·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if you had finished the ford gas tank swap pictured

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Not quite done yet. :rolleyes: I've got a million projects going on at once and the gas tank isn't on the top of the list right now. I did get it all plumbed up since that picture was taken, but I need to get the cab back on before I can fire it up. I will definitely post more pics and info as soon as I have them.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks iwll be looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
It is a Front Range Off-Road crossmember that Brian modified for me to work with the All-Pro disc e-brake. I really like the setup, it is very clean and sits inside of the frame rails and allows you to mount the drivetrain as high as you want.

I don't have a writeup on my install but Steve H has one on River City Rock Crawlers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
what year tank??

Mr Dirty or should I call you "Hairy";)
Could you tell me what year tank you used? I am thinking about doing this to my 84 carbureted longbed, any tips?
DETAILS DETAILS

·
Registered
103 Posts
thanks for that info! i've been researching different methods of fabbing my own xmember/skidplate and hadn't come across that design. very nice. thanks for the link!

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Hey Harry, better flip those xmember bolts over. They need to come up from the bottom. If you dont flip em before the cab goes on you'll be hole-sawing the floor to get your xmember out!

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Brian Ellinger said:
Hey Harry, better flip those xmember bolts over. They need to come up from the bottom. If you dont flip em before the cab goes on you'll be hole-sawing the floor to get your xmember out!
Yup - just installed one on Odie's 4Runner. There's no way to get those bolt's in from the top...

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
He does? He never answers my IM's. I feel lonely :(

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Its a Ford E250 van tank. If you search, you can find the dimensions he and/or SeaBass posted quite a while back (this site isn't working well for me from work, but I'll keep trying).

IIRC, its about 9" tall, just perfectly fits between the frame rails, and is about 22" in the other direction.

I helped him wire it up probably about a year ago and he got his truck running around last fall I think. His engine has a TON of mods and needs tuning to get it running right, but the tank and Ford pump seemed to work...

I plan on putting one in too, but I haven't had time to do anything to my truck in the last year or so. :(

·
Registered
9,385 Posts

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Erik thanks! I searched for posts by Harry and found the one I replied to. It was a short list and I found no mention of the E250 tank. Now I know what to look for! As for the gauge, I imagine you could use an aftermarket gauge? Or do those require their own sending units?

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I just knew to search for "e250 tank". ;)
(but I couldn't get the search to work for me for a while)

As for the guage, I don't know but I was going to look into it some more. I want to try to get the factory guage to work, but as long as it tells me when I'm getting close to empty and I use my tripmeter to keep track of the miles on each tank like I normally do, I probably won't worry about it too much. Especially since the tank is a lot bigger than my current (dented) tank.

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
ErikB said:
As for the guage, I don't know but I was going to look into it some more. I want to try to get the factory guage to work, but as long as it tells me when I'm getting close to empty and I use my tripmeter to keep track of the miles on each tank like I normally do, I probably won't worry about it too much. Especially since the tank is a lot bigger than my current (dented) tank.
Why not just retrofit the toyota sending unit into the tank? I know it will likely take some work, but should be doable... Then just adjust (bend) the arm until it reads what you want for the size of tank..

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyone have anymore pictures of DH setup? intrested to see how much it hangs below the frame.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts