Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried one of these? It is a Chicago electric or some such nonsense. They are on sale for 20 bucks, usually 40. They advertise 200 ft lbs. Thinking of using this ONLY in the boneyard with a car batt to remove axle U bolts and such. Would probably still have to use a breaker bar to loosen things up and then finish things off with this to save wear and tear on the shoulders and skin on the knuckles.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
This category of tool seemed like a fine product. Got a Snap-on one as a gift. Big Bucks.

Put my lugnuts on with it. Hey, I was 17.

Yup, tire flew off at 75. (northbound 101 between Morgan Hill and SJ) It's a scary thing to see your tire pass you on the hiway. I threw it away after I got towed home. Haven't touched one since.

-tom

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
I've used a 250 ft/lb air impact wrench to remove ubolts nuts. It don't work, this was on a 6 year old Toyota. Had to spend the whole time wrenching it anyway. :mad:

I wouldn't buy a 1/2" impact wrench under 400lbs now, waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
753 Posts
a guy in our club bought one of them several years ago...
Its pretty much a joke....
sounds like something winds up inside then whacks something to make the socket turn a bit.......

sorta like....
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz whack....buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz whack....
and the buzz's are a couple of seconds apiece....

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
ChiScouter said:
Anybody tried one of these? It is a Chicago Electric or some such nonsense.

There's your answer. Those tools aer trash. I had a Chicago Electric 8000lb winch, it caught on fire twice. My dad also has a sawzall, it bogs down on most anything but sheet metal. We used to have a grinder, you put a wire wheel on it, put it against some steel, and the wire wheel would stop, it didn't have the balls to turn with any force. It finally caught on fire.

·
Registered
765 Posts
twins?

i was looking at impact wrenches and it looks like Chicago El. is a twin of Craftsman/DeWalt impact wrench. The specs are almost the same. The price of Chicago El. is $70, Craftsman is $170.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Re: twins?

dennisuello said:
i was looking at impact wrenches and it looks like Chicago El. is a twin of Craftsman/DeWalt impact wrench. The specs are almost the same. The price of Chicago El. is $70, Craftsman is $170.

/B]

Those are 120V units.

I've got the one Northern sells

and wouldn't be surprised if it is the same as the Chicago Electric and/or Craftsman one.

I also have a DeWalt I picked up used on Ebay for about $60. I can tell you the DeWalt is definitely more powerful.....and up close there are slight differences in the cases and switches.

I only bought these to put up my shop (if you've put up steel buildings you know what I mean). Afterward I found them handy for little things (removing tranny xmembers, skidplates, etc) until I got the 220 wired and the compressor (80 gal) up and running........and could afford an IR 2131. Of course, I much prefer the 2131 and the electrics sit under the workbench :flipoff2:

I had one of the 12V units years ago from JCW.......it worked ok for what it was (my expectations weren't that high) but it eventually failed.

Basically the 12V ones are garbage, the 120V ones are ok if you're poor and can find one cheap (don't pay retail for Dewalt etc). If you really need a mobile impact for at the track or something, the 18V Milwaukee cordless units are damn impressive (again, for what they are) but they're $300.

Speaking of, I dunno why I'm holding onto the 120V models. I'd sell either one (Northern or DeWalt) for $30 plus shipping. Send me a pm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts