Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Wut?
14,914 Posts
If you choose to spend ebay/cl/offerup prices for snap on on anything else for that price, I wont say youre an idiot, but that youre making a big mistake.
Anyone who buys crap-on shit off ebay/etc... is a fucking moron. No truck is going to exchange shit or send it in for work. Oh they SAY they will, but they won't, none of the drivers/dealers will.

HF stuff, you run down, exchange, go back and keep working.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Anyone who buys crap-on shit off ebay/etc... is a fucking moron. No truck is going to exchange shit or send it in for work. Oh they SAY they will, but they won't, none of the drivers/dealers will.

If you have a HF close by. Nearest HF is a 9 hr round trip for me.

Craftsmen and Ace tool warranties are the most useful for me. Walk into any Ace store, plop it down, walk out with a new tool 5 mins later with no paperwork.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts

Craftsmen and Ace tool warranties are the most useful for me. Walk into any Ace store, plop it down, walk out with a new tool 5 mins later with no paperwork.
Duralast tools at Autozone are like that too. I returned a 20 year old great neck torque wrench I bought as a youngster and got a brand new Duralast. Tough to beat that.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts

Just send it in yourself, not really that hard:rolleyes: I'll never own another screwdriver other than SO. Yes they're that good, even had friends who use them comment on how well thry engage and how nice the tolerances are.

Theres been reports and videos about Icon sockets being soft. The rest of the lineup seems to be fairly good for the money. I've been buying Tekton instead though, generally more tool for your money. Only downfall is no over the counter replacement.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts

Problem is your nice USA Cman will be replaced with some shitty China knockoff. Thankfully they're finally bringing production back to the US. Those China Cman tools sucked shit.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Problem is your nice USA Cman will be replaced with some shitty China knockoff. Thankfully they're finally bringing production back to the US. Those China Cman tools sucked shit.
I think craftsman fucked themselves, too little too late. Unless they become a snap on competition made in USA, i dont see them making it

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Just send it in yourself, not really that hard:rolleyes: I'll never own another screwdriver other than SO. Yes they're that good, even had friends who use them comment on how well thry engage and how nice the tolerances are.

Theres been reports and videos about Icon sockets being soft. The rest of the lineup seems to be fairly good for the money. I've been buying Tekton instead though, generally more tool for your money. Only downfall is no over the counter replacement.

A good gun smithing set feel the same way.

Edit:
I have finger fucked the ICON line and they felt really good. I can justify the price because my older HF ratchets are holding up well and at 72 teeth they are great for my usage. I have returned on of their 1/2” torque wrenches after about 8 years of abuse. No questions asked. As every time I talke it to a buddies shop to compare to his calibrated ones it matches close enough. Same with my 3/8” one. I do want to buy a good 1/4 drive one. Might looknat the ICON line for that one. But my 3/8 seems to go low enough. And 8lbs and under I just do by hand. Its called fucking snug. :laughing:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
I think craftsman fucked themselves, too little too late. Unless they become a snap on competition made in USA, i dont see them making it
They did in my eyes. I have hundreds of old Cman USA sockets and plenty of the old wrenches and such. I will be good for awhile. I wont warranty exchange unless I get a USA tool and honestly, dont even consider buying Cman anymore. Tekton, even though its overseas, makes a quality product at a great price.
A good gun smithing set feel the same way.

Edit:
I have finger fucked the ICON line and they felt really good. I can justify the price because my older HF ratchets are holding up well and at 72 teeth they are great for my usage. I have returned on of their 1/2” torque wrenches after about 8 years of abuse. No questions asked. As every time I talke it to a buddies shop to compare to his calibrated ones it matches close enough. Same with my 3/8” one. I do want to buy a good 1/4 drive one. Might looknat the ICON line for that one. But my 3/8 seems to go low enough. And 8lbs and under I just do by hand. Its called fucking snug. :laughing:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Theres just something to be said about no slop engagement on a fastener.

They're torque wrenches are pretty solid in calibration. I have all three sizes and havent had any issues yet. They've measure up accurately to my old beam Cman.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Funny, my experience is the exact opposite.

Had a friend with a fucked up 1/2" long ratchet. He gave it to me to see if our local snap on guy could fix it. Turns out it was from the 70s or early 80s and the snap on guy didn't have the parts to fix it on the truck like they usually do. He gave me a new one off the truck to replace it. He knew it was from a friend of mine and not mine and our shop doesn't even buy much from snap on anymore.

I've never had to wait to have tools fixed from snap on.

I will also state that some of the new HF stuff is decent for the money too.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Stopped by HF today and fondled some of the stuff. They were out of the 3/8” ratchets which are where you really get a feel for the quality IMO. The 1/2” one seemed sort of notchy but they all do.

Their wrenches seemed a bit too thin to put a whole lot of force on without being uncomfortable, socket sets looked really nice and I like the storage trays. I’ve heard several reports about them being soft though unless it was just one particular batch with a bad heat treat.

I picked up a set of the Torx bits and figured I’d see what they’re made of before spending a bunch of $. Looked up the Tecton stuff on Amazon also and that may be the route I go with recommendations on here. I really like that you can buy individual sizes and the reality is a broken tool is likely to ride around in my car for a week before I’ve got time to go into the store and swap it out. Getting it in 2 days with prime will likely be easier and I’ve got extras of most stuff.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not sure why people keep talking about Snap-on, I’m not interested in it for doing my own work. I’m big on investing in quality tools for stuff that makes you $, but that isn’t the case anymore. It seems like the only people using it are the old school techs that bought it 40 years ago and the guys that collect tools in their spotless garages but take their vehicles to the dealer for an oil change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plenty of good suggestions given, my own toolboxes are combination of HF, GearWrench, older Craftsman, and various other brands - no Snap-on at least that I can recall...

Still abusing HF impact sockets I bought in 2004 or so - entire set accounted for:)

For my needs they do the job, if I was to rely on them professionally it would likely be upgraded on as needed basis.

A good friend owns an automotive repair business - Cornwell and Snap-on is primarily what I see him use, some of those tools he has used for more than 20 years - so to each his own...

I will add as far as screwdrivers go, I really like PB Swiss slotted/phillips sets that I got a few months back (wanted a nice set for a long time and decided on these).

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
I’m itching to start build my tool set with some of ICON & Pittsburg Pro in my tool box at work. :smokin:

Snap-off make nice tools but I’m unable to catch a tool truck to warranty my needle nose piler (fractured & made my hand bleeding), wire stripper/crimper (cracked), 12mm wrench (snapped in half & failed to take a single bolt out of ford ranger’s 4 u-joint yoke adapter bolts off), several screwdrivers (tips sheared clean off from normal use) for many years now. :shaking:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts

I do it all the time :homer: I've literally went through the shipping box with broken stuff in front of them and warrantied stuff right out the box. News flash cupcake it's not their choice. Call Snap on direct if your dealer gives you shit. The tech in the next bay needed slides for his cart, dealer was dragging his feet cause he's done the end of the month so he called corp. They drop shipped him a brand new cart. Don't let those dealers tell you how they want to do shit, they bought into a franchise.

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts
Except nearly all the "USA made" stuff is just as garbage as the Chinese counterparts anymore. No one gives a shit about quality products, just the bottom line. "MADE IN THE USA with global materials".

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Snap-off make nice tools but I’m unable to catch a tool truck to warranty my needle nose piler (fractured & made my hand bleeding), wire stripper/crimper (cracked), 12mm wrench (snapped in half & failed to take a single bolt out of ford ranger’s 4 u-joint yoke adapter bolts off), several screwdrivers (tips sheared clean off from normal use) for many years now. :shaking:
You know you can send them in right? A lot of times they will give you a shipping slip too. Even if they don't a flat rate padded envelope is cheap and is plenty for most tool warranties.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Plenty of good suggestions given, my own toolboxes are combination of HF, GearWrench, older Craftsman, and various other brands - no Snap-on at least that I can recall...

Still abusing HF impact sockets I bought in 2004 or so - entire set accounted for:)

For my needs they do the job, if I was to rely on them professionally it would likely be upgraded on as needed basis.

A good friend owns an automotive repair business - Cornwell and Snap-on is primarily what I see him use, some of those tools he has used for more than 20 years - so to each his own...

I will add as far as screwdrivers go, I really like PB Swiss slotted/phillips sets that I got a few months back (wanted a nice set for a long time and decided on these).
I have not had good luck with my HF impact socket set. Any time I've had something REALLY stuck and hammered it for awhile, the end belled out and they rounded off the nut/bolt head. I keep cutting them down, but they are no longer "deep well" sockets. 95% of the time they are fine, but I definitely need to get a name brand set of impact sockets at some point.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I ordered the Tekton 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2” ratchets last night as well as the 3/8 drive shallow metric socket set. I’ll see how they do before investing in the rest of their line, but it looks like decent stuff from the reading I’ve done.

I’ve always had both 6pt and 12pt socket sets and used them interchangeably for the most part. Aside from some exhaust manifold bolts and brake caliper bracket bolts, I don’t recall encountering a ton of 12pt stuff.

Thinking I may just buy the 1/2” drive set in both 6 and 12pt, and 6pt for the rest of them. Thoughts on that?

21 - 40 of 87 Posts