Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking at a way to get my Hi-Lift Jack out of the darn way. I had it wedged between the passengers door and seat for a while. Then I mounted it to the front bumper and kept worrying if I was going to destroy it on a rock or tree or something that just jumped in front of me at the last minute.

Here is what I came up with. You can buy the Kit for about $100 or go to your local hardware store and pick up a piece of galvanized punched angle and some stainless hardware for about $20 bucks. Take a look at my pics below. Let me know if this helps anyone please.

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
Hood mount looks good. However, with the Hi-Lift out in the weather, you will need to carry lots of WD-40 with you at all times as that jack won't work without lots of WD-40 and a few choice words :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just moved my jack also. mine had also been on the front bumper, and had already been beat up prety bad.
I got some scrap pieces of unistrut from work, bolted them to the hood hinges, put in a couple twirl nuts, and some all-thread.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2245000-2245999/2245174_32_full.jpg

after this pic was taken, I then made some rubber isolators that are about 2" tall to raise the jack and keep it away from the hood.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
i predict it won't last, sorry for the bad news:flipoff2:

sorry 2x :(

I can see it getting ripped off by a tree or rollover or even time loosening it up. The steel mount and brackets might hold up, but they are still bolted to sheet metal using two bolts none the less. 2 inch rubber mounts will only add to the stress on it already. Is it the 48 or 60 inch version? If its the 48 just weld a few threaded studs to the roll bar plates and slip it thru the holes then put some nuts on it to secure it. On CJs (without the new style seatbelts) they lay flat on the floor. I keep mine (YJ) attacked to the cage behind my seat.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
sorry 2x :(

I can see it getting ripped off by a tree or rollover or even time loosening it up. The steel mount and brackets might hold up, but they are still bolted to sheet metal using two bolts none the less. 2 inch rubber mounts will only add to the stress on it already. Is it the 48 or 60 inch version? If its the 48 just weld a few threaded studs to the roll bar plates and slip it thru the holes then put some nuts on it to secure it. On CJs (without the new style seatbelts) they lay flat on the floor. I keep mine (YJ) attacked to the cage behind my seat.
yep, that's right. i've had mine mounted in 1/2 dozen locals in 8 years. been there, done that. hard to find a safe, out-of-the-way place to mount AND still keep it easy/quick to get to, depending on how your junk is built. this on-top-of-the-hood local ain't cuttin it:flipoff2:

keep trying:D

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
But then again.....looking at your pics again i noticed u don't even have a stock rollbar let alone a cage:eek: You can't mount it to something that isn;t there i guess.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I've got my 60" across the front of my YJ, kinda high, the top is about even with the fender tops. I haven't been on any difficult stuff since mounting it there, but I know I'll have to be careful as it is the same width as the Jeep.
Travis..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Roll bar is a full cage had it out doing some work on it. I'd like to see some picks of how you guys mounted it to the roll bar if you have any. I have had it on the hood for some time now and it has not given me any trouble as far as getting loose but if I roll your right it would be hard to get too.

·
Registered
783 Posts
personally i dont like the looks of it mounted to the hood, or the front bumper. the punched angle looks like its already starting to tweak, and that thin of metal holding up a 60" highlift isnt a good idea. plus does your hood open up all the way as far as resting it on the windshield?
the unistrut one looks more secure but you better make sure those wing nuts are tight every time you go out. i can just see it getting loose and then the spring nut twisting out of there and by by high lift. dont know if you were just moking it up there right after you built it but cut that all thread shorter.
ive looked long and hard of where to mount mine, only 2 options i came up with was the roll bar, or rear bumper. didnt want to do the roll bar because it would hang off a little and i could just see it hitting a rock.
heres what i came up with, made a couple mouting brackets out of 3/16" steel and 1/2" all thread. its centered, each end is just inside each side of the jeep, and the tail gate opens with no issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just dont like the idea that thing will fly through your windsheild or somebody elses rear window "when it does" go flying.

·
Registered
191 Posts
yes, the pics of the unistrut one was taken wile I was mocking it up. I have sinse made some isolators to raise it up a little, the threads now only stick up to just about even with the wings on the wing nuts.

however, I'm still not 100% sure that I'm going to keep it on the hood. I'm looking into the posibility of moving it to the top of my storage box,
the only isue I'm having is that it needs to be able to fit with the "bulkhead" part of the storage box in tow different locations. the bulkhead can be mounted either behind the front seats(tonneau portion in place, and rear seat removed), or it can be mounted behind the rear seat(basically turns into an "insta trunk").

bulkhead in forward (tonneau cover) position,
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2245000-2245999/2245174_22_full.jpg

bulkhead in rear ("insta trunk") position,
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2245000-2245999/2245174_18_full.jpg

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
Roll bar is a full cage had it out doing some work on it. I'd like to see some picks of how you guys mounted it to the roll bar if you have any. I have had it on the hood for some time now and it has not given me any trouble as far as getting loose but if I roll your right it would be hard to get too.
Here is what I did. Mounts are nothing more than 2 inch electrical conduit clamps that had a bolt added. One of these days, I'll just weld two bolts to the roll bar but the electrical clamps work. BTW, the only reason my hi-lift was mounted so high was for my GSD to get in and out. It really should mounted as low as possible. This setup only works with 48 inch hi-lift.

http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/gallery/browseimages.php?c=15620&userid=
Double click on image to enlarge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts