Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I was wheeling with some friends and one of them blew a bead and we needed two hi lifts, one to stabilize his rig on one side and the other to lift the tire up so we could put air in it. I saw the most amazing thing. A hi lift jack that worked. He keeps his inside attached to the roll bar , mine is attached to the rear bumper. Needless to say mine was hard to get started and hard to get it to lower. When he used his it was effortless. When I got home I hosed mine off and tonight I spayed some silicon spray on it. I always thought the hi lift was just always hard to use since everyone I’ve ever seen use one struggled with it. But after cleaning and lubing my hi lift, it works great.:)

Now I know. Keep the hi lift clean and it will save you headaches on the trail.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Mine was hard to use when I first got it because they laid the powdercoat on a little too thick, the pin wasn't sliding into the slots easily enough. Enough work on it and it works fine now. I WD40 it on occasion but i haven't needed it much.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yuppers; WD-40 or Dupont Teflon spray and it glides like butter.

·
Registered
776 Posts
we used wesson oil once.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem I've seen with WD-40 is that is collects dirt which can gum up the mechanism. I've heard other suggestions of just simply putting water on the mechanism to help free it up.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
We use "MP Lube" nowadays versus WD40. It dries and remains effecitve, without attacting so much dirt. It's kind of like a good chain lube.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No matter what lube you use, always spray it on before using the jack...it'll be fine. WD 40 comes in tiny cans that'll fit in glove or tool box easy, that's why I use it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I keep a light coat of bearing grease on the pins of my Hi Lift and keep it inside the vehicle. I clean the mechanism every year or two and never have any problems with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts