Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November, I bought a Beijing Tools [hfreight] knock-off of the Hi-Lift. On sale. I think it was around $50 (normally, $60). I would like to know if anybody has had similar failures to mine (listed below) with either a genuine Hi-Lift or the Beijing knock-off.

Strike 1: Two months ago, I used it to level the side of a small box trailer parked sideways on notably inclined pavement while loading a piano: trailer + piano = <3500#.
After loading/securing the piano, while I was gradually ratcheting-down the jack it suddenly failed and dropped the trailer a foot to the ground. The load & trailer (leaf-springs/new tires) survived okay, but I was glad I advised my crew to stand-clear while I lowered the jack!

Strike 2: Ten days ago, I was using it to slightly align the tongue of the same trailer onto my hitch. This time while lowering, the tube handle jumped out of my hand and pinched my hand which was stabilizing the vertical "I" bar. Although wearing gloves, the resulting gash was probably stitch-worthy, but I opted to home-dress it (should be closed-up in another week).

I plan to return the jack to Beijing, waving the scar as sufficient cause. My central question is whether anybody has had any similar incidents with the original Hi-Lift? If so, then I'm just going to avoid these types of jacks, period. However, compared to the limited-throw of floor jacks their range is damn handy, so if the Hi-Lift is more reliable and less dangerous then I'll be upgrading.

I realize these incidents make me sound like an idiot, but I've been in the skilled trades for 41 years, so maybe I'm only half of one...

Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
Doesn't sound like a jack issue, sounds more like operator error.
In the best situation a hi-lift is dangerous in the hands of an amateur.
Best option, return it before you really get hurt.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
if it dropped suddenly without the bar smacking you in the mouth 50 times then it is in fact defective.

I have not used the HF one, I prefer to buy name brand shit that dangerous.

·
blatant asshole
12,110 Posts
Pin lock is a design flaw of the system. Chinese or hi-lift you have to keep them clean and lubed.

Your hand sounds like youre own damn fault.

Hi lift is a 120(+/-) y/o american company. I will always buy them vs knock off. Ive bent the i bars and still never had a functioning issues ao long as its lubed and clean. I bought the spare pin set and its still in the package since 2003.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
....... lowering, the tube handle jumped out of my hand and pinched my hand which was stabilizing the vertical "I" bar. Although wearing gloves, the resulting gash was probably stitch-worthy, but I opted to home-dress it (should be closed-up in.....
How is the tube slipping out of you hand the jacks fault? :laughing:

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
A hi lift might kill you. Why the fuck would you buy something that WILL kill you?
if it dropped suddenly without the bar smacking you in the mouth 50 times then it is in fact defective.

I have not used the HF one, I prefer to buy name brand shit that dangerous.
LOL! Truth!

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
fwiw, scissor jacks have a pretty phenomenal lift to overall size ratio and are much less likely to need attention :rasta:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
fwiw, scissor jacks have a pretty phenomenal lift to overall size ratio and are much less likely to need attention :rasta:
Those jacks that toyota used in the 80s and 90s (maybe later) are pretty sweet actually. Like a bottle jack, but no fluid to leak out. I will say, 35s are about the limit for their height. I always wanted to make a ~4" tall base for mine, but never did.

HI lift is kinda like a women, it might kill you, it definitely will hurt you, it doesn't always work correctly, but when you need one, it's the only thing that will work :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
For not much more than you spent on a questionable chinese jack you could've had a used hi-lift and a rebuild kit. My hi-lift is ancient and never given me trouble that I didn't cause. You do have to clean/lube them occasionally.

Hi-lifts are the three wheeler of the jack world, they're fine in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, but they will fuck a newbie up in an instant.

Those jacks that toyota used in the 80s and 90s (maybe later) are pretty sweet actually. Like a bottle jack, but no fluid to leak out. I will say, 35s are about the limit for their height. I always wanted to make a ~4" tall base for mine, but never did.

HI lift is kinda like a women, it might kill you, it definitely will hurt you, it doesn't always work correctly, but when you need one, it's the only thing that will work :flipoff2:
Full size Ford trucks jacks are pretty similar. I have a dirt bike stand made out of one. Welded a socket on so I can adjust with a drill instead of the crank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was expecting the abuse. Through the predictable bullshit I got the useful answer I sought: No; a well-maintained Hi-Lift won't ambush you. You get what you pay for, etc.
Cheers to the non-ranters...

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Doesn't sound like a jack issue, sounds more like operator error.
In the best situation a hi-lift is dangerous in the hands of an amateur.
Best option, return it before you really get hurt.
x2. OP is complaining about paying the stupid tax.

I would take a cheapo chinesium drop forged steel one over an aluminum one any day. Only the Europeans are dumb enough to make a part that flexes a ton in normal service out of aluminum.

Full size Ford trucks jacks are pretty similar. I have a dirt bike stand made out of one. Welded a socket on so I can adjust with a drill instead of the crank.
Yup. It's two telescoping screws and a ghetto bevel gear. I bolt them to old brake drums and rotors to make "precision" light duty jack stands. x2 on the welding sockets.

·
Registered
570 Posts
When used with caution and in the right circumstances, a Hi Lift is a great tool. But because they can be dangerous, I wouldn't skimp on $$ for a knockoff.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was expecting the abuse. Through the predictable bullshit I got the useful answer I sought: No; a well-maintained Hi-Lift won't ambush you. You get what you pay for, etc.
Cheers to the non-ranters...

I don't think you got much abuse, and my statement stands. A hi-lift is a dangerous tool.
My personal choice would be the name brand. but if you read, it has the same issue in untrained hands.
Its a dangerous tool not to be taken for granted.

A new pristine hi-lift certainly will kick your ass. Mechanically they work the same.
Your takeaway should be this tool needs to be used with full understanding of how the jacking and release mechanism works.
If you let go of that handle at the wrong time you might be picking up teeth, or cutting your hand.

Good luck, and be careful.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Buy the real one always.

I’ve never been hit harder than a handle to the jaw on a drop-drop-drop bounce decent.

Only to be used when nothing else will work in my opinion.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My genuine Hi Lift does the "drop" thing ! This reminds me to get it working properly again ....

Ya that was a dumb stupid thing. Realistically I fell down the staircase with one of her dressers and I ended up seriously with my head in the side of it so you ended up in the fire pit, it cost me a shit load of furniture so that was a very bad idea no moving her by myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I have a 5' off brand one, and a 4' hi lift one. They both work fine as long as I don't forget to hose them with weasel piss every few months. They rattle around in the back of whatever vehicle. Been used as pry bars, picks, shovels, axes, jacks....the Chinese one has a 1" curve from trying to drive off of it when I paralell parked my wheeler between two trees. We took the jack mechanism off, flipped it over, ran the truck over it a few times, and put it back together. Works fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts