Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Random Dude
908 Posts
I was expecting the abuse. Through the predictable bullshit I got the useful answer I sought: No; a well-maintained Hi-Lift won't ambush you. You get what you pay for, etc.
Cheers to the non-ranters...
Your reading comprehension is lacking. The drop you experienced was due to lack of lubrication (or cleaning and lubrication). Properly maintained, your prison labor art project should be as functional as a legit (non-chicom) farm jack.

My genuine Hi Lift does the "drop" thing ! This reminds me to get it working properly again ....
Blow off the dust/dirt, and lube the pins, and 99% chance it's good to go.

These 2 guys have shared what info. that you^ 2 guys need to understand:

Pin lock is a design flaw of the system. Chinese or hi-lift you have to keep them clean and lubed.
. . . don't forget to hose them with weasel piss every few months.
It's a simple mechanism. Understand and respect it if you want to use it.

Properly maintained and deployed, there's definitely a decent fraction of a chance you won't die from using it

. . . probably :laughing:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
cosmonaught said:
I was expecting the abuse. Through the predictable bullshit I got the useful answer I sought: No; a well-maintained Hi-Lift won't ambush you.
How the hell did you take that as your answer? A genuine Hi-Lift will fuck you up just as fast and in the same ways. They are a straight up dangerous tool. Smashing your fingers between a kicking handle and the beam is the #1 common way to get hurt, #2 is leaving the handle hanging out sideways with it under load and it decides to ratchet down on its own smashing you in the face with the handle, #3 is the jack and whatever you lifted tipping sideways and getting hit by the toppling jack or getting crushed by the load.

The genuine Hi-lift will operate a bit smoother and hopefully won't bust when you really load it, but the function and danger is the same as the chinesium one. Both you have to keep the pins well oiled. If they stick it will either skip down on you or refuse to lower. Don't ever let go of the handle when you're using it. Put the handle in the upright and locked position when it's holding weight. And don't ever trust one to stay put.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Haven't seen this thread so I'm late to the party. I was given a HF highlift knockoff as a gift when I was a teenager because my first truck didn't have a jack. I let it knock me out one of the first times I used. The handle did the jack off thing hitting me in the jaw (because like an amateur I had my head over the handle) woke up on the ground with the jack laying next to me. I still have it 25 years later and now it does what your saying the new one does. It will lift just fine as long as it doesn't change directions by itself, sometimes the selector will switch to down when you stroke the handle down. If you put the lever in the down position it kicks the pin out and drops the load all the way to the ground. It's lubed and stored inside and I can't make it quit kicking out. I've got it in a corner till I can cut pieces off of it before throwing it in the scrap yard. Don't want some poor sucker picking it up thingking it's useable.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts