Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to order a hi pinion front with 5:29’s.
Some companies offer a spool as an option and others do not. I’ve run a low set up front and rear with a spool with out issues until this past weekend and blew up the rear 3rd gear set. Going to swap the front 3rd to the rear and do the hi pinion up front to help with pinion angles and strength.
My question being. Can I run a spool hi pinion up front. If not recommendation on the locker choice.
I’m full hydro and have zero issues turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
About to order a hi pinion front with 5:29’s.
Some companies offer a spool as an option and others do not. I’ve run a low set up front and rear with a spool with out issues until this past weekend and blew up the rear 3rd gear set. Going to swap the front 3rd to the rear and do the hi pinion up front to help with pinion angles and strength.
My question being. Can I run a spool hi pinion up front. If not recommendation on the locker choice.
I’m full hydro and have zero issues turning.

Hp and v6 use the same carrier, so yes you can run a spool.

Did you check for run out on your rear spool? The general consensus is that spools deflect too much and can cause r&p failure and eventually bend.

Detroit or grizzly might be a better bet for the front.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You may not have a problem turning with a spool and full hydro but it still puts a huge bind on your front end components. I just installed a 5:29 high pinion 29 spline Detroit in mine but I haven't drove it yet. Knowing what I know now after blowing up a Detroit rear when an axle shaft let go I would go with a Grizzly.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
It will be exactly the same as you have now. Why would you think that a spool would make a difference in anything between hi and low pinion?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Id go with a full carrier locker over a spool in the front. Ran a Detroit for years in a HP third with no problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hp and v6 use the same carrier, so yes you can run a spool.

Did you check for run out on your rear spool? The general consensus is that spools deflect too much and can cause r&p failure and eventually bend.

Detroit or grizzly might be a better bet for the front.

No I haven’t check run out yet. 3rd gear clutch dumps on a ledge I think did it. But I will check.
Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may not have a problem turning with a spool and full hydro but it still puts a huge bind on your front end components. I just installed a 5:29 high pinion 29 spline Detroit in mine but I haven't drove it yet. Knowing what I know now after blowing up a Detroit rear when an axle shaft let go I would go with a Grizzly.

I’m hearing good things on the grizzly. Thank you sir

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will be exactly the same as you have now. Why would you think that a spool would make a difference in anything between hi and low pinion?

Some say it’s no Bueno in the high pinion front. And this is why I asked the question

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id go with a full carrier locker over a spool in the front. Ran a Detroit for years in a HP third with no problems.

A lot of people knock Detroit i’ve never ran one in the front. I ran a Detroit in the rear of a tow rig and loved it. Just engaged pretty harsh around turns.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
I would run a grizzly then (not Detroit) . But if you have had no issues with a spool, you probably aren't going to later. I run welded on everything because I do not feel the need to buy spools, when I do not care about weight, and my welder works very well. If I were going to spend any money on a front locker, it would be ARB. Whether I was full hydraulic or not. If I am going to spend money on lock, it better be able to unlock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would run a grizzly then (not Detroit) . But if you have had no issues with a spool, you probably aren't going to later. I run welded on everything because I do not feel the need to buy spools, when I do not care about weight, and my welder works very well. If I were going to spend any money on a front locker, it would be ARB. Whether I was full hydraulic or not. If I am going to spend money on lock, it better be able to unlock.

Yes sir I agree. Arb’s are expensive and worth the money. A lot of the guys I wheel with run them and wouldn’t go another route.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
id run a welded factory carrier instead of a spool, less carrier deflection will increase gear strength and imo a factory carrier is going to deflect less than a spool will under shock loads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts