Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for some opinions on cut and spun front axles. what would you rather run a hi pinion or a cut/spun axle.
the reason im asking is because I have a cut/spun axle with 5.29s and a detroit its low pinion. the axle works and I like it but now im ready to upgrade to some longs and I would like to swap out the detroit with an arb.
what would you sudgest keeping cut/spun axle and upgrading longs now and possible upgrade to arb later on.
or sell cut/spun axle and replace with a stock solid axle(I have one too) do the longs and replace pinion with a hp 5.29 arb.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would believe that running a hi pinion and a cut spun front would lead to oiling problem

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I would believe that running a hi pinion and a cut spun front would lead to oiling problem
Have you had problems with your low pinion?

Might talk to a few people first. I'd think the hp has better oiling in front applications. So if the lp works, the hp should work better?

·
Registered
380 Posts
All I know is that Hi pinion ring gear is 30% stronger than a standard cat, plu s you get better driveshaft clearance and less drive line angle. It is recommended only for the front though

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
All I know is that Hi pinion ring gear is 30% stronger than a standard cat, plu s you get better driveshaft clearance and less drive line angle. It is recommended only for the front though
wasnt there the whole talk about it being 30% stronger going forward but 30% weaker in reverse so it pretty much equaled out. i thought i remembered reading that a long time ago here.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
wasnt there the whole talk about it being 30% stronger going forward but 30% weaker in reverse so it pretty much equaled out. i thought i remembered reading that a long time ago here.
Not equal in real world application though. You drive forward a hell of a lot more than reverse. Drive forward climbing hills. I see front ends bouncing all the time going up hills. I think that jarring is handled better by the h.p..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts