Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the right way to install high steer arms on Chevy knuckles?

Any torques specs?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
make sure they are bare metal to bare metal contact, no paint or powder coating between them. friction between the parts is what takes alot of the load. not sure on the torque specs

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
gumbojeepyj said:
make sure they are bare metal to bare metal contact, no paint or powder coating between them. friction between the parts is what takes alot of the load. not sure on the torque specs
Absolutely the most important thing in the whole procedure to remember.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Sky Manufacturing tall d44 arms (they are sooooo sweet! Very beef and they fit very precisely).

With the studs I ordered with the Sky arms, one half of the thread is longer than the other side of the stud. Does the longer or shorter thread go into the knuckle? How do you know that the stud is threaded to the correct depth in the knuckle?

Lock washers came with the kit, should I use any threadlocker as well?

What should everything be torqued down to? Is 85 ft/lbs right?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
RSQJEEP said:
I have the Sky Manufacturing tall d44 arms (they are sooooo sweet! Very beef and they fit very precisely).

With the studs I ordered with the Sky arms, one half of the thread is longer than the other side of the stud. Does the longer or shorter thread go into the knuckle? How do you know that the stud is threaded to the correct depth in the knuckle?

Lock washers came with the kit, should I use any threadlocker as well?

What should everything be torqued down to? Is 85 ft/lbs right?
Install the suds with the shorter threaded section in the knuckle. Use two nuts threaded against each other on the stud to install it. Thread it in all the way.
Throw the lock washers away. They are junk. Use a good thread locker and lock nuts. I use Caterpillar Retaining Compound on all my chassis parts. It is expensive, but well worth the cost.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Got it all torqued down real good, but I did use the lockwashers (installed it before I read your post) and thread locker.

The Sky Arms and hardware kit are excellent quality! Very strong and fit perfect!

Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts