Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I started putting together my numbers so I can order my new drive shafts and discovered that my front drive shaft will have to approach angles of 35* if I am to take advantage of my coil overs full length.

There are a lot of good guys out there like Coast Driveline, Tom Woods, Tattom, but unfortunately those guys don't have a solution that won't introduce driveline vibrations.

Has anyone else run into this problem and what did you do to solve this outside of limiting straps.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have vibes....

And my driveline is not ideal with 17" coilovers, I have limited options. I did consider a limit strap (of which I will probably do anyhow). CV was not an option per the prices and sizes of them would get too close to my transmission. I have to run a super skinny 'torsion bar style' driveline to avoid the transmission when flexed. I did have the throat of my 1350 Atlas yolk hit the ears of the driveline though. To clear the throat, I used one of Tom Woods offset U-joints. Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - Super Flex

Again, I have vibes. :shaking:

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Build a 2.5" diameter driveshaft with 1410 yokes and apply die grinder where necessary. My rear driveshaft is 32* at full droop and I only had to grind a little off the driveshaft slip.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Pics are worth a thousand words for your specific application....

Here are a couple of options however...
Toyota joint setups can take more angle.
D60 steering joint setups can take more angle.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I am making my own for this new buggy out of some twisted d60 shafts I saved but am using it as a mid shaft so both yokes will weld right onto DOM.

50 degrees is easy with clearanced d60 yokes :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take some pics when I get home. The issue I have is my working space/envelope. Apperantly, the JK transfer case has a protrusion on it that creates interference with anything larger that a 1350 type CV. I haven't validated this as of yet, its just feedback from the driveshaft makers

The ride hight is 18* and full droop is 35*. This is for the front and I do have locking hubs so I could manage the vibration. But, I prefer to avoid the vibration if possible.

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
I will take some pics when I get home. The issue I have is my working space/envelope. Apperantly, the JK transfer case has a protrusion on it that creates interference with anything larger that a 1350 type CV. I haven't validated this as of yet, its just feedback from the driveshaft makers

The ride hight is 18* and full droop is 35*. This is for the front and I do have locking hubs so I could manage the vibration. But, I prefer to avoid the vibration if possible.
i would go toyota cv if you can, they are equivalent strength to a 1350 and will do 35*

my buddy broke a 14b axle shaft with his toy cv, so they are more then strong enough imo.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had read up on high angle driveline on here and a few guys made some pretty nice setups from twisted/broken d60 shafts as stated above. Seemed to have better possibilities than some of the off shelf parts and was not quite as expensive to obtain.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
i would go toyota cv if you can, they are equivalent strength to a 1350 and will do 35*

my buddy broke a 14b axle shaft with his toy cv, so they are more then strong enough imo.
I ran one behind a 425hp 350 with everything from 37's, 39" reds and 42" PBR's. I broke (2) rear hp D60 r&p's, (2) 4340 35 spl shafts, and (2) rd36's...all different failures on the same Toyota based driveline. For the front we had to go 1410 with flanged yokes to get the angle/ strength that I needed.

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
I ran one behind a 425hp 350 with everything from 37's, 39" reds and 42" PBR's. I broke (2) rear hp D60 r&p's, (2) 4340 35 spl shafts, and (2) rd36's...all different failures on the same Toyota based driveline. For the front we had to go 1410 with flanged yokes to get the angle/ strength that I needed.
i love me some toy drive lines :smokin: i run single joints no cv's and have broken a lot of stuff with em :grinpimp:

·
P.B.A.
4,376 Posts
I have a Toyota ifs cv modded and a heavy wall shaft runs a little over 20 degrees at ride height and is limited by a strap to 35 degrees. 60 mph at the dunes very minimal vibration.

the Toyota ujoint strength is comparable to 1350 stuff according to many people on here. Also high angle driveline makes a flange for almost any application.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Jk? Anyone make a flange or yoke to replace the stock..... "Thing?"
Standard flanges/yokes are widely available. Jks come with rezeppa style joints which almost everybody replaces.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts