Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bonjour,

I am writing for my friend who own a Suzuki.

His baby is a '84 lifted spring-over Samurai with Grand Vitara V6 engine and special Samurai tcase (Low:4.163).

Because driveshafts are short (really short!) and lift is major, he would like to implement reverse high pinion front and rear differentials to decrease driveshaft inclinaison.

Question: He already have installed Toyota truck 8" diff. on his rig. What are the options?

P.O.

P.S.: This post is cross posted into the Toyota forum.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I´ve no ideas for the diffs, but.............

LET´S SEE SOME PICS OF THE ENGINE BAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Perfect Obsession said:

Because driveshafts are short (really short!) and lift is major, he would like to implement reverse high pinion front and rear differentials to decrease driveshaft inclinaison.

Question: He already have installed Toyota truck 8" diff. on his rig. What are the options?
He has several options.

1) get the fj80 stock high pinion. You can do ARB, open, LSD, Detriot, and Lockwrongs in them.

2) Get the elocker from http://www.inchwormgear.com. It's a spool when locked, open when unlocked.

Cost? About $1500 with everything (new) including gears and setup, unless your going to run stock gears, which makes the elocker dirt cheap compared to the rest.

You'll have to grind, drill, tap, and weld on the diff to use the elocker - it's easier than it looks/sounds. Seriously, I did it in about 3 hours.

The disadvantage of running the high pinion in the rear - you'll need to overfill the diff to keep the high pinion bearing lubed, because the it's running backwards from what it was designed to run. You may also experience gear failure with it - that V6 puts out more than the wimpy 1.3 liter I'm running with mine.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I´m gonna hold you to that there engine bay pic!!!!:D

BTW, what´s with the fender flares on that Zuk?? They don´t look stock........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts