Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to think of some budget options for converting my ifs toyota to solid axle. I have a set of one tons out of an 86 f350 front is a king pin high pinion dana 60 and rear is a sterling. The problem that I am encountering is that the front output on the toyotas Tcase is on the passenger side. I was wanting to take the knuckles off and take the tubes out of the differential housing. and then swap the short tube to the passenger side and the long tube to the drivers side. Has this been done before. I know I would have to keep my caster the same and cutting the Cs of can be done, but what worries me is taking the tubes out of the differential housing.

I want to do this because then I wouldn't have to buy Dirty 30s or longfields. Not that I have anything against them but I think I might be able to save money by doing it this way. I would just have to regear it to 5.38s. I wouldn't have to worry about rims and tires cause I already have them. I definately would not have to worry about broken ring and pinions as much as I would with the toyotas 8inch diffs.

Unless you all know of a Tcase that has front output on the drivers side besides the Lefty. WAY TO MUCH $$$!!!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Yes, it's pretty simple if you have the correct tools.

Just search this site for retubing/narrowing axles.

There are some vendors on here that sell the alignment pucks and bar you will need to get everything back lined up. You can do it yourself if you are at least mildly compentent with a welder and power tools.

Do it and do a write up here on your progress.:grinpimp:

(BTW I have a set of 89 F-350 axles that I may end up doing the same thing too)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I

Unless you all know of a Tcase that has front output on the drivers side besides the Lefty. WAY TO MUCH $$$!!!
(PCE alert on myself!)
Not 100% sure if they "bolt in" but someone on this site knows. Look for a Tacoma t-case, driver side drop. Possible to find a Taco owner that would swap t cases, so they can just run a Toyota axle. Search more on that, but that would be the route I would look at.

Or sell you axle and buy the one you need:flipoff2:

EDIT: Talk to this guy about swaping tcases...

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
'95+ t-case could be bolted in, but it would still require an adapter, and then is not so cheap because the adapter from a crawl box to a 95+ case is more expensive than a standard dual case adapter. Plus you'd need to find the new t-case.

You also didn't say what drivetrain you have (v6? 4cyl? auto?), so who knows if you might need other adapters.

Nothing about this swap sounds cheap if you ask me, but there are tons of ways to get it done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts