Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I searched, but no one has a setup similar to mine...

I have decided to put a Toy 8" under the rear of my Jeep Comanche truck, I would like to use a high pinion 3rd for obvious reasons. I understand that a high pinion is weaker when run in the rear, but the Toyota axle thing is all pretty new to me. So I would just like some opinions on if a high pinion third will hold up under my truck....

about 3500 pounds (weighted heavily to the front), about 180 horse and 220 lb/ft torque, measily gear reduction (about 45:1), 35 inch tires... not too hard on the go pedal....

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The superior Toyota parts will reject your jeep. :flipoff2:

Seriously, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If it's not a good idea for a Toyota, it's gotta be a worse idea for you.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Can you fit or modify to fit standard rotation gears in the hi pinion , or does it rely on reverse rotation for oiling duties ?:p

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Don't do it. Everyone who has tried to run a HP Toyota diff in the back has destroyed it. Talk to Marlin about it and he'll give you very good technical reasons why it's a bad idea. Stick with standard cut in back and go HP in front.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Daveyclimber said:
Can you fit or modify to fit standard rotation gears in the hi pinion , or does it rely on reverse rotation for oiling duties ?:p
If it rotated in reverse, it would be going the wrong way.:rolleyes: Reverse-CUT is the term you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
If you run a high pinion in the rear, you will eat pinion bearings for breakfast, because they have no way of oiling themselves in a rear axle. If you are really stuck on putting a toy rear axle under your jeep (is this some sort of theme today?) then go with a v6 third, and deal with the low pinion. But also, you are going to have issues with spring over versus under, stud pattern, mating of drive shafts etc.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
montezuma said:
is this some sort of theme today?
Really!! These wankers want toy performance in jeep clothing - what's the deal? Also, how many of them will get $$ into it before realizing that their SAE tools wont fit?

....waste of perfectly good toyota parts, putting them under a mail truck.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If it rotated in reverse, it would be going the wrong way. Reverse-CUT is the term you are looking for.

Thanks Bad Karma for the reality check:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
rockota said:
Don't do it. Everyone who has tried to run a HP Toyota diff in the back has destroyed it. Talk to Marlin about it and he'll give you very good technical reasons why it's a bad idea. Stick with standard cut in back and go HP in front.
not everyone, a guy i wheel with in town has run a high pinion in the rear of his truck, he is not easy on things but it has held up, i wouldnt do it but it works for him

Ben

·
Registered
267 Posts
TOY PARTS ON A JEEP?!!!!!!!!!!

Even if you put the motor/tranny/t-case/drivelines/axles into it, it would still be a HEEP!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
dont do it, just run a V6 rear. the clearance difference is minimal. the question I have is why not a D44?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts