Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where did Jimbo92 come from? It came from the 1992 Explorer I got in high school 17 years ago. It was a 2 door 5 speed 2 wheel dig that was actually lowered when I got it. Baja Blue in color and ready to party. Dude must have done a ton of drugs in it because I got pulled out of class every time the drug dogs came.

This truck has major history. I learned more on it than any other vehicle. I met my fiancé giving her a ride home in it 16 years ago, we dated in it, we worked on it, we converted it to 4 wheel drive, it even ended up featured in her yearbook even though we went to different high schools. Fast forward to 13 years after I sold it sitting at a bar on Folly drinking and laughing about how funny it would be to find it and have it at our wedding....so I got to searching. Found it behind a guys trailer in the woods next town over. A little worse for wear but a crazy little time capsule. Even has some of my stickers still on it from high school.

Original plan was to clean it up, spray some paint on it and play a wedding prank with it. The project has sort of escalated from there.

I've got a built 9" and 44 in the garage from an early bronco.

9": Currie hi9, 488s, arb, 35 spline chromos, truss, and discs

44: 4:88s, arb, reid racing knuckles, crane diff cover, high steer, chromos, ctm joints, and a truss.

These are getting mounted via a james duff long travel SAS setup with 5.5" deaver EB coils and spring over in the rear.

Have McNeil racing 4" flared glass fenders on the way, corbeau Baja rs seats, 35 bfg ko2s, and method wheels as well.

First step is to replace the clutch that is shredded and hanging out of the bell housing and get it drive-able and go from there.

Should be a neat little trip down memory lane and I've finally found a project I won't be able to sell! I'm basically building the truck I used to draw when I was bored in class.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Parts have been rolling in for the last few weeks. Ended up buying a parts truck instead of running back and forth to the junkyard finding misc crap. Parts truck has a clean grey interior (mine is the ugly blue) so its getting swapped as well. Also scored on the parts truck having ice cold A/C with R12 so those parts will get swapped over as well and recharged with R12. Drove it an hour and a half home, best $500 bucks I have spent so far.

Luckily my seats had not been built yet due to waiting on some bracket so I was able to switch from black to grey vinyl with grey cloth centers. Ended up getting the heaters and lumbar as well. My James Duff coil buckets, shock towers, track bar bracket, coil retainers, and axle wedges are sitting in the garage, and my long travel radius arms and coils should be here in a few days.

For steering I went with 1 1/2" 1/4 DOM with 7/8" heims from Barnes 4wd and went with the same material for the track bar with their offset bracket for the axle side.

Rear is their spring plate kit for the 9"

I have been cutting brackets (axles were in a buggy) and grinding, and grinding, and grinding for the last few days getting these axles ready for the truck. Front is in good shape, I should just have to go through the hubs and service the bearings and seals and be good to go.

The rear is a little more tricky. The 4:88 gear set in the 9" is stripped so it needs to be replaced ( knew this going in). Ill get it torn down and I am assuming I will have to order the gear set directly through Currie. When I spoke with them this morning they also told me I would need to tear it down before ordering parts to see which pinion bearing I need. I also need axle bearings and seals as well. As far as brakes go it has some sort of rotor covered in surface rust that should turn out fine and what looks to be eldorado calipers. I need hammer down which exact kit it is so I can order some new hardware/lines and make sure I get the right calipers.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Love the back story, looking forward to seeing more of the build.

Prepare yourself for sticker shock on the price of Eldo calipers. Also there are 2 different sizes of the Cadillac e-brake calipers depending on the year, cant remember the split off the top of my head. Also prepare yourself for them not to work without a lot of tinkering. Also sorry if you weren't prepared for so much info :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love the back story, looking forward to seeing more of the build.

Prepare yourself for sticker shock on the price of Eldo calipers. Also there are 2 different sizes of the Cadillac e-brake calipers depending on the year, cant remember the split off the top of my head. Also prepare yourself for them not to work without a lot of tinkering. Also sorry if you weren't prepared for so much info :grinpimp:
Dangit....Well the parking brake didn't work all through high school so whats the difference haha.

I know alot less about old ford stuff than I thought. Apparently these 9" rears are "early large bearing" so it limits you on disc brake conversions. I would love to be able to utilize explorer discs with their drum style parking brake but I cant seem to find a setup that works. I have seen mustang cobra conversions from currie but they are stupid expensive.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yeah the large bearing is what you want for what you're building here so that part good. You can usually make the caddy ebrakes work by moving the mounting point of the cable away from the arm such that when fully released the cable is tight and the first bit of parking brake pedal engagement moves the arm on the caliper. Even then I've never had a set work as good as properly adjusted drums...

·
P.B.A.
4,378 Posts
Very cool back story. I’ve had my ranger since high school. I’ve been contemplating stripping it for another project. Just not sure I can do it.

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
When you get started on it move the front forward and the rear back. The rear you can push back 1-2" just with spring perches, the front go at least 2" forward- it doesnt really take any extra work.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did some digging yesterday and figured out I have the James Duff disc brake kit with 85 eldorado calipers. I have the calipers they are just rusty so I'll use them as cores for a new set and that will save a ton. Duff put me in contact with their supplier and I was able to get the rubber lines they use, and the adapter that runs from the OE park brake cable to the caddy park brake.

Spoke with Clemson 4 wheel today and my wheels and tires are in and they have the tracking number for my seats (looking like next week for those). My fenders should be showing up in anderson about the same time at the grey hound terminal so I can scoop everything in one trip. Also got my Arb compressor, switch, and solenoids from Clemson as well. Went with the mid level compressor so I can air up tires every now and then and air up the air mattress when camping.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you get started on it move the front forward and the rear back. The rear you can push back 1-2" just with spring perches, the front go at least 2" forward- it doesnt really take any extra work.
Nice, yeah that was the plan. The spring plates have the multiple center pin holes and the radius arms have a good bit of adjustment so I figure Ill play around with it and see where everything seems to sit the happiest. Its at a 102 wheel base from the factory so I figure in that neighborhood of 104 should be good for my anticipated ride height on a 35. These things have a super flat belly so that will be nice as well. Not much hanging down to worry about snagging on.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Parts car made a great addition to our "White Trash" Halloween costume. It was an outdoor party so it made quite the entrance with lawn equipment stuffed in the back, jamming classic rock, and revving with the muffler blown out. The 5 speed, damp pavement, 3:73 gears and 27" tires also made for quite the show leaving while yelling "DO IT FOR DALE" on our way out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
good story line, good parts coming in, looking forward to the build. Eldo calipers are not bad. I've got them on the explorer. They don't hold very well, but they are better than nothing.

Dan is right about them being 2 different sizes. I have the smaller ones, which are their own size in relation to the "pins" that mount them to the caliper bracket. The newer ones run the same 7"ish size between mounting pins as a C/K series 10 and 20 truck. I recommend going with the later version, then using a weld on disk brake bracket from Ruff Stuff. A set of early 90s f150 front 4wd rotors work perfect for rear rotors.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the info folks. This is why the internet can be great. Got my front housing all ground down last night and the rear is about 80 percent. What a dusty freakin mess that is. I'll be blowing black boogers for a week. Hopefully with a new flapper disc I'll have time to finish it off tonight. Also dropping my 3rd off tonight to get rebuilt. Hoping to start tearing out my axles next weekend and getting the truck ready for these.

*dent in the quarter was the result of doing doughnuts in a field in 10th grade. Tire blew off the rim and when the rim caught over she went. Went and made a fake accident scene and lied to my parents about a deer running out in front of me and rolling the truck trying to avoid it. I have a picture somewhere of the birthday cake Mom made me to make fun of it...little matchbox car suv she painted to match laying on its side on the cake and a plastic deer. It was pretty funny.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Finally picked up my coils and radius arms yesterday from a guy on NC4x4. Started building an early bronco yota hybrid and never finished. These things are crazy beefy, and from what I have read the coils are a good rate for what im trying to accomplish.

Clemson 4wheel sent me pics of my tires and wheels mounted up so now I am really getting the itch to get the axles under it. They turned out to be a great modern version of what I had on it in high school. My fenders should be in by the end of the week and I will go pick everything up together. Mom managed to dig out some more throw back pics of the thing and found a pic of the infamous cake.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cleaned up my area in the garage and organized some parts tonight. Got the wedges bolted to the axle with the radius to begin mockup under the truck. Plan is to get everything under it, cinch the bolts down and set my castor on the alignment machine at work. Once I get it all set I'll tack and burn everything in back at the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Looks familiar. I remember mocking up my cage arms on my 44 many moons ago. Love the build story here and the nice parts going into it!

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
why the spacer? With the Duff arms and the tire size you are going with, i wouldn't think you would need them

1 - 20 of 51 Posts