Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i finally got my Marlin High Steer arms on and made a tie rod and drag link. Drove it a few hundred yards around the shop last night, and the first thing i noticed was that my turning radius was way less. I mounted an 87' power steering box i think. Do they usually have less travel? I can take some pics of how everything is mounted....pretty much the normal way. The bottom bolt holes are almost level with the ground ( the bolt on the right is a tad bit higher). ANyway,, wondering if i fawked something up. DO the little bearings in the box have anything to do with the mamount of travel. Oh, and i found the center of the travel of the pitman arm.....soun the wheel a total of about 2.8 rotations, and then went back 1.4 and put the arm on. It seems as though it is correct, just the travel isn't that much

Aside from that stuff, it felt really solid. I tried driving over some bumps, and i noticed no bumpsteer at all....it felt so much better.

Thanks fellas for any insight.
Toymachine

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Assuming the steering box was correctly centered you will get the same turning radius as the stock setup. The box must be centered, with the wheels straight, then you can put on the pitman arm. If you install the pitman arm with the box turned a bit, the steering will turn sharper one way and less sharp the other.

Lift up the front end with a floor jack under the front axle. Turn your wheels left and right. The steering should go all the way to the steering stops both ways. If not, you will need to remove the pitman arm and reinstall it with the box and the wheels centered ahead.

If you wheels are turning to the point that the steering stops contact, that is the limit of the steering. This is the same limit on the factory steering.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Chris Geiger said:
Assuming the steering box was correctly centered you will get the same turning radius as the stock setup. The box must be centered, with the wheels straight, then you can put on the pitman arm. If you install the pitman arm with the box turned a bit, the steering will turn sharper one way and less sharp the other.

Lift up the front end with a floor jack under the front axle. Turn your wheels left and right. The steering should go all the way to the steering stops both ways. If not, you will need to remove the pitman arm and reinstall it with the box and the wheels centered ahead.

If you wheels are turning to the point that the steering stops contact, that is the limit of the steering. This is the same limit on the factory steering.
I did not do this when doing Hi-steer. I believe I now have a problem with the pitman arm being straight (or steering box straight) when the wheels are straight.

Questions:
1. Could this be causing some questionable steering issues? Like pulling to the right and perhaps more play in one direction then the other. Toe in is setup at 1/8".
2. When putting the wheels straight besides doing a visual is there a measurement method I can use to check to make sure my wheels are straight??
3. Does it sound like I need to redo my steering?

Perhaps a step by step alignment guide should be placed in the FAQ's ?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
btt.... surely something knows or has a good idea.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Pulling to one side can be caused by many things inlcuding uneven wheel base. Check the wheel base on the left and right side of your truck and see if it is the same.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Chris Geiger said:
Pulling to one side can be caused by many things inlcuding uneven wheel base. Check the wheel base on the left and right side of your truck and see if it is the same.
Thats a good idea. Doesn't exactly answer my questions but I will check the wheel base.

Like I stated before I believe I have a problem with the pitman arm being straight (or steering box straight) when the wheels are straight.

Questions:
1. Could this be causing some questionable steering issues? Like pulling to the right and perhaps more play in one direction then the other. Toe in is setup at 1/8".
2. When putting the wheels straight besides doing a visual is there a measurement method I can use to check to make sure my wheels are straight??

10-22-2004 02:04 PM

·
Registered
6,971 Posts

10-22-2004 02:04 PM
1. "Questionable steering issues" is way to vague.

2. Just look at it and do it.

3. You need to redo anything that was not done correctly.

From the sound of it you are not sure about what you are doing. You may want to have the work looked at by someone that has done this before.

·
Registered
988 Posts
did you line up the line on the pitman arm up with the line on the steering box.
if you didnt then the pitman arm may be off center.

derek

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
derek said:
did you line up the line on the pitman arm up with the line on the steering box.
if you didnt then the pitman arm may be off center.

derek
Yes I did line up the marks on the pitman arm and the spline.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't see any lines on my box, but I just:
1. spun the wheel lock to lock, then spun it back one way half the amount of turns, and the box should be centered.

2.Then i tried to eyeball the pitman arm straight. It isn't that hard, because changing by one spline makes a significant displacement at the end of the arm.

Then i attached everything. My problem was i remeber that the wheels were turned a little to the passeneger side. So when i hooked everything up. the box was centered, yet the wheels weren't, so it turns a little more to the passenger side than the driver. It seems to drive fine , but i will change it shortly.

I dont remember if the frame curves in or not in the front. If it doesn't, then just put your wheels and tirres on, and measure to the inside of the frame. Clamp something like a flat piece of metal or board to the frame to extend it down so you can measure to the tire. Make sure the measurements are the same in the back and front of tire. Then hook the stuff up, then measure the 1/8 toe in.

I just madee this up, but if the frame is straight, it should work i would think. Otherwise just find a different reference frame.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lord Orange said:
So unbolt it and turn it in.

Uh... if you read a little pass where you quoted me, you will see that i said i would fix that. I was just letting "Renaud33" know what i did, and my problem....maybe it would help them. I hate it when people start yelling at each other on here (you didn't, but made an comment that was pretty obvious), but i am not an idiot. Obviously i knew what was wrong so i would fix it, which i said in my post. I guess people have just argued so much on here, that they practice "selective reading", only reading the things that allow for a response of how stpid the person is. Oh well, anyway, i think this thread has provided both myself and Renaud with enough help. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Is it possible you have too short a pitman arm?

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Did you read the page I posted a link to above? I have a pretty much step-by-step guide to how I aligned my steering, including lining the front tires to the rears, centerering everything and setting the toe. Before I did all the steps listed on my page, I had all sorts of strange sttering issues, pulling to one side, assymetric steering to one side vs. the other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts