Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the dimensions & brand of your high steer arms. I've been running a 5.0 in my '85 Xtra cab (with 4 1/2" springs & 2" body lift) for years now & have put off high steer for fear of the oil pump being in the way. Trail gear techs give me the run a round & say i'm over complicating this but I know damn well what room I have & i'm not going to piss away $300 just because he said it SHOULD fit. I need to know the gap between the tie rod & the spring & the center distance between the tie rod end & the front stud. Trail gear said the tie rod hole is the same distance from the axle as stock, just elevated. My stock hole is 6" centered from the front stud. I just measured a friends truck with high arms that had 4 1/8" centered spacing. These arms would give me plenty of clearance but he bought the truck third owner with the arms already installed & we don't know what brand they are. I'm more than aware that the axle will move rearward when the spring flexes but not near as much as the drag link pivoting forward when the pitman moves side to side. This forward movement is whats causing contact with with my oil pump. Height of the drag link when flexing with the wheels straight it will bearly clear but turn the wheels & it makes full contact. If it would clear the pump I can modify the pan to fit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
112 people read my post so far & not one of them has high steer arms or knows how to use a tape measure? It's not that difficult. It's a question that thousands of you guys could easily help me with. It's not in FAQ so it shouldn't piss anybody off. Please help. CDF94toy, thanks for the reply but I still would like to rule out the other easily available brands before I have a custom set made but I will keep them in mind if nobody else can help me.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
112 people read my post so far & not one of them has high steer arms or knows how to use a tape measure?
I know why :laughing:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
112 people read my post so far & not one of them has high steer arms or knows how to use a tape measure? It's not that difficult. It's a question that thousands of you guys could easily help me with. It's not in FAQ so it shouldn't piss anybody off. Please help. CDF94toy, thanks for the reply but I still would like to rule out the other easily available brands before I have a custom set made but I will keep them in mind if nobody else can help me.
its dark and rainy, tomorrow after work ill put a tape measure to my marlin arms for you

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Stand by...

·
Registered
46 Posts
i just bought a truck, prior owner said to be trailgear highsteer. measures 5 1/4" from center of trunion pin to center of tierod end. it's 7 1/4" from trunion pin to drag link tie rod end. the tie rod measures 3 1/4" above the spring pad on the axle housing, to the bottom of the tie rod. hopefully that all makes sense.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I know my T/G arms and my all pro arms measure out the same. I'll see if I can find a tape. Don't get your panties all in a bunch just yet. Also, sometimes after modifiying one thing I relize that somthing else might need to be adjusted. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you want high steer, then do it and make it work. If it's to involved for you then run what you got.

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
The first pic is from an old skool All Pro welded arm. From the back of the arm to the center of the draglink hole is right at 9 3/8", and the tie rod hole is about 2" back from that. This is an arm for Heims, not TRE's.

The second picture is my installed Marlin 25mm pin arms, and those arms are 1/2" shorter, and the spacing between the holes is less as well. Enough so that my heims were hitting each other, so I had to make a spacer for the drag link.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! Thanks for all the response. Didn't mean to get my panties in a wad, I just try to think of every possible angle before I change anything so it doesn't conflict with something else. (what can I say, machinest for over 20 years) I've been trying to get this info for a month now from manufactures & locals & it starts to get a little frustrating. Thanks for all the help. :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Took me a min. Some how a bunch of rocks and cactus skeletons appeared in the tool box on the back of my truck (where my spares were). Take the wife to the desert and leave her unsupervised for just a min.:shaking::laughing:
Anyway...these are T/G's. Hope this helps.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
first measurement is overall length
next is center hole of top tre to back trunion pin
last is distance between 2 tres

marlin billet arms

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first pic is from an old skool All Pro welded arm. From the back of the arm to the center of the draglink hole is right at 9 3/8", and the tie rod hole is about 2" back from that. This is an arm for Heims, not TRE's.

The second picture is my installed Marlin 25mm pin arms, and those arms are 1/2" shorter, and the spacing between the holes is less as well. Enough so that my heims were hitting each other, so I had to make a spacer for the drag link.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see more than one brand or style so that I can compare & have more options. This helps alot. Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New style all-pros
Thanks for the dimensions. Now I can mock it up & check for clearence. By the way, I wouldn't live anywhere else but Texas but my wife & I both agree that our favorite vacation hands down was a week snowmobiling in West Yellowstone back in Jan. '07.(16 below & still had a blast) Incredible state. Everyone should see it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
first measurement is overall length
next is center hole of top tre to back trunion pin
last is distance between 2 tres

marlin billet arms
Man you guys have really pulled through. Thanks for all the help. I found a set of MC arms online for cheap but still wasn't sure if they would work till you guys helped out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just bought a truck, prior owner said to be trailgear highsteer. measures 5 1/4" from center of trunion pin to center of tierod end. it's 7 1/4" from trunion pin to drag link tie rod end. the tie rod measures 3 1/4" above the spring pad on the axle housing, to the bottom of the tie rod. hopefully that all makes sense.
It all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks for the dimensions. Now I can mock it up & check for clearence. By the way, I wouldn't live anywhere else but Texas but my wife & I both agree that our favorite vacation hands down was a week snowmobiling in West Yellowstone back in Jan. '07.(16 below & still had a blast) Incredible state. Everyone should see it.
Thanks for the comps. Just as long as they don't want to stay and start changing the way things are. Seems like a lot of big city folk get tired of the big city, move here and then want to impose their big city ways.:shaking: I'm not necessarily talking about Texas, you guys are alright.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts