Pirate 4x4 banner

521 - 530 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
Here's a video of many of the trails and hills we did last weekend. I think our group was having too much fun wheeling to take video of the climbs so I'm not sure if any videos of my Jeep will ever turn up.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
I cleaned the mud off my Jeep and surveyed the damage:

I can only figure a small rock found it's way on top of the johnny joint and got smashed into the bracket:

The heat treated 4340 steering is still straight as day 1:

The diff skids saw some action:

Just a little rock rash on the beadlocks:

I somehow got rash on the top side of the rear flare.

Something found the corner:

I had been thinking about color matching all of the armor to red and doing touch ups every now and again but I'm starting to think I might be better off leaving it raw aluminum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever look at the Magnum Power superchargers? They seem to have a well thought out kit.

I am going to be starting a build in the next year or so and have been thinking about doing the "poor man's" stroker with that supercharger.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
Did you ever look at the Magnum Power superchargers? They seem to have a well thought out kit.

I am going to be starting a build in the next year or so and have been thinking about doing the "poor man's" stroker with that supercharger.

I did. I agree that they're a well thought out kit. The only problem I can see with them is that they won't package with highline fenders and coilover hoops like I have. Also, if you have an issue, like I did, are they able to help diagnose the issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did. I agree that they're a well thought out kit. The only problem I can see with them is that they won't package with highline fenders and coilover hoops like I have. Also, if you have an issue, like I did, are they able to help diagnose the issue?
I have read that their customer service is great, and easy to work with.

I also read that they use new built superchargers while boosted tech and sprintex use "repurposed" and not even remanufactured superchargers. So your issue probably wouldn't have happened.

Good to note on fitting them with highlines and shock hoops. I haven't got that far in my planning process, I will definitely have to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
I have read that their customer service is great, and easy to work with.

I also read that they use new built superchargers while boosted tech and sprintex use "repurposed" and not even remanufactured superchargers. So your issue probably wouldn't have happened.

Good to note on fitting them with highlines and shock hoops. I haven't got that far in my planning process, I will definitely have to keep that in mind.

I'm pretty sure they make each kit to order so if you have specific requirements to fit it under the hood you could always ask if they'd make you a custom kit to fit differently.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
The new driver side half door sometimes wouldn't open with the exterior door latch unless I'd push the door in while opening. I took a look inside and adjusted the linkage so it opens perfectly every time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
I've been meaning to get armor on the doors for a while now. During my first trip out back in May I tapped the driver's side door in against a friend's bumper going past him on a trail he was stuck on -- he was okay with it but I wasn't quite ready for that kind of damage. The next trip out, just by luck, I narrowly missed the door again with a rock that jutted out on a hill climb.

I thought I was taking the easy route by buying Genright's half door armor. And you all know by now how excited I get with kits. Of course the kit had to disappoint me because it seems that they laid out the bolts using CAD instead of using an actual door except at the front where they had some fear of putting a nutsert into the "hat" so I had to place those myself.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #529
I had sneaked a little peak at this last month, but I finally finished the front fender area armor panels.

Template:

I originally was going to tie into the windshield frame brackets but these are at a different angle so rather than risk a sloppy fit I shortened the panel:

I sealed off the radio antenna hole with 3M protective film:

I popped the Jeep logo a couple of times to allow the panel to sit flush with the body. When installing it's easier to start with the bottom nuterts, bolt on the panel, and then work on the top nutserts.

I made sure each nutsert was located precisely to fit into cavities on the body. If needed another could be added just below the seam on the tub (above the lower hinge).

For countersinking all of these bolts I have found that a piloted through-hole countersink gives the nicest finish on aluminum and it doesn't require a drill press to get good results. McMaster-Carr

This panel does firm up the front fenders and grill and prevents them from flopping around so much. I'd say the front clip now moves around about as much as with stock fenders. Some movement is needed up front so the body doesn't distort or crack when the Jeep flexes so hopefully I don't end up with unwanted side effects.

The result is true wheel to wheel armor so I can slide the Jeep along a rock down the entire length.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
I'm cleaning my workshop and working on Mrs Toximus's Jeep while waiting for everything to come in for the engine swap.

I got my other set of doors up off the floor:

521 - 530 of 530 Posts