Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
To get the transmission crossmember to line up perfectly with the tabs off the frame I drilled them in place to 3/8":

Preview of the flat belly! :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
I think I found the perfect belt length of 86.6". Continental 4060686. Application is an early 1990s Volvo 850.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Loving the progress! I cant wait to see it come together and some actions shots! Your build has me no longer wanting to build up the 4L and going with a v8...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Notching the 3/8" 6061 belly skid around the transmission pan:

Scribing for cutting off the sides:

I wanted a little more wiggle room around the transmission:

Countersunk 1/2" flat head bolts for the skid. And the plasma cutter made quick work of cutting the extra on the sides off followed up with a flap disc.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I'll be putting a stiffener along the rear of the belly skid and the transmission crossmember acts as the stiffener in the front. I was going to use a 1/4" thick aluminum angle right along the back but with the driveshaft and exhaust I think I'd have to cut the profile too low to provide enough support. I'm waiting once my exhaust is in, but I'll likely use 1-1/4" DOM and make little feet to bolt down to the skid.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Mocking up the 5/16" 7075-T6 engine skid. I went with 7075 here because it's a little stronger than 6061 and my hope is that it might prevent more oil pan damage.

Leaving a gap so the skid can move up when hit:

Cutting a spacer out of 5/8" aluminum:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Trying out a different transmission line. I think this might be the best so far (cheapest too). GM #92236244.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
So that I could cycle the front to test clearance to the new skid fully I decided to bolt the driveshaft in.

Just getting the Atlas shifters in enough to shift out of neutral so I can torque the output flange using the transmission as a brake. I also replaced both axle yokes to the 1350 yokes while I was at it.

Tom Woods sold me the flange and seal which they sourced from Advance Adapters.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
I mocked up the steering to see what needs to happen. I'll wait to finish up once the engine is out again.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
To fit the AC in I had to move the battery far outboard. The positive terminal now nearly touches the fender so I ordered a reverse terminal battery.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts