Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get a higher stall torque converter for my 90 runner?
what's the stock stall, and is it worth trying to get one?

Stupid ass 3.0!!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
it is probably worth swapping in a 5 speed standard trans, from what I have heard the autos will stall out on angles and inclines

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn it man don't tell me that. I love my auto.

I haven't had any problems with it yet. Just annoyed that it has no power!

·
Registered
295 Posts
you just need to overfill the trans with fluid to get rid of the stalling problem. what gears are you running in the diffs?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running 5.29's
but like i said its not really ever stalled on an incline. I just wish i could get the power in the higher rpm range. Not that the 3.0 has any!

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I have never heard of a higher stall converter for the toy trans--maybe talk to a trans shop and see if somebody can do you up a custom one...

·
Registered
373 Posts
gear slug makes a doubler for the auto trans another t-case would raise your rpm's

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
gear slug makes a doubler for the auto trans another t-case would raise your rpm's
But that does not help your stall speed at all---and when you throw gear reduction into it--your going to find you can drive thru your brakes alot easier--granted I believe with the stall speed of the toy trans its not that big of an issue but still....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ordered the inchworm adapter for my dual cases.

but crash is right i did some more research and no one makes one and a custom job would be about 400 bucks(not worth it).

Ill just have to deal with the weak ass 3.0 until i get a wild hair to throw in the 3.4 i just found for a grand (only 42k baby:eek:)

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I just ordered the inchworm adapter for my dual cases.

but crash is right i did some more research and no one makes one and a custom job would be about 400 bucks(not worth it).

Ill just have to deal with the weak ass 3.0 until i get a wild hair to throw in the 3.4 i just found for a grand (only 42k baby:eek:)

well if it helps, I really like my 3.4L
the SC showed up today, couldn't pass up a deal:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you swapped in the 3.4? How was it?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a higher stall torque converter for my 90 runner?

Stupid ass 3.0!!!
I use Paradise trans , They are very good and Josia can get you pretty much anything you want , I went for a little lower stall on mine but with my gearing and dual cases I wanted almost a direct lockup for steep down hillen and such but anyhow if you would like thier number pm me and I will hook ya up

Scott

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
you swapped in the 3.4? How was it?
super easy!
I just handed cash to my buddy and he handed me the keys and title to his 90 runner with the 99 3.4L installed already:D

sorry I had to, I wasted last 3 years on builds I had no time to finish. but the swap looks factory and seems pretty straight forward

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol, I wish i had that kind of dough.

You don't want to borrow me that supercharger forever do ya?:D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
lol, I wish i had that kind of dough.

You don't want to borrow me that supercharger forever do ya?:D
I don't have that kinda $$ either, my buddy got all my $$
had to sell off all my projects, parts and several guns and then some:eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sounds like a plan!

And it looks like I'm havin a yard sale!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts

Stupid ass 3.0!!!
If memory serves me correct, when i was having tranny problems a few years back i did a bunch of troubleshooting. The FSM says stall speed is 2800rpm. If its out by more then 200rpm then its time for a new one...or your tach is not correct.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts