Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Guacamole 2011 myself and Camo. North of Resolutions exit. Short trail but fun. Named for the the copper deposits on one of the obstacles.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Bloody Mary was finished last year.

My old car is gone and I am in the middle of a new build so I'm not running it for some time.

Still waiting for some other brave sole to try it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Bloody Mary was finished last year.

My old car is gone and I am in the middle of a new build so I'm not running it for some time.

Still waiting for some other brave sole to try it.

That must be Shane he is the only Portal, rear steer, V8 guy left

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Update - Added info to Claw, Outer Limits, Wrecking Ball, Sledge, Aftershock, and Fissure Mtn.

·
Registered
163 Posts
this is cool.. i was asking these questions when i went out to KOH this year. its really interesting to read the stories. Thank you all for great thread.

i do have a question.

why has it been only recent that these trails have been broken? is it the use of google/satellite imagery to blame? or is it that the trail rigs got built to the point that they were finally able to be driven up with out any issues?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
this is cool.. i was asking these questions when i went out to KOH this year. its really interesting to read the stories. Thank you all for great thread.

i do have a question.

why has it been only recent that these trails have been broken? is it the use of google/satellite imagery to blame? or is it that the trail rigs got built to the point that they were finally able to be driven up with out any issues?
There are several reasons I see new trails appearing now...
1) The drivetrain in the rigs are a lot stronger, and a lot more suspension travel
2) A lot more people are going out to the Hammers. The trails get crowded, so they find something new, they pick a canyon and try to go up it.
3) 40" tires! When I started 33" tires were the norm, 35" tires were going "Big".
4) Rock racing...People used to "Rock Crawl" the trail, now if they can't make the first or second time, they try to power over the rock like a rock bouncer.
5) The Gov't taking PUBLIC LAND!

I could go on but you get the point
JB

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Another 'reason' is that some of the little canyons were 'broken' over the years and not named. It was a bunch of, "hey, lets go wheel that little canyon where Jim broke his driveshaft."

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
heres video from the day that choclate thunder was actually cut. flash was there at the bottom in the canyon. mike and john went up the right line. (the right line doesnt exist anymore the way it did that day) my wheelbase was too short to make it on the right line, so i tried the virgin left line and made it. after i got to the top they had turned around and were coming back down so i turned around and mike decided to spot me down. the whole time i was thinking that this was a bad idea but i figured he saw something i didnt see. well i was right. it was a bad idea. but now that hole i rolled in isnt that big anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3JvhhujU64

go to about 1:12 into the video. before 1:12 is a mix of some other trails. at 2:20 you can see the really cool rock that you had to climb around that is no buried.

at 1:12 the location where we are at is down in the wash before the current entrance. all those rocks that we are climbing over, especially that really cool big one that flexes out your rear something crazy, they are all now buried in sand from koh traffic and big motors.

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Going through some stuff, I came across an envelope called "Sledgehammer"
Inside were details on this new trail called Sledgehammer including two early magazine articles. The 4 Wheel Drive &Sport Utility mags are dated 1994.
I used this info originally to locate the trail back in November of '94.
21 years ago!

Scanned for your perusal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Very cool! :smokin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thanks JR, that's GREAT info.

I'll have to update some dates on the first page now.

The article mentions a trail by the name "Awesome Falls". I have never heard of this one. Do you, or anyone else, know about this trail?

Doug

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Thanks JR, that's GREAT info.

I'll have to update some dates on the first page now.

The article mentions a trail by the name "Awesome Falls". I have never heard of this one. Do you, or anyone else, know about this trail?

Doug
Awesome falls is a waterfall down the wash from aftershock and was originally the start of aftershock.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Anyone know who broke Highway 18? Sometime a while ago a couple of cars look like they made it through.

Over Thanksgiving we ran the bottom of it and bailed out due to a break in our group. Big obstacles in there and was a blast for as far as we got. We walked up to what we think was 80% of it and it looks like a great long day. Looks like it connects with Fissure. :smokin:

61 - 80 of 90 Posts