Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
III
28,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know that I've ever asked this kind of question cause if I like the look of something I just buy it and if I decide I don't care for it I sell it. But I am curious on the thoughts here. I already own a Glock 17 and having three full size 9mm's is no real problem, but I am in grad school and should at least TRY to limit my purchases until I've paid it all off.

Which one would you keep and why?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I love my vp40. Never played with an s&w. I'd imagine the 9 is as nice as the 40. I did look at s&w when I was buying, I went h&k.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
I have been shopping for a suppressor host .45 and really wanted to like the M&P but after handling and shooting them they feel even cheaper and less durable than my Glock and definitely less sturdy and refined than a FN or HK.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't know that I've ever asked this kind of question cause if I like the look of something I just buy it and if I decide I don't care for it I sell it. But I am curious on the thoughts here. I already own a Glock 17 and having three full size 9mm's is no real problem, but I am in grad school and should at least TRY to limit my purchases until I've paid it all off.

Which one would you keep and why?
I thought you were an advid Glock guy, what's making you want to look elsewhere? Personally, outside of Glock the only pistol I'm interested in is the new CZ P10 that is coming out.

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
I have never been a fan of the ergonomics of the HK, mostly when it comes to the mag release.

Other than that nothing bad to say about them.

I have a MP 40 pro and love it.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
If you can rent the guns at a range and find what works for you, that's what I suggest.

Otherwise I say neither of those, get an MP5.

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
I bought a Canik TP9v2 for a little over $300 on an impulse, and it's a surprisingly good shooter. The decocker on the top of the slide is a little weird, but it's not something I use on a regular basis anyway. It's not a P226 but it's pretty damn close to a G17 in accuracy and function.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,027 Posts
If I was going to use it just to go out and practice shooting I'd go with the H&K. If I was considering USPSA AT ALL I'd go with the M&P. The magazines for an H&K are about $50 vs $40 for the M&P. The magazine release is probably the number 1 complaint people have about all H&Ks so unless you practice with it a lot you won't like it for USPSA. If both fit my hand comfortably I'd try and find a place to shoot each and see how I liked each. I owned an M&P 40 and really really liked it. I trade it for a Sig I wanted more.

If I owned both I'd take both out shooting with 500 rounds and shoot 50 rounds through each at a time and figure out which one I like more. Double taps, fast reloads, sights, accuracy, safety and recoil feel would be what I'd make my decision on.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I love the mag release on the h&k. I rented one before I purchased mine and it was weirdly instinctive to hit with my thumb. For me it's more comfortable than a regular button like say a p320... can't go wrong with being able to change either side of the grip and or the back strap. Now I want to buy another

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I own both and would choose the vp9. Mags are expensive but not 50 as mentioned. 35 max.

The vp9 is all around a better made pistol. More accurate, better feeling, better shooting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am a Glock owner. I bought a VP9 when they first came out.
Ergo's are great. First trigger pull is great compared with a Glock. Glock reset is far superior.

I own Glock's because they are simple. The VP9 is anything but simple. It broke the morning of the first class. No one in the class was familiar with them so, used the Glock tue rest of the day. Sent it back to HK. They were good about repairing it and returning it. I just couldn't trust it again so, i sold it.

I would suggest researching the HK board. I was not the only one with problems.

I would also suggest removing the slide and inspecting the firearm. There is a LOT going on that is different than a Glock or 1911.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tombestone tactical has vp9 mags for $35.40/ea if you end up keeping it.

Sold my m&p after buying a vp9. Haven't had any issues with it, did smooth out the trigger/glove trough though. Haven't found the perfect holster for it yet so still ccw the g19 or g43 99% of the time.

·
III
28,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I first fondled one two years ago when they were released at SHOT and loved them. Then again at SHOT this year as HK was pimping them hard. I really like how it feels in my hand. I don't like manual safeties or DA/SA triggers so have never had an interest in their guns. The HK showed up tonight. Love the feel of it. SW is coming tomorrow. Shoot them both Saturday. Ran over a large piece of wood today so one of them is going to become the deductible to fix the front end of my car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,027 Posts
I own both and would choose the vp9. Mags are expensive but not 50 as mentioned. 35 max.

The vp9 is all around a better made pistol. More accurate, better feeling, better shooting.
H&K 9mm P30/VP9 15-Round Magazine | Sportsman's Warehouse

EDIT: Cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/product/H-K-...ryId=734095080&CQ_search=vp9+magazine&CQ_st=b

CDNN
http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=vp...lang=en-US&w=LZkXShGTjHE5pgb0dOnGNpkbR8xJkKzh Plus shipping

eGay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=vp9+magazine

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=vp...lang=en-US&w=SM-bfXYZJPkAoBtYPJXWNcRGjq5uiA7p Only place I could find them for less and they're out of stock.

Tombstone tactical is $10 shipping so I hope you all of them. 4 mags shipped would be worth it.

·
III
28,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I don't care for the MP. It's not bad per se. I just prefer the Glock 17 by far. The HK is not bad. The trigger is better than both of the others, and the ergos are great. Strangely, the HK slide feels heavier than the Glock and it is, by 1.5 ounces, but it feels more top heavy. I like everything about it though. Listed the MP and will enjoy the HK for a while. I have a hard time keeping guns that are so functionally the same. The HK has no advantage over a 17

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
I was shooting a Glock 19, m&p 9mm, XD, and the new 5" m&p 2.0 Sunday.

I still can't shoot a Glock, the regular m&p was less comfortable and accurate than my XD (in my hands, YMMV) and I'll be buying a 5" m&p 2. Damn thing was a tack driver, better trigger than everything but maybe the SIG 320, and I was shooting it better after a few mags than my XD I've had for 8 years and have been shooting 1k+ rds per year.

My dad was a little pissy he spent $200 on his regular m&p trigger and the 2.0 feels better out of the box.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts