Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some research on the venerable M1A. Anybody have any experience with these? Likes, dislikes. I'm kinda sad I looked this over when I was buying my AR. From what I read on this board and a few others they are quite accurate, have the 7.62 NATO round, I can hunt with it with my grandfather, its semi-auto, and is "less" evil looking and should work well in any SHTF scenario. Plus at 6'3" the AR (carbine)feels a little small for me and this is only 2" or so longer then an AR rifle? Anybody have any good links to forums or websites that I can look at more? Also how do you guys feel about the shorter SOCOM vs. the full size barrel versions. I'm not sure if I will ever go this route but Troy Industries makes some pretty wild kits for M14 style rifles. Heres a link about what I'm talking about. http://www.troyind.com/productsM14.html

Pete I noticed you sell the exact model I'm looking for on your website (Springfield Armory M1A Loaded) any idea what the wait times are like on these? Are they as bad or worse then anything EBR related?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Yeah I read that. I'm looking for a dedicated forum where I can really pour through some information.
m14forum.com or some such name. Don't have the book mark here at work

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
90 Posts
M1a's are great. They get alittle pricey to shoot these days. They are reliable as hell, accuracy can very and they will never shoot as well as a bolt, but with a good stock they should be very acceptable. I have a standard length, bush, and the Socom, of them all I like the Socom the best. Its a loud SOB, but pretty damn handy with an Aimpoint attached. For a scoped one, the standard is pretty good. Don't buy cheap mags, stick with USGI and you will not be disapointed.

Edit: The Troy stocks are NICE, but expensive and heavy as hell.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
They are reliable as hell, accuracy can very and they will never shoot as well as a bolt, but with a good stock they should be very acceptable.
I guess it all depends on your use and what you define as acceptable.
It wasn't designed with bench rest in mind, but there are plenty of guys that are passing up the M24 for an M21 if they can find one.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That SOCOM II is sweet. I'm debating if I should go with the shorter 16-18" versions or just stick with the full size 22". If the FPS between the barrels is only sub 100 FPS then it may be smarter to go with the shorter version. It seems the military still uses the 22" version for whatever their reason may be.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i think it all depends on your shooting style....if your going for distance 500-1000 yards then i would go with the 22" barrel, if your shooting 25-400 yards then the 16" is what you want and the scout 18" is the happy medium...also where you shoot, i hunt in thick brush so the socom was perfect for me....

·
Abby...someone
4,415 Posts
so if i can get a socom 16 for $1493, i should probably get it huh?
Hell yeah - that's about what my Scout cost a year ago.

Even if you didn't want it for yourself, you could probably profit on a resale.

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
yeah, and its a brand new one. just dont know when it will come in. i thought it was a good price also...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts