Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently invited to go hog hunting this spring. The only rifle I currently have is an SKS. After some quick reading it looks like the 7.62 is on the lower end of acceptable rounds for hunting hogs. Is there anybody here with hog experience? What is the largest hog I can reasonably expect to take with my SKS?

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
I shoot hogs with my M38 (7.62x54r). It's quite adequate. Your SKS is 7.62x39 (same caliber, lighter bullit, shorter case); this means you might have to shoot it more than once. Take your SKS and have a blast! (pun intended)

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
We shoot them with everything from a .223 up to your standard deer calibers.
Fifty yards with a good 45/70 is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
7.62x39(AK/SKS) will do fine for killing hogs. If you want a dead hog, aim right behind the ear. If you wish to pump lead into hog and let him run, aim for the belly.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
SKS is fine for hogs. Take it and have fun.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Yup, SKS is my go-to hog gun in the brush. I wouldn't shoot much past 100 with it, but it kills them dead.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I'll throw some pix up (in march).

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
How do those run without a can on it? Ive been looking into possibly doing a barrel swap on my AR but I havent had enough time to research it. Are there reloading dies and stuff available for it yet?
Well, I'm building one. And yes, I've seen at least one guy on here with a set of dies, although ammo is relatively cheap commercially.

I have no plans to suppress mine, simply want a .30 AR.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I was recently invited to go hog hunting this spring. The only rifle I currently have is an SKS. After some quick reading it looks like the 7.62 is on the lower end of acceptable rounds for hunting hogs. Is there anybody here with hog experience? What is the largest hog I can reasonably expect to take with my SKS?
What kind of super hog are you hunting?
22 mag will do the trick if they are bayed.
Any deer rifle will work for normal hunting.
7.62x39 is probably a good cartridge with a good hunting bullet.
I've shot deer with them using a Remington Core-lock bullet, and Winchester pointed soft point.
I would compare the effectiveness to any other 30 cal round shooting a similar bullet at similar velocities.

If a 7.62x39 isn't adequate for hogs, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on this. I plan on going next month and have pondered .308 or 7.62x39.

The AK would be much more manageable in the woods with an underfold stock and iron sights, but the FAL would kick ass at range being scoped. I'm not sure how it'll be as far as brush hunting the pigs or picking them off as we spot them out. It'll be in SC. All new to me.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
How do those run without a can on it? Ive been looking into possibly doing a barrel swap on my AR but I havent had enough time to research it. Are there reloading dies and stuff available for it yet?
Mine runs supers like a champ. Killed a doe with it over Thanksgiving. I am in Fort Worth, pm me when your in town and you can swing over and take a look/shoot it.

As for dies, yes, they are out, so is local ammo. I reload all my stuff.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
You can ask Spooky,(i was using his suppressor) it was amazing. Cycled like a champ. Go over to 300blktalk.com check the vendors out, they are running some killer deals on barrels.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on this. I plan on going next month and have pondered .308 or 7.62x39.

The AK would be much more manageable in the woods with an underfold stock and iron sights, but the FAL would kick ass at range being scoped. I'm not sure how it'll be as far as brush hunting the pigs or picking them off as we spot them out. It'll be in SC. All new to me.
Just like hunting deer. Keep your scope on low power and dial it up only if you see one at longer range!

It sucks seeing a scopeful of hair!

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Just like hunting deer. Keep your scope on low power and dial it up only if you see one at longer range!

It sucks seeing a scopeful of hair!
Good point. I've just heard tale of crawling through brush after them and didn't know what would be best to lug around and beat on. I figure if it comes to that it would be strictly handgun, but if I'm going to clammer like an idiot I'd rather not risk knocking my scope around. FAL has Warne QD rings, but still....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts