Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can buy them for like $100 on e-bay (+ S/H) But I am basicly cheap.. I just ran across a site where a guy made one with black iron pipe and a boat winch.. I love the boat winch idea (mounted to the garage wall, a couple pullies... simple, strong, and self locking.. But, I would like to build a better attachment for the top itself.. I would like to use some square tubing with an eyebolt in the center to attach the hook from the boat winch to (this way I can just unhook the bracket, clip the hook from the winch to an eyebolt in the celing and tighten the cable up when not in use) But I am curious if anyone has some good ideas for the straps to hook to the roof? I thought about making a flat "H" shaped bar, putting 4 bumpstops (like suspension ones) one each "leg" and having this sit right on the roof. Then run a ratchet strap around the front half from side to side and then maybe one strap straight off the back, slip it in the rear window opening with the glass up and hook it to the strap in the front?? I was just wondering if anyone else had better strap designs / ideas.. I really want simple, small and cheap..

I am not planing on keeping it in the garage, I am going to make a square frame / dolly to set it on and roll it into the yard..

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I could agree with ya.. But it gets freaking cold up here and I pretty much run it only in the winter, the rest of the time it is a bikini.. This is my DD, I wheel my Toyota... So, Ahhh :flipoff: Why waste $500-$700 for a fawkin soft top on a $1000 Jeep??

·
Registered
224 Posts
I too am looking at making my own. i have allready mounted the parts for the winch and pullys just need to make the bar. Just have not found a good way to hook the rear of the top , need to leave the back glass down if at all possible when i'm lifting it.

·
11,310 Posts
Check Harbor Freight. They had one for $30 bucks,a nd you could add the garage hoist (electric for another $50). I tried two hoists from catalogs before and tehy both sucked, always off balance. Making your own is teh best bet.

Gui

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I think I have $5 in mine I welded up a T with some tube,three pieces of chain,hooks from scrap j channel, and a little hoop welded to the T so the top would hang level. I use a chain hoist from a tree limb in the front yard to lift mine off. I take the hoist out of the tree and leave the top in the front yard.:D :D :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts