Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how you guys are making holes in sheet metal for dimple dies that do not have the punch built in? Currently, I am using Morse bi-metal hole saws with chunk of 1x4 with varying sized holes pre-drilled that I clamp to my sheet metal to act as a guide to prevent the hole saw from walking. I have dimple dies in 1/4" increments from 1/2" to 2 1/2". In my electrician days, we used Greenlee knockout hole punches, but those are conduit sized. I have struck out on finding knockout punches in actual standard sizes. A CNC plasma table is not an option for me at this point anyways. Anyone have a quicker/cleaner/easier way of making holes? Thanks!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use step-drills as much as possible, makes perfect round holes.

For the larger ones I use hole saws with centre drill in my drill press, works really good.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
1,885 Posts
Just curious how you guys are making holes in sheet metal for dimple dies that do not have the punch built in? Currently, I am using Morse bi-metal hole saws with chunk of 1x4 with varying sized holes pre-drilled that I clamp to my sheet metal to act as a guide to prevent the hole saw from walking. I have dimple dies in 1/4" increments from 1/2" to 2 1/2". In my electrician days, we used Greenlee knockout hole punches, but those are conduit sized. I have struck out on finding knockout punches in actual standard sizes. A CNC plasma table is not an option for me at this point anyways. Anyone have a quicker/cleaner/easier way of making holes? Thanks!!
Get dimple dies in conduit sizes. Duh!:homer:

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Yup... get the knockout sized dimple dies for the HF hydraulic knockout punch. Then you can use the hydraulic cylinder for the knockout as well as the dimple dies. And upgrade the hand pump to an air over hydro pump as well to really make it easy!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I picked up a couple of Blair Rotobroach sets from Amazon after reading about them on here somewhere. I will never use a holesaw on sheetmetal again. Hell even thicker steel they cut like butter. Well worth the money and they weren’t stupid expensive.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Like it was mentioned, swag makes knock outs in you sizes.

Im sure he doesn't want to spend another $500 on new dimple dies just to use standard knock outs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses guys. I was not aware SWAG released a set of standard knockout punches yet in tube size! I check their site often, but missed this. Has anyone used their knockout punches yet? If so, how are they holding up? They seem fair priced. I will likely go this route. Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts