Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 350CFM 2bbl via the Downey conversion kit. I can’t keep it from dieing/stalling while I brake hard. It stumbles lean, the harder I brake the longer the stumble, if I brake real hard it dies. The float is adjusted correctly and everything else seems fine. I have it idling at 800RPM @ 14:1 AFR (LM1). I can’t really dial it in until I fix this problem. The bowl faces forward so I’m thinking that the jets are going dry as the fuel sloshes forward while I brake hard. I believe the fix for this is a jet extension kit with correct float for the extensions (Holley kit). It just seems very odd that this is such a persistent problem. Its not like I’m locking up the brakes, I am braking hard but.... Its bad enough that I’m not driving it on the street until its fixed.

Can you think of anything else that could be causing this problem or should the jet extensions fix it? Have you ever seen this problem before?

-87 Toyota pickup
-22R (2.4L 4cyl) with RV cam and header.
-NO vacuum leaks
-Off road (spring loaded needle and seat) needle and seat installed.
-OEM return style fuel pump with 4.5 steady PSI

·
Registered
614 Posts
You already figured out what it is, the fuel sloshing away from the jets. I had a Holley 4412 (500cfm) on my 22R and it would do that until I bought everything from Downey. After I used everything from them, jetted about 5 sizes lower, and a carb spacer from Air Raid, the truck ran pretty damn good. It would only stall when it was way way over on the left side or going straight down. Going straight down could be solved by pumping the gas. All other angles were really never a problem.

Run the float low. That seemed to help a lot. There is more than enough fuel for a four cylinder in those bowls. You could run it even lower if you got the bowl spacer from Summit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts