Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
CruisD64 said:
Whats the best price for a Holley ProJection setup? I'm rebuilding my 350 and want to run projection.
Check out www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html and look for the mailing list (Yahoo). All of the people there who have ran Projection hated it.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I have been running mine for alittle over 3 yrs. It works good. It would work excellent if I spent some time on it. Its not just a bolt on and drive deal. You need to spend sometime to figure it out and understand it.

Overall I really like it and it is tons better then a carb. Mine just runs a bit rich and I think it will be an easy fix. The only reason I havent fixed it yet is because its not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I agree 100% Erik - I have a 2F with 300cfm 1barrel setup. Runs a tad rich, but it always starts, and never dies on an angle. Well worth the $725 i paid from JEGS...

·
Discount!
4,538 Posts
All of the people there who have ran Projection hated it.
That's because all of those people are stupid! When I was getting ready to purchase the pro-jection kit I heard alot of crap about it as well, but everyone who talked shit about it or claimed to have issues with the system all seemed to have one thing in common......lack of brains.

I've been running my 2DI system for 3 years now with zero problems to date. I know several others who have had it longer and are just as happy. It's a very good complete system thats well worth the dollars. However, if you lack basic automotive and electronic knowledge, then perhaps you should stay away from it.

Eric, whats your fuel pressure set at, and what engine do you have?

I use 13 psi on a Ford 302, if I remember correctly, the Holley system comes set at like 20 psi. (the 2DI is configured around a 350ci engine)

·
Registered
323 Posts
dog walker said:
That's because all of those people are stupid! When I was getting ready to purchase the pro-jection kit I heard alot of crap about it as well, but everyone who talked shit about it or claimed to have issues with the system all seemed to have one thing in common......lack of brains.
He he, you are refering to people who a lot of them are EE's, they hand assemble thier own EFI computer that is laptop programmable.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
dog walker said:

Eric, whats your fuel pressure set at, and what engine do you have?

I use 13 psi on a Ford 302, if I remember correctly, the Holley system comes set at like 20 psi. (the 2DI is configured around a 350ci engine)
Thats my problem. I dont have the nessacary tools to check. I made a cheep pressure gague and it didnt work so well. I just tryed to F around with the pressure setting on the body itself and I dont think I could get it exact enough. Imagine that :rolleyes:

I need to get an inline gague, and if that dosent work I was going to lower the voltage a bit.

Does anybody know where I could buy a "low cost" inline pressure gague?:flipoff2:

I am running a 350

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Sidewalk said:
He he, you are refering to people who a lot of them are EE's, they hand assemble thier own EFI computer that is laptop programmable.
Theres the problem right there:flipoff2: ask me how I know

Just because they are EE's dosent mean they know motors or vehicles. They know electronics. Personally I think there is a big differnce.

I think the whole problem with pro jection is ignorance.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Sidewalk said:
Then why are there only 40 folks running the Megasquirt, yet they have sold 1000 of those kits? (Not sure on exact numbers, but my guess was less than 5%... seems to be on target. If you remember the original 68332 project... less than 1% were running vehicles!)

My hat is off to Bruce & Al for getting the kits together, and getting folks to build them. Lots of effort, but basically boils down to those two doing a ton of work.

On helping out folks with EFI who "just hate it, doesn't work, piece of crap, etc" it is funny the number of times I find RUSTY FUEL tanks and clogged filters!

Usually I steer folks towards using a TBI install. Standard GM parts (747 ECU). Main reason as you can find the parts every where, and lots of folks can help out getting those systems up and running.

Personally I like Port Injection, especially for calibration as you don't have to deal with manifold wetting, etc. Just fabricating a manifold is above most folks, so the TBI is an easier install.

Erik -- all you need is "T" fitting, length of 1/4" hose, and pressure gauge that can read up to 25 psi (0-100 is fine, but hard to read). DUCT TAPE the pressure gauge outside of the windshield and have BUDDY watch it when you are heading down the road. Keep if there for a couple of tanks of gas to get an idea if everything is fine when you get below 1/4 tank and on hills.

Don't try to "lower the voltage" to reduce pump pressure. To get a pump running takes a higher voltage then to keep it running. I've seen some really crazy sceme's... which worked, but left someone stranded on a cold morning start. :D

Funny on most EE's don't get it... interviewed with GM in Luxemberg to work on motors and EFI calibration. Very cool job, with some really nice work to be done (i.e. you have to know the electronics and camshaft interactions). Those folks got it! Long story, but didn't take the job there... stayed at Bosch in Germany.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
the guys i heard using it said you got to get the computer control box so you can "dial" it in and it works great that way both of them run up side down ... no really i saw it wow there wuz alot o smoke :D

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
I agree 100% Erik - I have a 2F with 300cfm 1barrel setup. Runs a tad rich, but it always starts, and never dies on an angle. Well worth the $725 i paid from JEGS...

What combination of adapters did you use to mount the unit to the stock 2F manifold.

TIA, Dan

·
Registered
534 Posts
Projection works awesome for a bolt on FI if installed properly.

You need to work out the details:

1. CFM balanced for your engine. I had to put in lesser poundage injectors.
2. Closed loop.
3. VOLTAGE.....this system is sensitive to voltage fluctuation. It needs an independent circuit.

If I had to do it again I would go Holley or GM pull off.

Kman

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I am building a Megasquirt setup and will install it on a 2f with individual port injection. I have seen the MS system work on a 84 BMW and I was impressed.

To those that don't want to DIY then I would step up one more notch to the Holley Commander for 2BBL.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=109771&prmenbr=361

Way more user freindly and Holley says they have tons of fuel maps ready for it.

worth looking at... I sure see allot of 2D and 4D systems get passed around and sold on e-bay.

MHO

bennett

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
roundrocktom said:

Don't try to "lower the voltage" to reduce pump pressure. To get a pump running takes a higher voltage then to keep it running. I've seen some really crazy sceme's... which worked, but left someone stranded on a cold morning start. :D
As far as I understand there is a little allen bolt in the throttle body itself. This is how you adjust the pump pressure.

I was referring to changing the voltage on the TPS. I think you can lean it out this way.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty set on running it. I will do the installation myself and I feel I have the necessary skill required to do it right. Plus, if I can't figure it out, i got buddies who know what to do. What am I looking at pricewise? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Bought my 2DI with the 2 gas tank control valve and 2nd pump used from the classifieds here for $400. They pop up periodically. Also seen them on ebay for a little bit more than that and sometimes still new in the box.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The Commander 950 system seems to go for around 700 on ebay, and that's the laptop-adjustable system...that's what I'm looking for, it seems to be the most adjustable and complete commercial system available...and the controller can control both TBI and MPI setups. They have several kits that are bolt-on MPI now. using included intake manifolds, but those systems are really expensive, and you hardly ever see them used.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well, I can't say too much since I haven't installed mine yet. Mine is going on my wife's BII first.

I am the common idiot though:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.