Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my fourth set of springs we have had made, small adjustments each time and they just keep getting better.

All the steel is ISO approved.

We added a 1 inch in length and put the reliefs in the spring perch area on either side like the OME. We actually stole a lot of thier design.

Ride out of the box is smoother with the added inch and slider pads between each spring. The settle about a half a inch and we build them around 3 inchs and they settle to two inchs.

What ya think?

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to mention that we cured the cruiser lean after the first pair we built, must be a couple pounds extra on the drivers side?

So kinda like the Emus we marked drivers side and passenger side springs for install.
Rob

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
so are you actually making these springs or are you just getting a bunch of differnt doner springs and making them?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats all new steel, no donors.

I added leafs and to old packs watch them sag out after a couple months, not worth my time to do that half ass shiat anymore.

So for under a 1000 Canadian I can have these made up overnight and pick them up the next day. No duties shipping and hassles, plus I don`t have to carry inventory.

The other nice thing is we can custom build them to my customers preference.

Rob

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
What's the rocket science involved in putting spring clips onto a set of springs?

I've got a set of Chev van packs cut up/modified for 1/4 elliptical, and want to put 2 bolted clips on...the clip is easy, the bolt is easy, drilling the hole is easy...what to do for a rivit tho?

Or is my best bet to just hit the local spring shop and have them do it?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
woody said:
What's the rocket science involved in putting spring clips onto a set of springs?

I've got a set of Chev van packs cut up/modified for 1/4 elliptical, and want to put 2 bolted clips on...the clip is easy, the bolt is easy, drilling the hole is easy...what to do for a rivit tho?

Not sure if I understand the clip question, are you talking about the hole and the mushroom button the put in the spring to hold the clip?

You culd probably drill it and hammer one in, I think the spring guys use a hydrolic press.

Rob

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Erik D_lux said:
Thats really sweet.

Thats like $700 U.S. right? Thats a lot of money for a set of springs.
Thats including U bolts and bushings, the U bolts are bumped up to 9/16s for added strength.

After shipping and duties I would have paid much more than that to have a set springs brought in, IMO after installing several different brands I am more than happy with my local shops quality.

Rob

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
woody said:

That's the eternal question... PLEASE let us (especially me!) know if you find a way.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Riveting springs...

When I re-did my rear springs, one of the rivets and spring clamp was missing. Solution: Drill the center out of another rivet on a another spring (not too much though, otherwise you'll lose too much material, heat it up with a torch, and punch it out. Hammer it round, check to see if it will fit in the spring, then get it red hot, and pound it back into the spring you want to use.

You could also use a bolt if need be.

Edit: Rob those are some NICE! looking springs! :eek: :beer:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Riveting springs...

Edit: Rob those are some NICE! looking springs! :eek: :beer: [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, we put some serious though and testing into them and they work great.

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

1 - 14 of 14 Posts