Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: post 85
Plans pretty much done. Gave the drafter the go ahead to finish them out. Just going to fix the vaulting in the nook. Add a pot filler. But all in all done. Had some really tough choices to make but hope it pans out well. Not much going back after he finalizes them.

Edit: update with questions post #72

We're pretty close to getting our plans finalized but now coming down to more details. As of now looking for input on:

Ceiling heights--leaning to 9' in kids, 10' in master, 11' in living room
Doorway heights--budget wise 6'8"...would like 8'...if anything 6'8" throughout but have main entrance 8'x36"
AC handler attic versus utility closet(current plan has them in closets)
Location of tankless water heater--in garage, outside by breezeway or in laundry room
Master shower head: on a wall or overhead (leaning to overhead)
Thinking of adding an attic to the garage and throwing the misc crap in there

Looked at this thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/2381761-house-design-must-have-features.html
Ideas picked up--220 in garage and 48" range

And another really good long thread but can't find it now...found most of these to be consistent:
In floor power for sofa
Floor drains in garage and mud room
Entertainment cabinet
Wide garage
STORAGE
Laundry by bedroom but extra insulation
Spray foam insulation
Acoustic insulation?
Separate shitter
Walk in closets
Walk in pantry
In wall stove/ microwave?
Cooktop vent
Breaker panel with extra room
Tankless water heater?
Safe room? Cast concrete
Light in attic
Outlets in cabinets and above cabinets
Metal roof with hiddened fasteners
10' deep porch. Consider 8' for front
Taller countertops, 42-44"
Deep sink
1" plumbing
Extra outlets
STORAGE
natural gas line to outside
Run wiring with walls exposed
Separate hvac and breaker panel for master. Separate water heater
Solar panels?
Plugs and lights in closet
Hidden trash can
Bathroom fan/s?
36" doors
48?
6" exterior wall studs
Separate shut off water valves parts of house
Water softener
Copper sink

Ran the stripper pole by the wife and she said something along the lines of me being ok with our daughters using it soooo that's out :laughing:

2500 sq ft home farmhouse style with steel roof is what we're shooting for. No need for heated floors. Our typical weather is 100* with lots of humidity.

Open to anything I may be missing...

Attachments

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
Oh and add a switched outlet under the eaves so you can turn on Christmas lights with a switch.

Also, I have a skylight in my garage which is nice because I don't have to turn on the lights everytime I go out there.

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
Deep utility sink in the garage so you can wash up without polluting a bathroom. And get those hospital style faucet so you can turn the water on and off with your elbows.

·
Registered
264 Posts
10' wide garage doors
Cat 5 or greater run to all rooms especially living room near the entertainment center, to where you might install security cameras and where you might setup wireless access points.
Run speaker wire if you're planning surround sound.
I like 20 amp circuits over 15 amp, not sure what the standard is for homes now
Outlets in the closet where you store rechargeable devices like spare batteries or hand held vacs.
Insulation in all interior walls really cuts down on noise.
Insulate the hell out of the laundry room for noise.
Dual ovens
No need for 6" studs if you're using spray foam, in my opinion. Wall heights might require it though.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and add a switched outlet under the eaves so you can turn on Christmas lights with a switch.

Also, I have a skylight in my garage which is nice because I don't have to turn on the lights everytime I go out there.
Ah ha! Good little details.

Deep utility sink in the garage so you can wash up without polluting a bathroom. And get those hospital style faucet so you can turn the water on and off with your elbows.
Probably add a stainless sink on the outside down the line

Door to master bedroom?
Who needs that? Yeah guy for some reason made that mistake :laughing:

10' wide garage doors
Cat 5 or greater run to all rooms especially living room near the entertainment center, to where you might install security cameras and where you might setup wireless access points.
Run speaker wire if you're planning surround sound.
I like 20 amp circuits over 15 amp, not sure what the standard is for homes now
Outlets in the closet where you store rechargeable devices like spare batteries or hand held vacs.
Insulation in all interior walls really cuts down on noise.
Insulate the hell out of the laundry room for noise.
Dual ovens
No need for 6" studs if you're using spray foam, in my opinion. Wall heights might require it though.
Think we will be using a 20'x8' garage door. Lots of good pointers.

Knew there was still room for improvement.

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Put the Ac in the attic. I have one of each and wish the one in the closet was in the attic. Its just loud enough to be noticed while watching tv.

Put both shower heads in. I have 3 in my shower, one being a hand held. I can run any 1 individually or 2 in any combination using a selector.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Put the Ac in the attic. I have one of each and wish the one in the closet was in the attic. Its just loud enough to be noticed while watching tv.

Put both shower heads in. I have 3 in my shower, one being a hand held. I can run any 1 individually or 2 in any combination using a selector.
Maintenance and repairs are my major concern from first hand and second hand experience. It seems they're a weak point in almost every home and it's not uncommon to see ceilings with water stains/ damage from a previously broken unit.

Edit: in south Texas where AC units get to work in extreme weather. Not in reference to any other areas.

On the shower heads, the debate is if we run a regular shower head then we need a wall put up. Aesthetically, I think an overhead would look nicer with glass on two sides instead of just one glass side with a regular shower head.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a list of stuff I'd want in my future house.

- Urinal somewhere
- Bidet toilet. My wife: "If you got poop on your hands, would you simply dry-wipe it off or would you want to wash it off?"
- Double shower in master :) One of the best decisions in my house :smokin: - on opposite walls so you can get both at once, controls with both temp and pressure, fixed wall and handheld wall.
- Fart fans in bathrooms
- More electrical outlets than you'd ever need, lots of 20A circuits especially in garage and areas of house where you might plug in something that needs real juice. Definitely separate circuits for your entertainment center, depending on your power needs.
- Recessed LED can-lighting in whole house. All bedrooms + separate switched outlet for a desk lamp.
- Geothermal heating and cooling system, or a mini split system instead of whole house.
- Whole house fan
- Whole house central vacuum system
- Big, deep single kitchen sink - being able to wash a 5gal bucket in the sink without getting water everywhere is pretty awesome.
- Separate kitchen trash drawer, can't stand when people put it under the sink.
- Dual ovens.
- Ceiling fans in bedrooms
- Pre-plan your media stuff and entertainment center, integrate wiring in walls with home media wall plates and what not for TV, internet, maybe sound, etc so you can have your TV on the wall with no wires. My cousin has his whole house setup with everything in one server closet for his whole house - tv receivers, DVD players, game consoles, everything for every room in the house, it's pretty cool I'd never seen that in someone's house before. His all runs off a special controller.
- Perimeter lights around whole house eaves, also switched power to box(es) set in yard and eaves - for xmas decorations, party lights, future electrical, etc.
- Attic trusses setup so you can utilize extra storage space if you ever need it. Lights in whole attic, switch at entrance. Ladder entrance.
- Metal roof -- elastomeric coating? for insulation benefit and sealing. maybe down the road. Insulated roof panels for summer heat.
- Automatic attic fan.
- Full perimeter rain gutters, with that leaf guard feature.
- Power and water on every exterior wall of house.
- One or two hot water spigots on exterior where you might need it (front and back yard?)

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Maintenance and repairs are my major concern from first hand and second hand experience. It seems they're a weak point in almost every home and it's not uncommon to see ceilings with water stains/ damage from a previously broken unit.
That was why mine was put in a closet. I would still put it in the attic if I had it to do over again.

·
Rusted.
900 Posts
Put the air handler in the attic but make sure you have a good drip pan under it.

Backup generator with auto transfer switch.

We have a whole-house electric tankless water heater. If I was going to build new I would set it up for multiple tankless water heaters located near the point of use. As in one for the kitchen, one for each bathroom, etc. Then you only have to run a cold water line throughout the house to each location, and there is no wait for hot water at any of the points that are a fair distance from the heater. Of course this is a moot point if you lay out the house to have everything close to the heater.

My BIL built a house last year and made the master shower absolutely huge with tiled walls, multiple heads, and a bench. I'd build one just like it. You honestly could have 4 people in there and still have plenty of room.

I think someone already mentioned switched outlets in the eaves for decorations.

Plenty of outdoor water faucets and electrical outlets.

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
You're missing a door to the Master Bedroom. There's no way to acess the suite from any other place in the house.

Might wanna fix that. :laughing:

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Stripper pole in the master :evil:
That was addressed. :shaking: :flipoff2:

You're missing a door to the Master Bedroom. There's no way to acess the suite from any other place in the house.

Might wanna fix that. :laughing:
That was addressed. :shaking: :flipoff2:

It's in my living room which is the only place it could go. When the gas furnace kicks on its loud enough to distract from the TV.
Got you. Aside from the noise issue or if you could relocate it to lower the noise, where would you stand on the issue? Edit: I'm wondering because there's a lot of arguments against putting it in the attic but almost none for putting it in the closet other than losing closet space.

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
I have a list of stuff I'd want in my future house.
- Urinal somewhere
That's called the back yard.

- Bidet toilet. My wife: "If you got poop on your hands, would you simply dry-wipe it off or would you want to wash it off?"
Only faggots like their buttholes tickled. :shaking:

Go ride a Toto some time and see how you like it. It fucking freaked me out (but the control panel was in Japanese, so every function was a mystery experience).

When I finally jumped off, after bucking around on the seat from the unexpected sensations, the fucker painted the bathroom with it's magic finger wand.

^^ I do not want that plastic finger anywhere near my butthole. :eek:

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
We're pretty close to getting our plans finalized but now coming down to more details. As of now looking for input on:

Ceiling heights--leaning to 9' in kids, 10' in master, 11' in living room
I like tall ceilings, good choice
Doorway heights--budget wise 6'8"...would like 8'...if anything 6'8"
6'-8" is pretty standard. Taller is a preference, but it'll make your ceilings "look" shorter
edit: if you'll want tall doors in the future have your builder put the headers high enough to clear them
throughout but have main entrance 8'x36"
good choice
AC handler attic versus utility closet(current plan has them in closets)
in ten years when it needs to come out, what would you prefer?
Location of tankless water heater--in garage, outside by breezeway or in laundry room
consider point of use boosters as well
Master shower head: on a wall or overhead (leaning to overhead)
both. multiple shower heads are popular now.
Thinking of adding an attic to the garage and throwing the misc crap in there
more storage is always good
In floor power for sofa
very good plan, everything in our lives is electric. Hell,
electric reclining sofas are growing in popularity
Floor drains in garage and mud room
be sure to spec out great trap seals if they go to the main drain lines
Entertainment cabinet
I don't like these. Tech changes rapidly leaving some very dated very quickly.
Wide garage
yes. Make sure whatever you'll want will fit comfortably. Also make the driveway wider than the door to make entering and exiting easier,
especially if there is ever a chance of owning a dually.
STORAGE
Laundry by bedroom but extra insulation
I want stacked W/D in my master closet as well as main hookups elsewhere.
Spray foam insulation
absolute hell if you ever decide to remodel, install wire later,
etc. I don't like it.
Acoustic insulation?
very popular around the master. We refer to this as the "moaner package". Consider the sound rating of the door as well
Separate shitter
my preference is to have a water closet
Walk in closets
where reasonable
Walk in pantry
I would
In wall stove/ microwave?
very expensive to replace down the road, but nothing wrong with it
Cooktop vent
vented to exterior and high CFM
Breaker panel with extra room
don't bother if you use spray foam! :flipoff2:
Tankless water heater?
preference. I like a big tank
Safe room? Cast concrete
seems like a waste of money
Light in attic
lights everywhere
Outlets in cabinets and above cabinets
absolutly. I love cabinet lighting, makes it easy to install later
Metal roof with hiddened fasteners
10' deep porch. Consider 8' for front
Taller countertops, 42-44"
like all of them? You guys giants? Stick with 36". 36"
bath tops are becoming popular
Deep sink
yes.
1" plumbing
plumbing sized per code, you may have over 1" at the inlet.
If you have a large tub you'll want a large pipe to feed it.
Extra outlets
yes
natural gas line to outside
way better than exchanging gas tanks. Put outlets outside too
Run wiring with walls exposed
as opposed to after you seal 'em up?
Separate hvac and breaker panel for master. Separate water heater
I like my bedroom cold to sleep in, so creatign a zone in there would be nice
Solar panels?
maybe
Plugs and lights in closet
and a ventilated, cooled closet as a tech room.
Hidden trash can
Or at least plan a good place to have trash and recycles
Bathroom fan/s?
required. Good ones that are quiet are nice. Humidistatically controlled are great too, depending on your climate
36" doors
If it doesn't reuin your plan
48?
not in my opinion
6" exterior wall studs
What insulation R value do you want? 2x6 is standard in colder climates
Separate shut off water valves parts of house
unnecessary
Water softener
depends on your water quality.
Copper sink
not my taste. I like stainless
Attic vent fans
Whole house fan
Got a cat? plan one of those self flushing catboxes
Got a dog? Dogdoor?
Snowy climate? heated driveway?
clerestory and other unreachable windows, powered blinds?
heated floors?
Switched lights everywhere outside
switched recepts for christmas lights
basement? if so consider conduit chases for future wiring.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts