Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been discussed before in different threads, but a compendium of home built pics and links would be handy...

So, who has built successful home built tools?

Post up - and we can all benifit...

Here's my latest one.

I turned an old HF floor jack into a pretty good transmission/axle/transfer case jack by extending the legs and arm.

I am still working on making it look pretty - and on the attatchments for the head (a series of different cradles for different purposes (i,e, lifting an axle (a pair of extended V's - an adjustable plate for trannys - and a cradle for T-cases), but it works - and it goes from floor level to 38" in height - total cost so far is under $10. (used scrap steel).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dig home built tools. Nice job on the tranny jack. I've built a horizontal/vertical band saw, a sandblasting pressure pot, and a sandblast cabinet. Been havin' fun with these gizmos. I'm planning on a sheetmetal brake for my next homey. Guess I'd better break down and get myself a star so I can post pics.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I made a carrier bearing adjuster for Corp. 8.25 and 9.25's.

1 36mm Jeep axle nut welded to a 36" piece of 1" tube, with a 3/4" nut welded to the other end. Works great and was cheap to build @ about $4.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ive built a few things, my favorite tho is my BFH! Simple but effective, just welded a big head to a pipe, im sick of breaking hammers, this one will outlive us all.

I like the tranny jack above, cool idea.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tranny jack saved me around $300 that they get for a professionally built one like that... and it works.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
nice cnc machine goat. got a writeup on how you did it? not like i have the time, patience, or space for something like that, but im a geek and that would make me happy :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hero said:
I courious as to what all is going on with that york? Care to explain that setup a bit further?
Well, after I made the pulley for the york and tested it. I noticed that the pump would heat soak if the on time was more than 5min. As a result the discharge temps where through the roof. So I slapped together a water aftercooler.

1 tupperware container, 20 ft of copper tube, an fountain pump and a AC evaparater from a nissan 240sx. The 20ft of tube is the discharge tube, this sits inside the tupperware container, which is full of water. The fountain pump circulates the water in the container through the evaparator. The muffin fan just blows air through the evap.

Just wondering Goat how much you have invested in that CNC machine? I saw it on the CNC zone and all I can say is WOW! Very nice!!
A little over $500. If I had to do it again I could do it for cheaper and make it lighter.

nice cnc machine goat. got a writeup on how you did it? not like i have the time, patience, or space for something like that, but im a geek and that would make me happy
I didn't document the progress much as I thought that the setup was going to bonk. If I had to do it again I would make it smaller (this thing takes up too much floor space), ditch the lead screws in favor of rack and pinion. Right now I can get about 32ipm before the lead screws start to wobble.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I once purpose built a shop air compressor using Yorks (I ran dual compressors!). I used a 1 HP industrial motor (large frame) and just ran one pulley to the other to power the 2nd pump. The motor had no problems pulling both and the made way more air than my current 5 HP Campbell Hausfield oilless...

I welded a couple of angle irons to the top of a 100# propane tank (flushed nicely befire welding - thank you) and made a verticle tank setup with the motor and pumps up top. I didn't bother with cooling the air or anything, and just kept oil in the pumps via an air tool oiler on the inlet line. (I originally just used those little air filters for the Chevy PCV valves as intake filters and added a little oil from time to time - worked fine but got pretty dirty.)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
i had posted the tranny attachment to my engine crane in a different thread but got pissed when some panzy posted some picks of "new" jacks i should have bought to do the job...

basically it reuses the main slide in, it gets re pined to the bottm tabs i welded on, uses some 2" box to slip into that, some holes drilled, and some chain to support it, the basket end pivots on a bolt, i still need to make an adjuster for it.. Wood block got me throught the first use.. Worked great on my lifted jeep..

lets see, small tool box roller cabnet = welding cart

made a case spreader
small bender for use in the press
... finding pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ironpig70 said:
vager nice stuff but what does that axle tool do???

glfredrick like the jack handle :D great ideas
After using it under the exploder, I realized that a couple of other mods are in order - but that is half the fun of home-built stuff...

I am going to weld an extra handle on the very head of the jacking handle (near the jack itself) so that it is easier to let it down without having two people under there (just a T-bar welded into the handle should do) and I need to shorten the lifting arm just a tad - it tends to get over-centered - but otherwise, I love that jack...

That 97 Exploder is one of the tighter tranny swaps that I have had to do (for whatever reason, Ford took a design that had plenty of room in the earlier models and tightened it up - probably to gain an extra inch in the interior foot area or something - so that it is a real b... to get in there. You have to wedge your arms in everywhere just to make it go... But the good news is that the jack let me slam that tranny in place in one shot - by myself - and that is good with me!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts