Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to convert my bender, just wanting to see other set ups for ideas.

I saw a few here and there just not a dedicated thread.

·
Vendor
2,594 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bought my JD2 Model 32 from Trick Tools, and then adapted the hydraulics from my scissor lift, along with a frame I fabbed up.

DIY Hydraulic Bender.AVI - YouTube

I'm into it for less than a grand including the 1.5" x 180* die I bought with the bender. Probably under $900, but I'm not sure. It will do 90* at a time in about 40 seconds.

I went hydro because I didn't want to have to bolt it down. My shop is too small to dedicate that much room to a bender. Also - after watching all the videos with the air over hydraulic, I REALLY like my setup with the electric pump. SOOO much quieter.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's where I'm at now trying to figure out what I want to do. I have a hydraulic pump and ram from a truck lift gate that I was thinking of using or spending the money on the swag bracket and HF ram.

I have a spare engine stand so I was thinking of mounting it where it can be ran horizontal and vertical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just finished mine last night. Still need to make a cart for it yet but for now the welding table works fine.

I powder coated the brackets and made pins that match the other ones. Also turned a release knob while I was at it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is what I have so far, a year back I got a free lift gate to scrap out. So I pulled the hydro goodies hoping it would work for my bender.

It's 12v which sucks but I have several good batteries laying around and it should be nice to have it free of any cords and stuff. I wasn't sure if it would be up to par but I just bent a piece of 1.5 hrew .120 wall and it didn't even sound like it had a load on it.

I'm mounting it on an engine stand so it can be set up in vertical and horizontal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is what I have so far, a year back I got a free lift gate to scrap out. So I pulled the hydro goodies hoping it would work for my bender.

It's 12v which sucks but I have several good batteries laying around and it should be nice to have it free of any cords and stuff. I wasn't sure if it would be up to par but I just bent a piece of 1.5 hrew .120 wall and it didn't even sound like it had a load on it.

I'm mounting it on an engine stand so it can be set up in vertical and horizontal.
Did you seriously weld that cylinder right to the sleeve? God I hope not but that's what the pic looks like.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I guess first thing is first.

Decide if you want to go full hydro or air over hydro.

Considering there's both in this thread and they are built different, and require different pieces I'd say it's a valid first step :D

If you have the ram, and pump for full go that route for sure :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you seriously weld that cylinder right to the sleeve? God I hope not but that's what the pic looks like.
It's a one way cyl. There's no seals or anything in that end to hurt.

It still goes in and out fine, I didn't want to spend several hours on it then it not have the power to bend 1.5

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
jd2, hf cylinder, plasma cut bracket, piece of tube and some scrap.

Old pic. I'm on my second cyl (air unit crapped out) and I welded the pivot sleeve solid (basically two bushings in the pic.

I'm thinking of replacing my 'pusher' with a 'ratchet bar' so I can get 90 with out repinning (just re-ratcheting, which will be an improvement.) Actually just thought of a better idea I may try out...

·
Registered
69 Posts
A few years (and hundreds of bends) later i'm still on the original HF cylinder and I haven't had to alter my original brackets...

Release knob turned out of aluminum and knurled...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Modded pusher works. 3/8 plate scrap.

I just have to pull it back 3 or 4 inches and then put in the other spot, and keep on going. Second location bends to 105*

Most people can't get a 90 without repinning. This may not be the Ultimate solution, but it's 25% of the work of repinning.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a great idea, I may have to try that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts