Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm to cheap to buy a bender so I'm in the process of making one. The plan is to copy the JD2 model 3 frame and arm links so I can use their dies. I have a 110V hydraulic pump and cylinder I'll be using instead of air/hyd. or manually bending.

The start of the Frame links.

Both frame links and arm links.

Left is the bender I made and on the right is the JD2 bender

Here's the pins I machined

I fabricated a degree wheel

Stamped it just in case I forget it's a copy of the JD2 :D

Now on to the ram mount. I picked up a 110V pump and a cylinder for it. I have it clamped to the table just to test it out.

V

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's how I mounted the ram mount to the bender.

Cylinder mount.

I picked up an engine stand to mount the bender on so I can bend tube vertical or horizontal with a quick change over. The horizontal is easy. The vertical is a little more of a chalenge. The tube doesen't pass through the bender frame at a 90 degree angle and I want to keep the tube level while bending. This means the bender needs to be at an angle to bend vertical. This was my first attempt at the vertical mount. You can see the tube is at an angle. I have to tweek my mount on the engine stand a little, but you get the idea.

I got the bender mount all figured out and it works!

Here's the bender mount when it's in the horizontal position. In this position it uses the two top holes with the engine stand sitting level.

Here's the bender mount in the vertical position. In this position the bender mount pivots on the upper left hole, the other bolt uses the lower mounting bolt hole, and the engine stand in sitting up right.

Back side of the mount.

A shot of the bender in the vertical position. It doesn't look level but trust me it is.

I had to stiffen up the back side of the cylinder mount with a 32x2x3/4 in. flat steel because the 2x1/4 in. square tube was flexing while bending.

It sure is nice when a plan comes together 8).

V

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I ran into the same problem, when vertical the tube is down at an angle. I may have to steal your idea with the two holes.

I don't think it would bug me for short pieces of tube but anything very long would have to be done horizontal.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just use the HF digital level, zero it on the "level" part, and then slap it on the part being bent. As long as you zero it, level is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine is already hydro converted but if it wasn't, I would have cut the cylinder braket like that to fold the cylinder along the bender when not in use. That cylinder take a lot of space in my ever too small garage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm to cheap to buy a bender so I'm in the process of making one. The plan is to copy the JD2 model 3 frame and arm links so I can use their dies. I have a 110V hydraulic pump and cylinder I'll be using instead of air/hyd. or manually bending.

The start of the Frame links.

Both frame links and arm links.

Left is the bender I made and on the right is the JD2 bender

Here's the pins I machined

I fabricated a degree wheel

Stamped it just in case I forget it's a copy of the JD2 :D

Now on to the ram mount. I picked up a 110V pump and a cylinder for it. I have it clamped to the table just to test it out.

V
Can I set of those plans ???? Please

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can I set of those plans ???? Please
Sorry, I don't have a set of plans. I borrowed my buddies JD2 and used it as a template for mine. I could give you the measurments on the ram mount but it wouldn't do you much good unless you got the same size cylinder as mine. To be honest I'd like a longer ram, it all most has enough stroke to do 90* bend without repinning. It's a 17" or 18" cylinder.

V

·
Registered
4 Posts
my Pro-Tools 105hd conversion

Here is mine: I overthunk it a bit, but it has eveything needed, stands, storage, place for pins and dies and its mobile with levelling feet.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts