Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting a safe. Has anybody made their own? At $1000 or more that would buy a lot of plate and welding rods. After watching the video on sawing or prying opening same thin walled steel safe a nice thick one seems better. The trick might be how to fire proof.

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
I think the hardest parts will be finding/making a good set of hinges, getting the door to open/close worth a shit, and making a sturdy locking mechanism.. Fire proofing shouldnt be too bad.. just allow some extra room on your inside dimensions for the extra insulating material.

I would really sit down and think about how much time it will take you and how much materials will cost you.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
A cost/benefit analysis is in order here. $1000 may buy you a whole lot of plate and rods, but the reality is, the time involved in research on materials, purchase and procurement, and fabrication makes buying a safe much more cost effective.

Now building a safe room on the other hand.....

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
a friend went to s storage place that was closing down and bought some of the small SS roll up doors to use for making hidden safes for some of his clients.

He installs one of these doors, then welds 3/8ths plate steel together to form a box inside a medium sized closet. when the door is closed, it looks like a regular closet.

he installs some fireproofing inside the steel plate and then some plywood with felt over it, then shelves and hangers and racks for whatever is going inside.

might want to look around and see if any storage places near you are remodeling or whatever...

he has also built sone safe rooms using what looks like a bank vault door that opens inward...it has a regular wood interior door outside to hide it...cannot be locked or unlocked from outside...

not sure what all he does to those, but I know he has been working on a couple of them in mew construction lately...

·
Registered
853 Posts
What I would do is get a cheapy safe, like a low end liberty and add you're own plates and reinforce the mechanisms. That's what I'm doing.

Oh, and do a search for ceramic wool and find some vendors to sell to you and beef up the fire resistance.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
What I would do is get a cheapy safe, like a low end liberty and add you're own plates and reinforce the mechanisms. That's what I'm doing.

Oh, and do a search for ceramic wool and find some vendors to sell to you and beef up the fire resistance.
I would be careful with adding too much weight to the door. Might mess up the hinges that are made for a lighter weight door.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My idea was more like the tool gang boxes we have at work for the job sites. They use a big ass pad lock protected by a welded frame plate box. Pad and insulate the inside and add some type of dehumidifier. bolted to the floor of my basement.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
My idea was more like the tool gang boxes we have at work for the job sites. They use a big ass pad lock protected by a welded frame plate box. Pad and insulate the inside and add some type of dehumidifier. bolted to the floor of my basement.
locks can be picked VERY VERY EASY.....you need a combo dial or e-dial
never use locks

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a safe. Has anybody made their own? At $1000 or more that would buy a lot of plate and welding rods. After watching the video on sawing or prying opening same thin walled steel safe a nice thick one seems better. The trick might be how to fire proof.
coke machine. i know a guy who knows a guy who used to date a girl who's ex boyfriend has one. hidden in plane sight...

oh and also i would do like 4runner and look into turning a walkin closet into one. i would do that at my house now, but my house is old and it was built before walkins were popular.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
coke machine. i know a guy who knows a guy who used to date a girl who's ex boyfriend has one. hidden in plane sight...

oh and also i would do like 4runner and look into turning a walkin closet into one. i would do that at my house now, but my house is old and it was built before walkins were popular.
There is a guy in phoenix that sells old coke machines on craigslist for this purpose...........pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts

but what crack head home robber wouldn't see a coke machine as a ATM & break in for the 1$ bills & quarters, seriously, they would:homer:

·
III
28,132 Posts
I think the hardest parts will be finding/making a good set of hinges, getting the door to open/close worth a shit, and making a sturdy locking mechanism..
I disagree with this. Exterior post hinges are a snap, you could make them fairly easily, or probably buy them.

Build the box, lay it down on it's back, shim the door in place and weld up the hinges. If you've ever hung a door, I can see this being fairly simple. I think the hard part would be the bolts and locking mechanism.

In any case, I think you'd be better off buying.

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
I disagree with this. Exterior post hinges are a snap, you could make them fairly easily, or probably buy them.

Build the box, lay it down on it's back, shim the door in place and weld up the hinges. If you've ever hung a door, I can see this being fairly simple. I think the hard part would be the bolts and locking mechanism.

In any case, I think you'd be better off buying.
I was talking about internal/hidden hinges.. but I guess if your locking mechanism is built corectly (not just a simple "bolt" on the side opposite of the hinges) it doesnt matter if potential thieves can get to the hinges or not.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Watch Craigslist in your area. I have seen big safes that would hold several rifles go for $500.00. Not the cheap new style gun safes, but 100 year old safes that weigh a ton.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts