Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a lead on a used stud gun to stud tires. Anyone ever bought one of these and done it themselves? I've been toying with the idea for years but never wanted to pay the price of a new one, now that I can get one used it's more appealing.

I'd likely be doing tires that are both pinned for studs and not (would be drilling them to fit the studs).

Just wondering if anyone has been through this and regretted it after buying the gun for all the work it takes to do the actual studding, or the opposite.

Jordan

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Dont stud used tires as the stud just drives whatever debris that has been driven into the hole through the tire.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
smurfsdad said:
Dont stud used tires as the stud just drives whatever debris that has been driven into the hole through the tire.
Good point. Actually all the slightly worn tires I want to stud aren't pinned for it. So any pinned tires I would be doing would be new ones.

From what I've read it is possible to stud non-pinned tires, it just doesn't work as well and is more work.

Jordan

·
Registered
275 Posts
I worked in a tire shop running that gun and it sucked!!!!!!! But then again I did 300+ tires with it. You can stud used tires if your willing to check ever hole for debris. I studded a set for a guy that drilled holes and he brought them back a couple days later and 3/4 of the studs were gone. Not sure if the holes he drilled were to big or what.

·
Registered
878 Posts
A tip.
If you glue the studs then you don't have to wear in the studs.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw some info on the net about glueing them in, i think that would be a persons best bet to do, especially if you drill a new tire.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Newly studded tires need to bedded-in. It will help even if you use adhesive with the studs.

Once the studs are in the tire take the vehicle on a 75 - 100 mile interstate trip. The idea is to get the tire up to temperature, then let it cool. This helps the rubber set around the base of the studs.
Must be aone long trip, several short ones do not have the same effect. Obviously this is a hassle if the rig is a trailer queen.

A little like heat cycling tires.

Is the stud gun a Bruno Wessel? What size studs are you using?

On tires where the studs have pulled out, use a drill to re-drill the holes. This helps in cleaing them out and removing the debris. Use water to "lubricate" the holes, it makes setting the stud easier.

The local ice racers prefer to use seasoned tires. They let a set sit outside for a year before studding them. This makes the tire harder and the studs are then less likely to pull out. Kinda a contradiction though, as soft rubber works best for snow and ice.

HTH.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The brand is OKU and it's made in Germany. Also comes with the auto feeder.

Not sure on stud size, do you have any recommendations? Can the stud gun handle multiple sizes of studs?

Tires will be used just for regular winter street/highway driving. The 100 mile trip does sound like a PIA since the farthest we drive regularly in the winter is 15 miles one way, but if it needs to be done I can.

Thanks for the help!

Jordan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts