Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I might post this over here as well . . .

So I got bored today & decided to dive into this. Ive been contemplating it for awhile & broke out the wrenches today. Theres parts of this Im not 100% on, but figure I'll figure it out as it comes. I think Im gonna drop it down a couple of inches after its all buttoned up.

I started by popping off the fender

I then drilled new holes in the fender 3' lower. I had to cut out the rear, which ddint turn out as well as I'd hoped. Im gonna clean it up some, then cover it. You can see my cheapo compressor peeking out.

Then I taped & cutted the hood right along the body line

Here it is closed, I still need to 'finess' the fender a little closer to the body.
I plan to use door trim all across the bottom as well

Heres the side mocked up, just slightly lower than it will fit when finished. Compared to a before shot of the other side

·
Registered
513 Posts
i did this with my yj also, no camera so i cant post any pics. its actually really easy. all it involved for me, was cutting 3" off either side of the hood, and re-drilling all the original mounting holes 3" lower. i scribed a line down either side of the radiator support on the inside of the fenders, and cut on the lines so i can still mount the fenders to the radiator support. i beat the front of the fenders to match the contour around the headlights, and i had to trim a bit of the battery box bracket off. all in all about 2-3 hours and a great look, and i have an extra 3" of room to flex on either side.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did this with my yj also, no camera so i cant post any pics. its actually really easy. all it involved for me, was cutting 3" off either side of the hood, and re-drilling all the original mounting holes 3" lower. i scribed a line down either side of the radiator support on the inside of the fenders, and cut on the lines so i can still mount the fenders to the radiator support. i beat the front of the fenders to match the contour around the headlights, and i had to trim a bit of the battery box bracket off. all in all about 2-3 hours and a great look, and i have an extra 3" of room to flex on either side.

Yeah Im in process of 'Metal Shaping', with a dead blow & various widths of rounded pieces of wood :D

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,984 Posts
Cool :smokin: I like how you matched it with the upper body line. More pics! How are you going to finish the raw edge of the hood? Reweld the seam, or just door trim molding? It seems like it would be more rigid if you reweld the seam.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
this may be a different approach but why didnt you just "skin" the fender and then add a 3" extension on to it @ the upper seam, doing that would allow you not to change any mounting holes on the inner fender wells.... retaining everything internally to remain unchanged, in essence just moving the skin up, i believe thats how the aev kits are....

looks good and only 2K cheaper.! :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cool :smokin: I like how you matched it with the upper body line. More pics! How are you going to finish the raw edge of the hood? Reweld the seam, or just door trim molding? It seems like it would be more rigid if you reweld the seam.
I may use an epoxy . . . Yep, door trim on the exposed edge. Gonna bump the fender up another 1/4 or so, so it matches the body line better, prolly at the same time I do my motor swap.

this may be a different approach but why didnt you just "skin" the fender and then add a 3" extension on to it @ the upper seam, doing that would allow you not to change any mounting holes on the inner fender wells.... retaining everything internally to remain unchanged, in essence just moving the skin up, i believe thats how the aev kits are....

looks good and only 2K cheaper.! :D
Yep, I'll eventually just build tube fenders, lining MY holes with the factory holes. :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
kind of a bad shot to show the fenders, but you can see them anyway. i removed the supports under the fender so they flap a bit when i run over bumps, but im going to replace them in the spring hopefully. they really do the trick though. ive got a 4" lift with 33's and before the mod, i would flex into the fenders...not anymore.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
kind of a bad shot to show the fenders, but you can see them anyway. i removed the supports under the fender so they flap a bit when i run over bumps, but im going to replace them in the spring hopefully. they really do the trick though. ive got a 4" lift with 33's and before the mod, i would flex into the fenders...not anymore.

that stinger is Horrible, why ohh why would you do that, i tell you what, i will bend you a big one to replace that one, just pay the shipping:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
513 Posts
yeah im gonna cut it off, planning a tube bender in the spring. my buddy built it for me out of poop pipe, he couldnt get it right in one bend, it sticks out too far, and it is too tall. itll be getting a smaller, real one in the spring. for now, its just keeping the retards from cutting me off. people in new england dont know how to drive.

kinda sucks, i really just put the jeep together in the last year, and im already outgrowing it. shes getting xj's in the rear, more trimming and q's all around. may strech the front also. big changes coming in the spring.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The passengers side was all in all a PITA, fenders bent & wont line up. Then I trimmed the hood too much, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ive been thinkin about doin this for quite some time but i havent really thought of a good way to cut the rear to match.... it seems the only way is comp cut and my jeep(ie: wallet) is not up to that par yet....

Any good ideas on the rear?

·
Registered
513 Posts
im dying to get a set of rear fender flares from a new jk, to avoid the comp cut, and street legality issues that pop up with it.i think they would do the trick perfectly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
how would that do the trick? The rear half of the flair stops short and its at a more acute angle than the TJ one is already, youd have 3/4 of a flare and on the back where it matters it would be smaller.

·
Registered
513 Posts
im thinking to place the flare as far back as possible, and weld in a panel to fill the rest of the factory wheel opening. im thiking where the flare stops short, it would be closer to the rear of the quarter panel. it would avoid the usual comp cut and again, be street legal.

although it would be tricky at this point to get a stock jk rear set of flares without ordering them from the factory, and may be easier to do the same thing with a set of tj flares and some trimming.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Shoot - I was just gonna lift the fender to the body line, sharpie where the holes are & sharpie out the inside. Then drill & cut away . . . :flipoff2:

Got some more toys today . . .

1 - 20 of 118 Posts