Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anybody built their own parts washer and been happy with it?
I have a very deep single bowl stainless kitchen sink. I was thinking it might be a good start for a parts washer. But the more I search the more I think the HF one is too inexpensive to justify piecing together my own.

I found this one http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739597&highlight=parts+washer built by 1TON73K5. It is fawkin pimp, but way more than I need. Any others out there?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I think you pretty much figured it out unless you have all the parts right at hand or want some custom build. With me it seems I always need to go get something or order something in.

Then get side tracked till I need to clean something but by then something else has been used else where and not replaced

It is cheaper if you have the money to just go buy one plug it in and you are ready to clean.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
While I'm all for buidling stuff myself, I've had to come to the realization that I'm in this to make a buck and don't have the luxury of building something when it's cheap to buy one and merely take it out of the box.

That said, I like the two bowl idea, one for dirty stuff and one for clean stuff. Unfortunately, a suitable pump runs about $65 (or that's what I paid for one the last time I replaced the one in my Safety-Kleen tank). If the pump weren't so expensive, I'd have one with a two bowl sink.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
My homebuilt parts washer? Five gallon bucket, some PurplePower and water, and a scrub brush... :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
That one that 1TON73K5 is freakin amazing, and that's the only reason I would ever build one is to make it large enough to fit huge stuff into. Otherwise I'd just drop the $100 for the harbor freight one. The steel hose/nozzle on it isn't the best, but most the time I just dip my parts washer brush and go to scrubbing without even turning on the pump anyways...

That being said I put diesel fuel in mine as solvent, but I'd like to someday try some simple green or purple power as solvent and use a heating element. Would make using the parts washer much more enjoyable in sub freezing temperatures! Of course you'd probably have to keep the solvent from freezing if its water based, so it's kinda a win/lose proposition...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts