Pirate 4x4 banner

501 - 520 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Also, here's mine... Almost exclusively scrap steel. Only about 5' of 2x2x.25 in it as well. The main arms are about 6" shorter than spec, the gusset arms are only 1.5x.120 wall and the base is a bread cart from ingles plus some 3/16" angle. So it's quite a bit lighter than most here, but it's still heavy as hell...
So far I've only bent 1.75x.120 DOM and it did just fine, but I have to repin the die once for a 90* bend, I might try mounting the ram in a different hole.

I like the spring idea to pull the arm back down.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
^^^ How do you like the Wixey angle level?
Works great. Far more accurate than the dial type angle gauges I had. Use it for a lot more than bending tube as well. Anyway, get the tubing in the die, pump a few times to get it tight, zero the guage, bend to whatever angle ( plus springback) and you're done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not know if I left a post here already, but I made up some instructions to modify the old HD tube bender plans to an Air/Hyd setup. If you purchased my plans just drop me an e-mail and i will hook you up.

Frank Takacs
www.gottrikes.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
whats the differance between the HD tube bender plans and the Air/Hyd tube bender plans? what one is everyone else on here using?
im going to order the plans as soon i know... i want the heavist duty one for 2" stuff and with the air hydro ram

thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
whats the differance between the HD tube bender plans and the Air/Hyd tube bender plans?
One is just a normal hand operated ram, the other uses a Air/Hydro ram...
Check out his site for more information.

what one is everyone else on here using?
I'm building the Air/Hydro model (Style B).

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh thanks

cant you just put a air/ram on the manual one?.... i like the base of the manual one better on the gottrikes site... it looks like all the other ones that people on here build but i could be wrong

·
Registered
491 Posts
oh thanks

cant you just put a air/ram on the manual one?.... i like the base of the manual one better on the gottrikes site... it looks like all the other ones that people on here build but i could be wrong

From what I've gathered the Air/Hydro version is a modified HD to accommodate for the extra space the Air/Hydro ram takes up. It's also a fairly new revision, and given how old this thread is, most built it before the Air/Hydro model was out. They just modified the HD to fit...

The 'Style B' of the Air/Hydro also has the specs for the "space saver frame", which if you're building this in the first place isn't to hard to figure out. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered the AH Model the other day.. I had the plans in my inbox within an hour of ordering it.. I have briefly looked them over and they look very good.. I can't wait to get started on this project..

·
Registered
11 Posts
sweet... this pay pal thing sucks i may not be ordering for a while, aparently i already had an account but i dont have the same e-mail anymore and something happend and my account is locked so im waiting for pay pal to verify stuff....

·
AZUndertaker
904 Posts
I just finished up converting my PT 105 to full hydraulic vertical mount. It works great!
I didn't get pics tonight it got dark befor I could get the pic. I'll have to post up later.
Basicly I made the frame out of 3"x4"x5/16" Rectangular tubing. I know it is over kill but that's what I found at the scrapyard.
I used a 3"x18" two way hydraulic cylinder that I had sitting around for the ram and hooked it up to a really old, ugly hydraulic power unit that I bough a couple years ago at an auction for $5, it is nothing more than some old hydraulic pump coupled to a 1 hp 115 volt electric motor, a resevoirthat holds a couple of gallons and a 2 way hydraulic valve.
I use this hyd. unit to power my press also so I just added some quick connect couplings and some hoses to the "new" bender.
This is the epitomy of booty fab probably, $50 in steel ( Damn this scrap metal has gotten expensive!) and the rest Is stuff I had laying around!
I tested it out on some 1.75"x .120" HREW and it did what I wanted with no problem.
The hyd set up isn't real fast but that allows better accruacy.
This thing is heavy!! Probably about 250 lbs. for the frame, cyl. and bender setup. But I wanted it that way, it's more stable to work with.
The 18" ram is a bit short I can only get about 40 Degrees bend on a full stroke so this means I just need to repin the die 3 times to get a full 90 degrees, It's kind of a pain but not too bad.
I did a 180 deg. bend just to test it out and I had no problems, just a bunch of repinning.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, I have my bender finished. I'm ready to start to play with it. I have a 1.75 inch 240 degree die and 11 or so feet of 1.75inch dom. Could someone give me a "BEST" order of operations for setting up a length of dom to bend, I've read tinbenders article but I would really like to know what people have found to be the best and most efficient way to set up the tube in the bender.

thanks
kevin

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Well, I have my bender finished. I'm ready to start to play with it. I have a 1.75 inch 240 degree die and 11 or so feet of 1.75inch dom. Could someone give me a "BEST" order of operations for setting up a length of dom to bend, I've read tinbenders article but I would really like to know what people have found to be the best and most efficient way to set up the tube in the bender.

thanks
kevin
Best/most efficient way is to buy bendtech and calibrate it for your dies. Then you waste nothing. :) Plus it's awesome software.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not looking so much for info on bending and calculations, more for overall operations, installing tube, lubricating dies, repinning, removing the tube etc etc.

thx
k

·
Mayor of Flat Rock
696 Posts
Not looking so much for info on bending and calculations, more for overall operations, installing tube, lubricating dies, repinning, removing the tube etc etc.
I ain't no expert, but a few things are:
1) use clean tube with no rust
2) lube the follower die; I use lithium grease; I don't know what's best
3) I re-pin when the ram has maxed out; mine will bend about 75 degrees per ram stroke
4) keep an eye on the follower die; you don't want to gawld it
5) be careful; there are some combinations of dies and ram pin locations that can let the ram shaft hit follower die
6) I'm sure there are more..............

Good Luck,
NIB

·
Registered
216 Posts
The piece of tube I have has some rust on it so I'll clean it up. Found the pt105 manual online so I might try a 3' section tomorrow to do the 90 degree bend that tinbender said to start with. I'm just finding the bender awkward to load but, I'm sure it will get better w/ more experience.

·
AZUndertaker
904 Posts
Take some advise and go buy your self some 1.75"x.120 HREW tube to practice on, It's way cheaper than DOM. I just hate to see anyone waste good DOM Tubing.
I just bought HREW for $2.50 /foot where my local suppliers ARE selling DOM @around $8/ft.

501 - 520 of 1000 Posts