Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
generalee7 said:
Has anyone used a drill press on theirs? I have access to a large Craftsman floor press with the proper clamping tools (very accurate vices). Was it tough to get the holes accurate enough?
Yes, thats what I used. I used small bits to start with, then went up in size in steps. Ran the drill press on slow speed (250 rpm's) and clamped the stock down tight. I also tack welded apossing (sp) pieces togeather so the holes would all line up. They didn't turn out perfect, but they are close enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
generalee7 said:
Has anyone used a drill press on theirs? I have access to a large Craftsman floor press with the proper clamping tools (very accurate vices). Was it tough to get the holes accurate enough?
I was also worried abouit he accuracy of a press instead of a mill..
I talked to 3 difffrent people who have built these arms and the consensus is that a press works just fine..

I drew my template on one of the arms..just amke sure that the measurements are exactly correct ..I tacked the arms together and drilled pilot holes..1/4" I believe..then I seperated the arms and drilled out the holes..

no problem..
I did find that steping up the drill bit size didint work
so I jsut went from the 1/4" pilot right to 7/8" or 3/4"

lots of cutting oil

each hole took me about 5 min..the bit would bind up sometimes..no biggie
I used HF bits the $22 set
and one 7/8" bit got me about 12 holes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
yotaboy79 said:
i built the same one about 7 months ago and its been treating me realy well i plan on converting it to full hydro here soon i also re worked the plans a little bit on the frame i used 1 1/4 .095 wall on every part of the frame exept the two uprights which i used the 2x2x.250 im just using regular cold rolled round for the pins and i havent had any sighns of fatege or falure

i bent the crap out of the cold roll 1 inch main pin on 2 inch DOM. i do not suggest this. i almost screwed up my die. find something stronger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
about what are you guys forkin over for the materials? and with that price, are they cut to size?
I got access to a full machine shop...mills lathes, you know it., prob is that i don't have the time. i'm thinkin about having the steel supplier cut it to length for me, and I'll do the drilling/welding.
Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,647 Posts
Jeepin5.0 said:
about what are you guys forkin over for the materials? and with that price, are they cut to size?
I got access to a full machine shop...mills lathes, you know it., prob is that i don't have the time. i'm thinkin about having the steel supplier cut it to length for me, and I'll do the drilling/welding.
Josh
Cost me $100 for 24 feet of 2x2x.25 in 8 ft chunks.
The 4 feet of 2.5x5/8 cold roll was $33 - with the individual pieces cut to size.

Doesn't take much time to cut the pieces, my little 4x6 bandsaw cut all the 2x2 in a couple hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
got a price of all the steel cut to size within 1/16th inch for $130....think i'm going with that.
Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,411 Posts
We were unable to find the 5/8" plate so I guess we are gonna use 3/4 and mill the ends where it swings through the upright 2x2. Still kinda up in the air about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,411 Posts
Thought about that too. I don't see that it will affect anything really if we do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
tennessee rockhumper said:
i bent the crap out of the cold roll 1 inch main pin on 2 inch DOM. i do not suggest this. i almost screwed up my die. find something stronger.
ive bent 1 1/2 .188 dom which is actualy more than the dies are rated for with out any problems no sighns of falier or any thing and i dont plan on bending any thing stronger than that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
glen:
reflexx is correct. i just made mine wider to accomedate the 3/4 inch plate, no problem i can see happened

yotaboy79:
a 2 inch .120 wall DOM will bend a cold roll main pin. i bent mine and had to sawzall the pin out to the left and to the right of the die to remove it then drive the pin out of the die with a punch and a BFH. if your bending 1 1/2 inch .188 wall with a coldroll pin, more power to you, just keep an eye on it. IMO its worth an upgraded pin not to destroy a expensive die, like i almost did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,411 Posts
Cool will probably just do that.

So what is the consensus on the pins......Protools pins??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,411 Posts
OK, I was just wondering since someone back on Pg. 3 said they bought all the pins from PT for like $11 bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Why not just buy some hardened shafting from mcmaster.com

I'd be afraid of using gr8 bolts, that's alot of pressure on the peaks of the threads. It might gall into the steel dies or bender arms.

It's more money, but you get what you pay for.

I might be finally painting my bender Tues night, i'll post pics as soon as I've got some.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,902 Posts
Reflexx said:
Why not just buy some hardened shafting from mcmaster.com

I'd be afraid of using gr8 bolts, that's alot of pressure on the peaks of the threads. It might gall into the steel dies or bender arms.

It's more money, but you get what you pay for.

I might be finally painting my bender Tues night, i'll post pics as soon as I've got some.
I bought hardened shafts from them, nice quality!
 
101 - 120 of 1000 Posts
Top