Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here is some info of my bender i made last summer.

it uses 1" two row chain/sprocket and hydraulic ram to drive the die.
power scource is 3 phase 400v 1.5kw motor and hydraulic pump
it has hydraulic clamping for tube.

first i made the dies or actually cutter to make the dies.
pic and vid of the radius cutter i made to make dies.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
then it was time for bender it self.
i had chain sprockets and chain laying in my shop. played some with them and got this idea to use ram/chain to drive the die
oxy acetylene cutted and shaped the bender frame from 30mm (1,18") thick steel plate.

made main shaft to the bigger chain sprocket and fitted smaller sprocket to ram.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i machined the slider dies in lathe from solid square metal bar. cutted it to half and i got slider die ,clamping piece and piece for the die.
i made quick release system for the slider dies and tube clamping for the bender.

clamping plate bolts to the main shaft and has drive pins for the dies

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
woah very nice!

For the dies, how did you attatch the larger diameter ones to the lathe (to fit the chuck) and how did you measure the precise radius you wanted on your tool you made?

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Cool idea! How well does it work? Looking at this makes me wonder about using a hydraulic motor instead of a chain and cylinder.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
woah very nice!

For the dies, how did you attatch the larger diameter ones to the lathe (to fit the chuck) and how did you measure the precise radius you wanted on your tool you made?
when die was made i used my big radius jaws and made cutted small step in to it, then changed normal jaws and took hold from the step i had made , cutted the center hole and then supported it with tailstock.

i measured radius to the tool by caliper. and i had tube sized bar to test the cutted radius.

·
Registered
69 Posts
that sweet ....goood job

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would sure be proud of that project. great job. I have the tools you have to do that project, not quite the ability though and it takes the desire and time. keep up the good work ED

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you for posting this for us all to see. It is quite obvious all the thought and work that went into this bender. This has to be one of the nicest home/shop built benders I've seen. Appears as though it works as well as it looks too. Like I said on the OFN, this is inspiring me to build the one I thought of years ago that is very similar to yours. Not that I really have the time, but this has me thinking about it. If nothing else I'll start collecting parts.

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
Great job on the bender.. thanks for posting up the details of the build. That is something to be really proud of. :beer:

1 - 20 of 118 Posts