Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Man. I can't figure out how the heck you were able to make that outside radius, other than maybe a radius cutter on a vertical mill and a rotory table.

You've inspired me to get around to putting together a casting setup. So many parts I just can't make because the material costs would be too great after throwing away the chips. That way you can just remelt them.

EDIT: oh, and I would have no issue at all with running the bends at the top of the page, they look fantastic to me.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Man. I can't figure out how the heck you were able to make that outside radius, other than maybe a radius cutter on a vertical mill and a rotory table.

You've inspired me to get around to putting together a casting setup. So many parts I just can't make because the material costs would be too great after throwing away the chips. That way you can just remelt them.

EDIT: oh, and I would have no issue at all with running the bends at the top of the page, they look fantastic to me.
i dont have mill only old lathe, im pretty limited how to make parts.

i made mold to my die and casted it. then just hand fitted it.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
got this 19" long pressure die done.
had some serious vibration issues in my 40" long cuttin bar but managed to control it by adding support from wall behind my lathe to back side of cutting bar:D:laughing: and and keeping lead weight top of it.

now i have to make some kind of holder for it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Badass! :smokin: Took me a second to comprehend your tool setup, but then I realized what you were making. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
made this simple pressure die adjuster and test mounted my wiper die too.

made couple test bend before final assebly and manged to make pretty nice bends:bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

i have to lock my clamping die using bolt or the cylinder wont hold the tube in place.

took some shitty cell phone video too. something is flexing or i have some air in my working cylinder, it makes this terrible noise when bending, but it works:flipoff2::flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
I'm not even the least bit ashamed to admit that I have no F'n clue what you built but that bender is still badass. :laughing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
then it was time for bender it self.
i had chain sprockets and chain laying in my shop. played some with them and got this idea to use ram/chain to drive the die
oxy acetylene cutted and shaped the bender frame from 30mm (1,18") thick steel plate.

made main shaft to the bigger chain sprocket and fitted smaller sprocket to ram.
Hi guys,

ZAG, your awesome project made me jump aboard the forum, I have a few questions though:

1) What are the diameters of the chain sprockets ?
2) What's the pressure output on your pump ?
3) What's the internal diameter of the main bending ram ?
4) What's the diameter of the big sprocket axle ?

Thanks !
2x4.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I bet that vibration is coming from your 19" long sliding pressure die...

Could you use like a replaceable delrin or teflon sheet on that clamp that it slides against? That would allow it to slide without binding as much. Don't know how it would hold up to repeated use though... Even if you bored some holes into the clamping surface and used some delrin cut off into pucks as pressure points that might work too. Replacement would be as easy as popping the old ones out and putting new ones in then.

Just my thoughts after watching the video. :)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I bet that vibration is coming from your 19" long sliding pressure die...

Could you use like a replaceable delrin or teflon sheet on that clamp that it slides against? That would allow it to slide without binding as much. Don't know how it would hold up to repeated use though... Even if you bored some holes into the clamping surface and used some delrin cut off into pucks as pressure points that might work too. Replacement would be as easy as popping the old ones out and putting new ones in then.

Just my thoughts after watching the video. :)
vibration sound comes from mandrel friction.

in the video i was using way too much force in the pressure die,
while i was doing my header bends i noticed it doesnt need much force in the pressure die. lowering the pressure die force made vibration sound go to minimal and bends took less power from machine but still made good bends.

never tested how low i could go in the pressure die force before it starts wrinkling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please ZAG:

4) What's the diameter of the big sprocket axle ? (main hinge axle)

Thanks !
2x4.

EDIT: Am I invisible on the forum ? is it because I'm a new member or is it because of my free membership ?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Please ZAG:

4) What's the diameter of the big sprocket axle ? (main hinge axle)

Thanks !
2x4.

EDIT: Am I invisible on the forum ? is it because I'm a new member or is it because of my free membership ?
maybe you should read the build up and find the info there.

it gets pretty annoying when people are just begging drawings and all the info just to copy it.

i will help and give tips from stuff i have learned during this build up but like posted earlier
(i would rather see more people doing unique homemade tools/machines than making or buying same stuff everyone has)

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
i dont have mill only old lathe, im pretty limited how to make parts.

i made mold to my die and casted it. then just hand fitted it.
Damn, all the more reason for me to get into casting.

You may be limited in machinery, but not ingenuity. :beer:

·
Registered
4 Posts
maybe you should read the build up and find the info there.

it gets pretty annoying when people are just begging drawings and all the info just to copy it.

i will help and give tips from stuff i have learned during this build up but like posted earlier
(i would rather see more people doing unique homemade tools/machines than making or buying same stuff everyone has)
OK, I apologize for overlooking some info you gave to other members, I went through the thread a third time and found the answers to most of my questions:
2) What's the pressure output on your pump ? >>> 250 Bar
3) What's the internal diameter of the main bending ram ? >>> 80 mm
4) What's the diameter of the big sprocket axle ? (main hinge axle) >>> 120 mm

But I didn't find an answer to my first most important question:

1) What are the diameters of the chain sprockets ???

Well, I need this info because I have found two different sets of sprockets at the scrap yard, one has a 200mm diameter and the other one has 400 mm diameter large sprocket.
I have calculated the required cylinder stroke for both sets but what I actually don't know is the required force to bend the tube, so I wanted to calculate the lever arm on your bender which is working great.

Since you do not provide drawings, my bender will not be the same as yours, it will just be based on the same concept...I intend to design mine in SolidWorks but I need the base numbers to get a working bender, as I am not a mechanical engineer and don't master the FEA feature yet...And I'll have to rely on my neighbor to do the machining.

Thanks for sharing !
2x4.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
OK, I apologize for overlooking some info you gave to other members, I went through the thread a third time and found the answers to most of my questions:
2) What's the pressure output on your pump ? >>> 250 Bar
3) What's the internal diameter of the main bending ram ? >>> 80 mm
4) What's the diameter of the big sprocket axle ? (main hinge axle) >>> 120 mm

But I didn't find an answer to my first most important question:

1) What are the diameters of the chain sprockets ???

Well, I need this info because I have found two different sets of sprockets at the scrap yard, one has a 200mm diameter and the other one has 400 mm diameter large sprocket.
I have calculated the required cylinder stroke for both sets but what I actually don't know is the required force to bend the tube, so I wanted to calculate the lever arm on your bender which is working great.

Since you do not provide drawings, my bender will not be the same as yours, it will just be based on the same concept...I intend to design mine in SolidWorks but I need the base numbers to get a working bender, as I am not a mechanical engineer and don't master the FEA feature yet...And I'll have to rely on my neighbor to do the machining.

Thanks for sharing !
2x4.

big is ~250mm

this was posted in here:flipoff2:
torgue in my bender shaft after chain rations is ~5000 lb/ft.

i messured bending force from my old protools it was ~3200 ft-lb
to bend 1.99" 0.100" wall tube in 6" die

TheBandit observed bending forces from his bender.
3,400 ft-lb of torque to bend 1.75x0.120 DOM tubing.
3,900 ft-lb of torque to bend 1.75x0.120 cromoly tubing

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've seen a lot of homemade tube benders, but this is unquestionably one of the nicest examples.

We have this build listed on the website in my profile, and fully credited out to you and this site: ZAG's Chain-Driven Tube Bender.

So far we only display a reduced-size photo of the build (like what you would find in Google Images). If you're interested in giving your permission, we'd like to publish the original fullsize images with your build listing.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I've seen a lot of homemade tube benders, but this is unquestionably one of the nicest examples.

We have this build listed on the website in my profile, and fully credited out to you and this site: ZAG's Chain-Driven Tube Bender.

So far we only display a reduced-size photo of the build (like what you would find in Google Images). If you're interested in giving your permission, we'd like to publish the original fullsize images with your build listing.
thanks.

you have my permission

81 - 100 of 120 Posts