Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Vendor
1,458 Posts
This remains my all time favorite home made bender. My hat if off to you man. Right down to the large easy to read degree indicator. Very well done.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
i was bending some parts to buggy and had camera stalking me:D

die change and couple shock hoops

·
Registered
887 Posts
color me impressed :D
we have a cnc mandrel bender in our shop that we use for 2.5'' and 3'' .065'' wall 304 tubing
you pretty much built our bought machine for 3% of our cost

we need to make a cnc 3/8'' hanger rod bender, so i've been reading some of the out of the box bender builds
i've pretty much figured out the bender, cutting the rod is my achilles heal right now

great project!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
color me impressed :D
we have a cnc mandrel bender in our shop that we use for 2.5'' and 3'' .065'' wall 304 tubing
you pretty much built our bought machine for 3% of our cost

we need to make a cnc 3/8'' hanger rod bender, so i've been reading some of the out of the box bender builds
i've pretty much figured out the bender, cutting the rod is my achilles heal right now

great project!
thanks.

it was fun to build and cheap too when you get all the parts from scrap piles.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
added some oil to it, had covers out so it took some vid how the chain moves in there.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
added some oil to it, had covers out so it took some vid how the chain moves in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeEI9ha9aJI
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere in the build thread, but what makes the bender retract? A clock-spring?

EDIT: Went back and read on youtube that it has a cable, pulley and spring to retract it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
this may sound dumb but how did you determine youre clr?? im about to attempt to built a die for 13/4 .095 wall dom for my first bender and have a little confusion in that department

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
started doing upgrade for bigger clamping cylinder. had to bore the holder for bigger cylinder size.

used my lathe to bore it.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Good idea. Was it difficult to get it lined up straight to start with?
it was easy
had solid steel bar in the chuck same size as old ram was and clamped the bender part to it and then shimmed/clamped bender part to cross slide.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
had a old double ended ram,shortened it and made new rear plug with 3/8" port on it.

went from 3200kg clamping force to 5000kg with this bigger ram:D:D

it works again and has power and no leaks:smokin::smokin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Sir:

Would You very kind to tell me the size double chain path in your nice tube bender.

Very best regards from J. Julian Zambrano

·
Registered
1 Posts
@ZAG I joined this forum for the sole purpose of thanking you for all the detailed info about your bending rig. I've always wanted to build my own custom bicycle frame since I was a teenager where spent way too much time in high school shop class and now as an older dude that got back into relearning tricks on BMX bikes I decided to take on the challenge to make that happen. I've been doing a lot of research and I've found lots of good sites and YouTube channels of people that have also pursued building their own frames in their garage. Getting nice wrinkle and kink free bends with thin wall 4130 seemed to be a common problem encountered with the hobbyist garage builder crowd. I was never able to picture how the commercially made mandrels linked the balls together since the photos always show them assembled instead of a shot of disassembled parts. I happened to find some alibaba link that showed a mandrel that seemed to be held together with a link chain which was interesting but shortly after more digging ran into this post which showed your dissembled view with a stranded cable as the core. The single "bullet" style mandrel designs I saw might be enough to make it work but your multi part design concept has been filed away for future reference.

Thanks again for sharing the details of your creation!!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Forgot all about this awesome post. Thanks fro digging it up Soda!

@ZAG, thanks agin for sharing your build.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts