Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to not spend nearly 4K to convert both my Rams to locking hubs, I’m trying to make my own kit. I need some help on a few things that will let me know if this is possible or not.

My plans.
2006 super duty stub shaft, unit bearings and hubs swapped onto my 2012 and 2013 aam. I will have them redrilled to 8 on 6.5”

If my research is correct, my Rams have 1555 u-joints and the Ford has 1480. This will mean either custom stub shafts or conversion joints. I’m hoping to find conversion joints.

Yes, I understand the 1480 is weaker, but the reality is, I will never break them in either of my trucks. They get used in snow on the highway, and the occasional slippery fields.

I also understand that a conversion joint isnt ideal, but As long as I verify no binding at full lock, I don’t see this being a problem for me.

From there, my rotor mounting surface isn’t the same. I will order a billet spacer to offset the rotor into the correct position.

Does this sound feasible?

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also thought about swapping the inner shafts to the earlier aam with smaller u-joints if needed, but getting a little mixed info on their size.

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
You’ll need to bore out the knuckle to 140mm, either machine ford hub’s pilots down to ram’s Pilot size or open up rotors and wheels. You’re going to do all of machining yourself? $4k don’t sound that bad after adding up all of stuff; 4 bearings, 4 stub shafts, machining, etc. :laughing:

·
Registered
510 Posts
There was a company doing this with the ford unit bearings I remember seeing. Problem is once you do custom work on a wear item like a unit bearing you then have to repeat that work everytime you replace said wear item.

In the 2nd gen dodge D60 to locking hubs thread there was a guy that chimed in with a 2012 ram I believe that was able to convert it with ford D60 spindles getting him locking hubs and serviceable bearings along with 8x6.5 BP.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Best thing I ever did to my dodge was swap in a ford front.
What year is your dodge? I’d like to swap my 2010. I’m not nervous about the fab work or any of that but I am a little about the ABS and the reluctor. I can’t recall exactly the tooth count but as I understand they are pretty close. What did you do about the ABS?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
I knew it was close. Is it close enough that the dodge won’t careand the ABS will work normally?
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/22211721-post2.html
I can't comment on changing the whole axle units but I can comment on the Tone rings!! I have the Ford Super Duty front unit bearings and lock out hubs on the front of my 4 gen. They have the 60 tooth Tone ring where the Dodge factory units have 55 tooth. Only thing I have noticed by doing this is that my EVIC reads low on the fuel mileage part while it is actually better and also that the traction control is not so fast to engage but still does. No error codes etc

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
So i dropped off that busted up aam i posted and all the outer parts to rb84 tonight and we were talking his plan through.

One thing i had forgoten about from the dynatrac kits i had installed in the past was how they resolved the issues of the 1480 vrs 1485 ujoints. They provided spacer shims that installed in the shafts for 1480 joints to be used with 1485 axle shafts, these would assumedly be the same needed for the mordern 1550/1555 joints.

If any one has some or has a link to some hes going to need 4-8 to make 2 kits worth.
Or know of 1/2 breed joints.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are awesome! The u-joints are now figured out thanks to you both.
Based on a couple phone calls after seeing this link, I can get both joints for under $90 through different manufacturers, I just needed the part numbers. Thanks.

I’m making headway with this conversion. As of now, I have established that I can easily convert an 02-09 aam housing with a custom stub and a small amount of machining.

I’ll need to pull my truck or the wife’s in next to figure out the late model aam next.

I’m going to keep pushing to figure out this conversion due to the simple fact that the current kits are $2000 and in my opinion, a complete ripoff. I have countless buddies with rams that want to do it, but can’t take the price tag.

After seeing the “ram man” post above, I see it’s completely possible. I will not be using his stub or washer system that spaces the rotor.

I’ve had a few folks tell me that this conversion will require “custom” parts which is going to make it not worthwhile, because replacement parts will not be “off the shelf”, but the same can be said about the current kits on the market.

I’m currently shopping for a mill and lathe and will be able to handle all the machine work in my personal shop.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts