·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
All you need now is a place to put the empties and you are good to go. :D

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
I just built mine yesterday.

I put 6" wheels on the back and little legs on the front. Tilt it back to roll it (like a hand truck). Top has a flat unfinished metal surface that I can use as a portable welding table.

8' of 1" angle iron (had in the shop)
22' of 1" square tube $22 (.99 a foot, used to be about .30 a foot)
2 pieces 18"x24" 12 gauge sheet metal (had in the shop)
22" piece of roundbar, for axle (had in the shop)
2 6" wheels $12
A few random pieces of scrap, to hold the axle

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I just dumped my old rickety cart, "acquired" a small shopping cart from the 99cent store as a basis for the new one. Any reason the bottle can't lay back at an angle? Anyone have any "cart conversions" to share?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Murph said:

Hey, Thanks for the info on the Hobart forum! Interesting! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Made from a $12.99 2 wheel cart and left over angle and tube, diamond plate, still need to put expanded metal in the bottom, it slants up slightly and I have pull handles on it now.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
LazyDog said:
IMO, make a cart that will carry two bottles.

Just to give you some ideas, here are some pics of the cart I made for my TIG machine.

Where is the cooler?

I started building a big ol' large cooler. TIG buddy mentioned "na, just use a 5 gallon bucket of water, all you need". Yep, I wore out long before the water got warm at all. Found a aluminum cylinder about the same size as the tank (7.5" diameter) to use as a "high tech" water bucket. :)

In my case big ol' old Hobart TIG welder (250Amp) that weighs around 400 pounds (big copper windings), so added a bottle rack to the back of it.

Only thing I'd do different... room for a SECOND Argon tank (for back purging).

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Here are some pics of my patent pending welding cart. 4 wheel independent suspension, welder sits on a turntable, cart holds most everything you need for fabricating. Handle can be swapped out for hitch type mount to be towed behind ATV's. Several other features. If you fabricate outside your shop than this cart is for you. If I ever get some free time I plan on building a few more prototypes with some minor design changes before taking out to manufactures for production estimates. These carts are kickass and someday I hope most of you will agree. I can't wait to start this business as wrenching on rigs is strating to get old.

Jeff
________
Live Sex

Attachments

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Jeff, you have waaaaay to much time on your hands, Looks like you Mandera'd it.

[SIZE=6]edited for comma[/SIZE]

·
Registered
560 Posts
ihojeff said:
Here are some pics of my patent pending welding cart. 4 wheel independent suspension, welder sits on a turntable, cart holds most everything you need for fabricating. Handle can be swapped out for hitch type mount to be towed behind ATV's. Several other features. If you fabricate outside your shop than this cart is for you. If I ever get some free time I plan on building a few more prototypes with some minor design changes before taking out to manufactures for production estimates. These carts are kickass and someday I hope most of you will agree. I can't wait to start this business as wrenching on rigs is strating to get old.

Jeff
To cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :smokin: :smokin: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Since i used this thread as a reference, might as well post a picture of the one I built. Still needs some pdiamond plate on the shelves, but it will hold my Hobart 180 and a future Cutmaster 38.

·
Registered
568 Posts
any updates on that last one?

:grinpimp: Theres a lot of sweet carts out there, sure made glad I didnt bother with the miller piece of junk when I can build me a nicer one for cheap. :smokin:

·
Registered
837 Posts
fj40guy said:

Where is the cooler?

I started building a big ol' large cooler. TIG buddy mentioned "na, just use a 5 gallon bucket of water, all you need". Yep, I wore out long before the water got warm at all. Found a aluminum cylinder about the same size as the tank (7.5" diameter) to use as a "high tech" water bucket. :)

In my case big ol' old Hobart TIG welder (250Amp) that weighs around 400 pounds (big copper windings), so added a bottle rack to the back of it.

Only thing I'd do different... room for a SECOND Argon tank (for back purging).

Homemade cooler? I'd like to see some pics and specs on that. I'm still running an air cooled torch. Which is good and bad. It sucks because I have to stop so much to let the torch cool. it's nice because I have to stop so much and drink adult beverages :cool:

I want to get a water cooled torch, but I just can't justify the expense (it's a hobby for me, so having to stop and let the torch cool doesn't cost me money). A cooler is around $500, so if I could make my own, I'd only have to get the torch.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
LazyDog said:
Homemade cooler? I'd like to see some pics and specs on that. I'm still running an air cooled torch. Which is good and bad. It sucks because I have to stop so much to let the torch cool. it's nice because I have to stop so much and drink adult beverages :cool:

I want to get a water cooled torch, but I just can't justify the expense (it's a hobby for me, so having to stop and let the torch cool doesn't cost me money). A cooler is around $500, so if I could make my own, I'd only have to get the torch.
I did post a pic of the pump and bucket in the past. Nothing fancy at all, but was a electric pump (perhaps 1/4 hp) with a water pump (circulating pump). Both were surplus scrap items. Pump had 1/4" fittings, so was "about the right size". Just sucks water out of a bucket, where the return dumps back into that. Nothing fancy at all.

I had originally thought I needed a fan, radiator, etc. Nope. Bucket of water never got above 10F (if that). Machine is rated at 200 Amp, 60% duty cycle, but like you mentioned I needed a break more often than the pump.

I'll get around to something that looks nicer, but too many other projects to work on first.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts