Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting started on a build. I was wondering if you guys could answer some things for me. I am going to build a honda transaxle buggy and was wondering if I need to lock the trans somehow to get awd? Also when you run your drive shaft from the Honda trans to the diff say 4.10 gears would that make the 4.10 gearing much lower than say running my toyota in 4 hi. I would like this buggy to be able to haul some butt or at least keep up with a rzr.
Thanks any info would be awesome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to weld the spider gears to use the transaxle as a trans/transfer case.
What size tires?
The final drive ratio H22 trans is about 4.062 to 1 so multiply that by whatever gears youre running in the axles.
It will be a mini buggy not much bigger than a rzr 4. I will be running 30x9.5 tires on it. The buggy will see most of its time in the open desert. On the other hand i want the awd for the mountains.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It will be a mini buggy not much bigger than a rzr 4. I will be running 30x9.5 tires on it. The buggy will see most of its time in the open desert. On the other hand i want the awd for the mountains.
Get a MFactory helical limited slip diff if you want to keep AWD. I don't know if it fits the auto or not, you'd have to call them. Helical LSD

You can try the OBX, but quality has supposedly gone down the drain and price has gone up. They're $500 vs the Mf being $700.

Change the transmission filter while you have the case split, it's the only chance you get. Stupid design if you ask me. The rest of the trans is pretty cool, they are an automated manual transmission using clutchpacks instead of synchros and shift collars. Not like your usual planetary gear auto trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info you guys. It sounds a little unrealistic to get good speed out of a honda trans/transfercase buggy. Any other ideas for me? Fabrication is no issue i have acess to laser cutters, flowjet machines, and I also run a small fab shop part time.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Get a MFactory helical limited slip diff if you want to keep AWD. I don't know if it fits the auto or not, you'd have to call them. Helical LSD

You can try the OBX, but quality has supposedly gone down the drain and price has gone up. They're $500 vs the Mf being $700.

Change the transmission filter while you have the case split, it's the only chance you get. Stupid design if you ask me. The rest of the trans is pretty cool, they are an automated manual transmission using clutchpacks instead of synchros and shift collars. Not like your usual planetary gear auto trans.
:shaking::shaking::shaking:

Have you built a honda powered buggy with a limited slip in the trans? Im gonna throw this out there ....because I know a guy who built a honda buggy once or twice :flipoff2:.... and he is pretty sure that a limited slip would be a fail....

Transmission filter.....:confused: You lost me there..... never seen one in my 19 years honda experience.....:D

To the original poster.... you are gonna want a 3.00-1 axle ratio or even numeriacally smaller( 2.56 to 1 )to maybe see 70 mph with a 30" tire...

visualize a jeep with a 4:1 tcase with no high range...thats what youll be looking at to get a decent top speed...granted the auto and manual trannys are over driven about 30%,but the short tire isnt your friend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts