Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I want one. The JKUR I built for my wife is fun to wheel, but if I drive it like I want to, I'll probably break it in half. It's a great family camping/exploration rig, but it's no U4. :laughing: I have zero time to build a buggy and hate buying used stuff that needs a pile of work before its reliable. So I'm at a crossroads.......

Local dealer has a few 2019 2 seater leftovers they are willing to part with at what I consider a reasonable price. I have a low milage/hours 2016 KTM 350 EXC-F with both a dirt and supermoto wheel setup I'm thinking about trading in. I have used the bike 1 time in the last year, so I'm thinking it time for it to go.

Plan would to be leave the Talon mostly stock, add 30-31" tires, beadlock wheels and possibly build a real cage for it. Would be used at the local offroad parks like Hot Springs, Barnwell Mtn, Disney ect. May also attempt to enter it in local SxS races once I own it for a while. The racing itch came back a few years ago and I have been ignoring it hoping that it would go away. Most of you know how that goes.... A stock class SxS seems like a reasonable way to get back into racing.

Am I crazy?

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Just bought a 4 seater for most of the same reasons.

I say do it, but mines in the shop with a list of problems at ~150 miles, so I'm not sure how I feel about the purchase yet.

If I could have got a 2 seater, I would have taken a much harder look at the textron xx. Especially if you are thinking about racing.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your sort of the reason for this thread. Looked like you were having to much fun...... :flipoff2:

What problems is yours in the shop for?

That Textron XX is fugly. No matter how bad ass it might be, I would not be caught dead in it. :barf:

The only reason I'm even considering a SxS is the price of this particular one and the fact that it's a Honda. If I were to go all in on a SxS purchase it would be a Can-Am X3. I'm not looking to spend $28k but at $17k I'm very intrested in one.

I was also thinking 30-31" tires. Not sure where I came up with 33's.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Your sort of the reason for this thread. Looked like you were having to much fun...... :flipoff2:

What problems is yours in the shop for?

That Textron XX is fugly. No matter how bad ass it might be, I would not be caught dead in it. :barf:

The only reason I'm even considering a SxS is the price of this particular one and the fact that it's a Honda. If I were to go all in on a SxS purchase it would be a Can-Am X3. I'm not looking to spend $28k but at $17k I'm very intrested in one.

I was also thinking 30-31" tires. Not sure where I came up with 33's.
You're welcome :flipoff2:

The biggest issue is that it had issues grinding in low, which I believe may have damaged something, because now it will engage fine, but has popped out a few times. (it's a problem with the shift gate design imo)

The "I4wd" isn't working correctly (sounds like it may just be a loose connection or bad switch/sensor)

Rear diff has a leak (pretty lame, but shit happens)

Textron isn't my favorite looking, but they had them at the dealer I got my Talon and they do look better in person. I think some fender trimming and a bumper would make a huge difference.

130 hp na Yamaha 3 cyl, basically scaled down class 1 buggy suspension, race legal cage stock, ect.

I thought I liked the x3s also, but the more I looked into them, I'm not so sure. The biggest thing is they are massive, the 2 seater is only 10" shorter wb than my 4 seat talon. The 4 seater is just dumb at 135" :barf:

·
Insurance poor
10,056 Posts
I have said it a few times, switching from a decent built Jeep (CJ5 locked on 38s), to a sxs (800 Rzrs) was one of the best decisions we made. It was easier to transport, easier to drive (wife Loved driving the rzr), less breakage and overall just more fun. It would do about 70-80% of what the Jeep could do, but it would do it better and faster. :smokin:

I never got a chance to take it to barnwell, but I think it would give that place hell. I know it would struggle a bit there too. :eek: My buddy has taken his wildcat to Disney a few times and loves it. It’s just so much easier to deal with than a full size rig. If ours wasn’t stolen, I would still be trashing on it or even upgraded by now.

·
Insurance poor
10,056 Posts
The down side is, anyone not in a side by side will hate you, even your friends and everyone here. :(

·
Insurance poor
10,056 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
The down side is, anyone not in a side by side will hate you, even your friends and everyone here. :(

It’s a toss up between Toyota guys and SxS!!!!!

Or toss off!!!!
:flipoff2:

Went to the snow jam yesterday...... which is basically just a traffic jam on logging roads!!!! Toyota’s and SxS’s riding in the fucking ditches to pass!!!!
I wouldn’t expect less!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
It’s a toss up between Toyota guys and SxS!!!!!

Or toss off!!!!
:flipoff2:

Went to the snow jam yesterday...... which is basically just a traffic jam on logging roads!!!! Toyota’s and SxS’s riding in the fucking ditches to pass!!!!
I wouldn’t expect less!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh

Sounds like the jeeps were doing what they do best, being trail tampons. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Truth.

The dirt bike guys give you shit.

Jeepers are just as queer as ever.

Toyota guys scoff at it not being a Toyota.

Pirate members are just jealous, because you can do almost as much as their custom built piles sitting on 40's from the factory. :flipoff2:

The only people that have no beef are ATV guys. :laughing:

There are days down in WV where we put in 100-125 miles a day. Doing that on ATV left us feeling as if we'd been run over by a bus. The SXS is like riding in a car all day on pavement. Unless you're running an Ultra4 car, not much can compare to a SXS. Running down a trail at 40mph or navigating tight trails at decent rate of speed would leave most built trail rigs in the dust. But, each have their uniqueness.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think I want one. The JKUR I built for my wife is fun to wheel, but if I drive it like I want to, I'll probably break it in half. It's a great family camping/exploration rig, but it's no U4. :laughing: I have zero time to build a buggy and hate buying used stuff that needs a pile of work before its reliable. So I'm at a crossroads.......

Local dealer has a few 2019 2 seater leftovers they are willing to part with at what I consider a reasonable price. I have a low milage/hours 2016 KTM 350 EXC-F with both a dirt and supermoto wheel setup I'm thinking about trading in. I have used the bike 1 time in the last year, so I'm thinking it time for it to go.

Plan would to be leave the Talon mostly stock, add 30-31" tires, beadlock wheels and possibly build a real cage for it. Would be used at the local offroad parks like Hot Springs, Barnwell Mtn, Disney ect. May also attempt to enter it in local SxS races once I own it for a while. The racing itch came back a few years ago and I have been ignoring it hoping that it would go away. Most of you know how that goes.... A stock class SxS seems like a reasonable way to get back into racing.

Am I crazy?
Is a YXZ out of the question?

Find a volume dealer. We have a Yamaha volume dealer who sells at stupid low prices. There's a Honda dealer in State College, too. They typically sell $4,000-$5,000 less than anyone else.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are days down in WV where we put in 100-125 miles a day. Doing that on ATV left us feeling as if we'd been run over by a bus. The SXS is like riding in a car all day on pavement. Unless you're running an Ultra4 car, not much can compare to a SXS. Running down a trail at 40mph or navigating tight trails at decent rate of speed would leave most built trail rigs in the dust. But, each have their uniqueness.
Exactly why I want one. I dont see a U4 in my future, and I'm starting to drive my wifes JKUR like one. It's not going to last very long if I keep doing that. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is a YXZ out of the question?

Find a volume dealer. We have a Yamaha volume dealer who sells at stupid low prices. There's a Honda dealer in State College, too. They typically sell $4,000-$5,000 less than anyone else.

None of them are really out of the question, although I have no use for a CVT transmission and want low range. I chose the Honda for a few different reasons, price and Honda quality being the biggest factors. I can get a leftover 19 at the local dealer for $16,900 plus tax. Everything else in that category, that is localish $20,000 and up. I'm going to put wheels/tires and a winch on whatever I buy, so I may as well start with the more affordable option and go from there.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
None of them are really out of the question, although I have no use for a CVT transmission and want low range. I chose the Honda for a few different reasons, price and Honda quality being the biggest factors. I can get a leftover 19 at the local dealer for $16,900 plus tax. Everything else in that category, that is localish $20,000 and up. I'm going to put wheels/tires and a winch on whatever I buy, so I may as well start with the more affordable option and go from there.
Same reasons I ended up at the honda. I like that Yamaha broke the mold of the cvt in a sxs. I don't get why they didn't put a low range. One of the biggest sellers of a sxs is versatility. It's machine that gets used in every terrain. When's the last time you say a dirt bike or sport quad at one of those big dumb mud events? Or a 4x4 quad in the dunes?

Also, I love the paddle shifters, but it is very nice to just throw it in auto and cruise. Having to shift the Yamaha could get old at times.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I already hate the OP for thinking about it.

Doesnt matter if I was at a local park or KOH. Some dipshit with a credit card would get twisted up, burn a belt, etc and then it was a benny hill production for the next hour.

If you lived in an area where its street legal, then I could see the advantage.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I stopped at a Honda dealer in Dallas today to look at one in person and sit in it. They had 2 leftover 2019's on the floor. Both internet priced at 18,699. Both had extras on them & sales guy said that added to the price listed........ huh? Doesnt say or show that shit in the ad. Another local dealer (that's not open today) has 2 of them advertised for 16,999.

First one had an aluminum HRC front bumper & HRC full metal doors. Second one had a HRC metal front bumper, HRC winch and some gay ass lightbar on the roof. I told the sales guy I'd pay the 18,699 if they throw the winch on the one with the full doors & aluminum bumper. I'm going to send them pics of my bike when I get home and see what #'s they come up with.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I stopped at a Honda dealer in Dallas today to look at one in person and sit in it. They had 2 leftover 2019's on the floor. Both internet priced at 18,699. Both had extras on them & sales guy said that added to the price listed........ huh? Doesnt say or show that shit in the ad. Another local dealer (that's not open today) has 2 of them advertised for 16,999.

First one had an aluminum HRC front bumper & HRC full metal doors. Second one had a HRC metal front bumper, HRC winch and some gay ass lightbar on the roof. I told the sales guy I'd pay the 18,699 if they throw the winch on the one with the full doors & aluminum bumper. I'm going to send them pics of my bike when I get home and see what #'s they come up with.
Lightbars are really nice. These sit fairly low and the lights get covered in mud, dust, and are pretty much useless night riding if you ride in a group.

They've designed lower gearing for the YXZ, hence why I mentioned it. But, we can get those here for about $15,500+tax. My Yamaha Wolverine replaced a Honda Rancher that I trail rode. Never expected to get into hard trail riding, and I liked the driveshaft and shifting, but putting the machine in low or high and going is nice for when you just want to ride carefree. Plus, the Wolverine was only $13,300+tax, so that was a no brainer...and it has a locked rear axle AND diff lock.

Shifting a YXZ does look like fun, though. Seen a few run KOH, too. Those Honda Talons look good, but I'm not sold on Honda SXS's yet. Feel like they have some stuff to work out.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts