Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a build by pirate standards, but pretty extreme by sxs and jk "build" standards :flipoff2: I will try to update this with whatever changes I make. I don't see much on talons in serious snow or on tracks, so hopefully I can provide some useful information.

After loosing my 1 ton 4runner on 40s in the fire in 2018 I had to get another toy to go play in the snow. A few of my buddies have rzr's with tracks, but I've never been a big Polaris fan. So after some research, I picked up a talon and some tracks :D

Last night was the first trip on the tracks, man it's a blast. You can go places that guys even on huge 54s can't dream of.

I will say the trans isn't super happy in the snow in auto or sport mode. It likes to jump back and forth between gears. I found using manual mode when really mashing worked better. I haven't got to ride in another rig yet, but I do wonder if the cvt may have a slight advantage here. It's what's snow mobiles use after all. Either way, it's an all season machine for us, so I'm still glad I went honda, I didn't want a rubber band trans.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Only Pic I have of it on the 32s, only ran one tank on the stock 28s. I had the 32s from a wanna be sxs project, so I figured why not.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/2676146-some-kind-wannabe-sxs-build-side-sidekick.html

I'll put the 28s on it and keep using it as a mobile wood shed, lol.

So as of now, the list of changes that I have done, am doing or will do is the following:

32x10x15 carnivores - done on stock wheels for now, I like the sti HD A1s in all black, and may put the 32s on a set come spring/summer. Also tossing the idea of putting some cheap LT's (235s, 30x9.5s or 31x10.5s) on the stock wheels for messing around my neighborhood (pavement, dirt roads and easy trails)

Tracks for deep snow - done

Honda glass windshield with wiper, hard rear windshield, and soft upper doors - all done. Enclosure is very nice. Windshield needs some work to seal. I may try to seal up some of the gaps in the stock doors to minimize drafts as well. Doors aren't too bad, but there is a lot of holes in the firewall. I have some 1/8" neoprene I'm going to use to cover as much as I can.

Inferno heater - installed, works great. Ordered rear vent kit also.

Front 6k viper wide drum winch, kfi mount, real viper 4.5k narrow drum winch, super atv receiver that I will Fab the mount off of, 2nd battery with my own mount - on order from fueledutv.com (check them out, 86chevyjoe works there and hooked me up good) . Front winch is done, rear is mounted, might redo it with more protection.

Rear bench for our 3 kids - no one makes one yet, bs sand and prp are supposed to release one soon.

Fab my own bumpers, rock sliders(nerf bars) and possibly add x or v bracing to the stock cage- I have some 1 3/4x120, 1 1/2x120 and some 1 1/2x090. Not sure what I'll use, definitely want to keep weight down. Maybe 090 for the bumpers and 120 for the Sliders.

Reverse lights - got some 10w single led pods off Amazon and a reverse light wire kit from the honda sxs club. Done

Dome light - rampage $14 Amazon special, uses 3 aaa's

RAMPAGE PRODUCTS 769801 Universal Roll Bar Mount for LED Light, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046KIABG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_l7UdEb95ABPNB

Installed, great unit for the price.

Mirror/light combo - have a $99 pair of xprite rand ones in my Amazon cart, but I wanted to see what the glass windshield and soft doors looked like first

Some type of aux light for the bumper or roof - trying to do some research and find something that will stay warm enough to prevent snow and ice build up. The tracks fling snow forward and cover the stock headlights in no time. I'm thinking either some 4" hid or possibly a 4" single high power led might do it. Something I can add amber lenses too also would be nice for when it's snowing.

Heated seats/seat covers - haven't looked into this much. I thought just some covers would be nice so I could ditch them in the summer, but having heaters installed into the stock seats would probably be better.

Snow screen for air filter - I've seen videos of sxs's getting the air filter completely plugged with snow. No idea yet how the talon design will work in dusty snow conditions

Storage - using one of those stackable black totes with the yellow lids now. I also have a pair that are half the size and nest into the lid next to each other. The plan is that I can bring any combination of one, two or all 3, depending on the trip. I'm not a fan of how the lid can collect snow and water, but I already had them. Also got these dry bags, thanks to a post on here

Acrodo Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag - 15 Liter Floating Rolltop Dry Backpack for Kayaking, Water Resistant Pouch for Beach, Boating, Camping, Swimming & Fishing, Perfect Outdoors Gift https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3M1P7H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DrVdEbQHT9YHM

Got these, they are great. I may order a larger one as well.

I think that's all I have in mind for now. It will mostly be aimed for deep snow adventures for now. Once the snow melts, I'll definitely be looking at a full skid set and a few other things.

I have even tossed the idea of a small lightweight trailer to tow into base camp and drop. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Spare tire and carrier?

Keeping the weight down on these machines is tough. I remember seeing an overall weight limit on my Yamaha, but fuck if I can remember what it was.

I know they're expensive, but I highly suggest buying factory storage containers for the beds. They soak up all the available room, and can carry a TON of stuff. Most are also waterproof.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Tusk has seat heater kits cheap.... I bought them for my Teryx4 front seats last year but they haven’t made it out from under my desk..... cause I’m a lazy bitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spare tire and carrier?

Keeping the weight down on these machines is tough. I remember seeing an overall weight limit on my Yamaha, but fuck if I can remember what it was.

I know they're expensive, but I highly suggest buying factory storage containers for the beds. They soak up all the available room, and can carry a TON of stuff. Most are also waterproof.
Knock on wood, I haven't carried a spare in years. Just a plug kit.

Yes, none of the stuff is that heavy, but it all adds up.

The honda one is $550!! :eek: I can buy like 55 totes like mine for that :flipoff2: after have to put a healthy chunk down, the tracks and all the extra stuff I've added, if my wife hadn't cut me off already, I would. I'll make the totes I have work. I got some good ideas, including the dry bag link, from this thread.

https://hondasxs.com/threads/share-your-storage-options-talon.17180/

For whatever reason there are a few options that fit really well. I'm not opposed to having a gap in the back anyway to throw straps and soft shackles.

Also, some of the things I've seen people do to SXS's are on par with Pirate standards. :laughing:

Check this out: https://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/50-yamaha-wolverine-s-sale/27790-2017-yamaha-wolverine-rspec-buggy.html

So, you can do some crazy shit these. Well, if there's enough steel available fo mounting.
Absolutely, I really enjoyed the old timer build :flipoff2:

Tusk has seat heater kits cheap.... I bought them for my Teryx4 front seats last year but they haven’t made it out from under my desk..... cause I’m a lazy bitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, those look great for the price. I've seen similar kits before. I'll admit, I'm a little scared to take the covers off myself. There is a really good Upholstery shop near by that I had redo my seat in my 97 F350, I'm sure he would do it in no time.

This brings up another question. What's the limitation of the charging system on these machines? Winch, lights, wiper, heater, seat heaters, the additional stuff is starting to add up. I added another battery, but that doesn't help with a constant draw, just high loads for a short time like winching.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I answered my own question on the charging system. They rate it at 0.7kw :rolleyes: so roughly 55 amps.

So not far off of a typical suv 90s suv, but with less factory electrical.

Got my heater in. You can Google install write ups, but I made some observations. I copied and pasted 2 separate posts from another forum, so hopefully it makes sense. :flipoff2:

Apparently the heater mounts where honda puts the washer fluid tank. There is a thread on honda sxs club where they came out with a different location. Personally, I don't like the secondary location, I feel like it may be too exposed to snow or water intake. I haven't received my wiper kit yet, but my plan is to relocate the washer fluid, or just not install it for now. Not to mention, the heater core location in the original post is where my 2nd battery will be. Apparently a lot of things want to occupy the same space.

Be careful where you place your floor vents, the passenger side is almost to close to the wiring loom right there. I put it too far forward.

When removing my skid plates, I still had snow chunks pack from playing yesterday. Got me thinking about people saying that it doesn't put out great heat at idle. In my 4 seater, it's a pretty long run from front to back, I'm wondering if that's part of the reason the heat isn't great at idle. Before I install the hot side hose, I'm going to get some pipe insulation or at least another length of heater hose to try and retain heat on that long run from the engine all the way to the front of the machine.

Like I mentioned, I added some simple 3/4" pipe insulation to the hot line, one 6' piece worked perfectly on my 4 seater from about fire wall to firewall.

I thought it would be easier to to feed the hose in, then feed the insulation in over it. I stuck the insulation together at the seam, poured a ton of baby powder inside and tapped a long bolt in the end of the heater hose to help it slide through. You can also use this method of you want to add insulation to your current setup by just taking one end off. I think trying to slide the insulation over the pipe through the seam would be a pain.

Plenty of room for it.

I'm not sure if it will help, but when my skid plate is all full of snow, it's gotta loose some heat.

Tried it out a little also, the air flow is damn good for the size of the fan and core. It does get slightly less hot at idle, but still very warm. :D

I got the reverse lights installed using the honda sxs club reverse trigger and some simple single 10w led pods from Amazon. The harness is very nice, factory quality. It uses the ground to trigger so I just connected the hot to the battery instead of running a lead all the way up to the front and finding a key on lead. I'm going to add a 5 Amp fuse just off the battery in case the wire grounds out.

I'll post some pics later of the lights and how I used the stock bed bolts to mount them.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuck you honda, $300 for your stupid switch panel that's "required" for the wiper kit, and it does come with everything I need? Accessory sub harness sold separately?

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I guess it's not just the washer bottle that is fighting with the heater core, it's the windshield wiper it's self :mad3:

Gotta love bolt together stuff that doesn't bolt together :laughing:

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congratulations on coming out. I admire your bravery. You and overbear will make a cute couple.
How much shit for the jeep has just bolted on? :flipoff2:

I don't mind fabin' up shit, but it's frustrating when you buy something that is supposed to drop right in and it doesn't.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After spending $300 on the honda switch plate, waiting a week and a half for it, then find out I needed a $55 "sub harness" and $50 worth of pig tails. And then for over $400 it doesn't incorporate a fuse block, so each accessory needs its own in line type ghetto fuse. It's going back. Oh and top of all that, they sold me a 2 seat kit, so it doesn't have enough wire to reach the battery.

Ordered everything I need to build my own off Amazon for $150 and that's including some bulk wire and connectors.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So my plan is to use the rear receiver mount as a rear winch mount since no body makes a rear winch mount for a talon.

After mockup, I don't think 1 1/2" between the muffler and the winch rope is going to work.

A few options

Cut 2" receiver off and leave the safety chain plate, lowering the winch 2".

Change stock muffler out for something else.

Make a mount that slides into the receiver.

·
Registered
194 Posts
wrap the stock muffler with exhaust wrap, then hold a heat shield in place with hose clamps around the whole thing. i know its not very descriptive but i hope that makes sense

fwiw. with two kids 14mo apart and the youngest just now a year, made no time for wrenching on the jeep. i missed one too many trips, considered paying a local shop to work on the jeep but couldn't, and bought a rzr xp1000 no turbo. local shop had one listed at 15,900 which is used price around here so i jumped on it. and holy shit its fun, just got back from new years in Glamis (24hr drive from Wa sucked...) aint' what my buddies x3 xrs turbo blah blah is around Gorden Wells, but i made a stop in North Glamis and hit some places he wouldn't fit and its perfect for here in NW Wa and half the price of that can am. not to mention, it felt great to bring it back to the dealership after snaping an axle when landing on the throttle. oops. warranty covered it (only had 20miles on it but had to send it!). its only been a month but now over 500miles of ear to ear grinning, drive it like you stole it, fun. and only one warranty covered break down. if i go full retard insurance covers it. yep a jeep and a rzr, and i suck at writing, dont care

look forward to seeing updates. i bought solely on price, but now that the wife has also taken to the rzr and daily rides around our place and the neighbors farm with the kids i think i might be looking at 4 seats sooner than later. she wont drive the jeep.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Got impatient waiting for the battery mount so I made my own.

Swiss cheesed it

Man doing wiring clean is a slow process. I have an 80 amp relay powering both fuse blocks, the more square one is for whatever that doesn't need a switch (cig lighter, winch remote, ect) the long one has all the wires prerouted to the switch panel inside so when I add things in the future it's just a matter of connecting the hot side to the this fuse block. A lot of work for nothing I have yet, but will be well worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wrap the stock muffler with exhaust wrap, then hold a heat shield in place with hose clamps around the whole thing. i know its not very descriptive but i hope that makes sense

fwiw. with two kids 14mo apart and the youngest just now a year, made no time for wrenching on the jeep. i missed one too many trips, considered paying a local shop to work on the jeep but couldn't, and bought a rzr xp1000 no turbo. local shop had one listed at 15,900 which is used price around here so i jumped on it. and holy shit its fun, just got back from new years in Glamis (24hr drive from Wa sucked...) aint' what my buddies x3 xrs turbo blah blah is around Gorden Wells, but i made a stop in North Glamis and hit some places he wouldn't fit and its perfect for here in NW Wa and half the price of that can am. not to mention, it felt great to bring it back to the dealership after snaping an axle when landing on the throttle. oops. warranty covered it (only had 20miles on it but had to send it!). its only been a month but now over 500miles of ear to ear grinning, drive it like you stole it, fun. and only one warranty covered break down. if i go full retard insurance covers it. yep a jeep and a rzr, and i suck at writing, dont care

look forward to seeing updates. i bought solely on price, but now that the wife has also taken to the rzr and daily rides around our place and the neighbors farm with the kids i think i might be looking at 4 seats sooner than later. she wont drive the jeep.
It actually has a heat shield hose clamped to it on top, along with one mounted to the body. I thought about rotating it down, but I'm not sure if it will get to hot on top. Also thought about just buying a round magna flow type muffler to replace the stock one. 4-5" Dia instead of like 8" :laughing:

The heat wrap is a good idea also. I had thought of that too.

Right now I just finished up all the wiring in the front so I can move onto the glass window and soft upper door install. I didn't want to mount the windshield until I knew I was done in the cowel area, because you can remove the cowel piece with the windshield one :homer:

Funny you say that. We have 2 boys 14 months apart and the youngest just turned a year. (10/2/17 and 12/10/18) :grinpimp:

But to top it off we have a 7 yr old boy also :laughing:

Time is definitely the hardest thing to come by. Luckily the 2 little ones enjoy time in the garage, I just don't like doing a whole lot of grinding or welding when they're in there, for obvious reasons. The 7 year old is hit and miss with it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts