Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
That's a new one. I pretty much can't handle those sxs forums anymore, especially the honda sxs club, jusus H.

So I feel like everything with these machines is a choice between: leave it alone so I don't void warranty or fix it right so I hopefully don't have to fuck with a warranty.

I wouldn't be surprised that the driveshafts would have issues, all the gearing is in the transmission, the r&p is like 3.10

I'm pretty sure that with the build I have planned my warranty is going to be voided. I knew that was going to be the case going in, that's why I played the dealer games and got mine well below MSRP. I've never had a racecar with a warranty, and in my eyes this is no different.

Only reason I joined the SxS club is because there are a few Honda tech's that post on there. Once I get going with my build I'm going to have questions only those guys would have answers to.

I mentioned tack welding the caps on that forum when sombody posted pics of their torn up driveshaft. I got ZERO responses to that comment.... :laughing: I guess their all just going to wait until it happens and let Honda take care of it under warranty. Fuck that! I dont want to deal with that problem at all, so I'll be solving it myself.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:................ :flipoff2:

I don't even see where you saw that, but I'll take your work for it. It would make sense that they wouldn't change it from the pioneer. Which is good news, because maybe that means I can swap just the front diff in to get rid of the :rainbow: I4wd.

It says the number of teeth when you go to the description for the ring and pinion gear. You fawkin blind??? ............ :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure that with the build I have planned my warranty is going to be voided. I knew that was going to be the case going in, that's why I played the dealer games and got mine well below MSRP. I've never had a racecar with a warranty, and in my eyes this is no different.

Only reason I joined the SxS club is because there are a few Honda tech's that post on there. Once I get going with my build I'm going to have questions only those guys would have answers to.

I mentioned tack welding the caps on that forum when sombody posted pics of their torn up driveshaft. I got ZERO responses to that comment.... :laughing: I guess their all just going to wait until it happens and let Honda take care of it under warranty. Fuck that! I dont want to deal with that problem at all, so I'll be solving it myself.
Ya, I agree. I'm really only worried about the warranty for engine, transmission, and electronics. Anything else I'll fix/upgrade myself. Honestly even the sub trans I may dive into if it was issues again. I actually thought about beveling the shift dogs myself having a 3 tooth piece with sharp 90* edges is a poor design imo. I have shifted my toyota crawl box while moving 100s of times without causing it to pop out. These are infinitely more fragile.

Ya, I still go there for a handful of guys. There are about 3 or 4 that actually know what they're talking about.

I'm surprised they all didn't freak out. It's funny how all the pioneer guys will pile onto a thread about a talon, when probably 90% of them have never even driven one.

Also, I think you posted in the shift gate thread, I pm'd that guys who was 3d printing them and he said he wanted to wait until he got feed back incase there was an issue. Could be because he doesn't want to remake a ton of them or maybe it's because they all hate me on there :laughing: I'd like to have one machined out of delrin or uhmw. Well, could probably just have one water or laser cut and hit it with a router to bevel the edges.

It says the number of teeth when you go to the description for the ring and pinion gear. You fawkin blind??? ............ :flipoff2:
Maybe, or maybe I didn't look that hard :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
The guy that is 3D printing the shift gates sold me one. It must be you! :laughing:

Seriously though..... PM PaulF with your PayPal info and tell him you want to get in line to have one made. That's what I did a few days ago. He said it will be a few weeks.

On a side note.... Hess Motorsports called yesterday and told me the 2-1 steering quickener I pre-ordered a few weeks ago is finished and I'll have it today. The parts and pieces are slowly rolling in.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The guy that is 3D printing the shift gates sold me one. It must be you! :laughing:

Seriously though..... PM PaulF with your PayPal info and tell him you want to get in line to have one made. That's what I did a few days ago. He said it will be a few weeks.

On a side note.... Hess Motorsports called yesterday and told me the 2-1 steering quickener I pre-ordered a few weeks ago is finished and I'll have it today. The parts and pieces are slowly rolling in.
:laughing:

I did, he told me a few weeks also. Like I said, I may just make my own. Of course I just remembered I haven't replaced the router yet, so may not.

2:1? Dang that will be fast, what is lock to lock on the R stock?

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:................ :flipoff2:

I don't even see where you saw that, but I'll take your work for it. It would make sense that they wouldn't change it from the pioneer. Which is good news, because maybe that means I can swap just the front diff in to get rid of the :rainbow: I4wd.
its a parts diagram with part numbers for the front diff of the honda talon 1000x-4
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/41531-HL4-A00
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/41521-HL6-A00

and i do find that same part number listed for pioneers too so it indeed looks like they share the same parts(which does make sense) unless its a listing error(i found it on another site labeled as talon parts too though soi its not just a single source)

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
its a parts diagram with part numbers for the front diff of the honda talon 1000x-4
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/41531-HL4-A00
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/41521-HL6-A00

and i do find that same part number listed for pioneers too so it indeed looks like they share the same parts(which does make sense) unless its a listing error(i found it on another site labeled as talon parts too though soi its not just a single source)
I got the 3.30 from another forum. It really doesn't make sense that they would only change it that little unless it was a whole new diff. I think a lot of of the parts are interchangeable. I mean it's basically the same engine, trans and sub trans, it would make sense that the diffs would be very similar.

Anyway :flipoff2:

Ive been getting it ready for this weekends forecasted 4-6' of snow.

Also, a you tube video reminded of an old trick. Spray your rig down with wd40 to keep mud from sticking. I avoid it like the plague, but a lot of times the road to the snow is all fucked up with mud.

We'll see if it helps, sure looks gay all shiny. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
does it fit in the dump trailer?
:laughing:

No, I don't think it would, not with the gates shut at least.

It actually fits about perfectly on the 16' trailer I got from 2big bronco. With the tracks on its got about 1 1/2" on each side and about 6" in front and behind.

We're going to go up tomorrow. I'll take 1 or 2 kids and the wife is going to chase in the 4runner. It won't be anything crazy, there isn't going to be much snow yet anyway but the kids haven't rode in it with the tracks, so I figured they'd like it. I recently finished a long project winch bumper. Pretty happy with it, I may add some brush guard type tubes also. I also wasn't really happy with the color, the can looked way darker :laughing:

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Went for a short little rip. Nowhere near enough snow to test the tracks, but I did pull a full size Chevy up a hill. :D

Thing definitely loads snow on the back :laughing:

Support vehicle

Wife got some shots while I was pulling the kid in the sled, it was damn near white out by the time we left.

The one issue I was having was the power steering. I'm not sure if the honda just used a weak system or what. Had it throw the light and shut off a bunch of times. Meanwhile I'm using minimal force with 1 hand 90% of the time. I have a hard time believing its overheating when it's completely packed with snow.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
That looks like LOTS of fun!

Try putting dielectric grease in the P/S connectors before you go out next time and see of that solves anything. Or maybe those tracks create a ton of turning resistance and heat up the electric power steering motor. I could sort of see how they would..... Or your pulling to many amps from the electrical system with the wiper, lights, heater ect all going at the same time and it turns off the P/S when the amps get to low. :confused:

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
That looks like LOTS of fun!

Try putting dielectric grease in the P/S connectors before you go out next time and see of that solves anything. Or maybe those tracks create a ton of turning resistance and heat up the electric power steering motor. I could sort of see how they would..... Or your pulling to many amps from the electrical system with the wiper, lights, heater ect all going at the same time and it turns off the P/S when the amps get to low. :confused:
It was fun, should have just ran tires, but oh well. Supposed to get snow all week so I'll be able to actually pit the tracks to the test at some point.

They definitely do not want to turn as easy as regular tires. I don't try to turn when I'm not moving and am generally easy on it. I didn't have this problem the first time out, which was a waaay longer trip and 10 times more "extreme" than today. It happened at least half a dozen times today. Like I said, I can't it getting hot, it's literally completely covered in snow. It also would do it kinda randomly, sometimes very quickly after it had been parked for a while.

However, I did not have any electric accessories the first trip. The only additional things would be wiper and heater, but I also added an additional battery that the accessories are tired to. I have a volt meter and it's never below 13.5v that I've seen, usually over 14v. It's going to piss me off if that's the case. I'll have to ask, but I don't think any of my buddies rzr's have had this issue.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The one issue I was having was the power steering. I'm not sure if the honda just used a weak system or what. Had it throw the light and shut off a bunch of times. Meanwhile I'm using minimal force with 1 hand 90% of the time. I have a hard time believing its overheating when it's completely packed with snow.
Usually they end up tripping the failsafe for the power steering during a high torque load situation, it tends to happen during very low speed maneuvers or getting jammed up it a rut. The tracks tend to cause it more frequently when the angle of attack is set up for more high speed stability. What do you have the tracks set at? Don't use the built in level, set the top of the rear wheel to 12.5" and you should be fine.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Usually they end up tripping the failsafe for the power steering during a high torque load situation, it tends to happen during very low speed maneuvers or getting jammed up it a rut. The tracks tend to cause it more frequently when the angle of attack is set up for more high speed stability. What do you have the tracks set at? Don't use the built in level, set the top of the rear wheel to 12.5" and you should be fine.
I'm thinking maybe the snow conditions had a lot to do with it. It was ~2' of rock hard snow with 6-8" of powder on top, basically hiding all the ruts and whatnot. I didn't have any issue the first time out with the tracks.

Are you saying to to roll the track forward so it's running on the crown? That would definitely make the steering easier, not sure if it would hurt flotation or climbing out of creek crossings.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm thinking maybe the snow conditions had a lot to do with it. It was ~2' of rock hard snow with 6-8" of powder on top, basically hiding all the ruts and whatnot. I didn't have any issue the first time out with the tracks.

Are you saying to to roll the track forward so it's running on the crown? That would definitely make the steering easier, not sure if it would hurt flotation or climbing out of creek crossings.
Yep, the further you roll the track forward the easier the steering.

As you can see I have mine adjusted pretty far forward because my use consists of a lot of tight turns at slow speeds. It doesn't bother floatation too much, just have to be careful crossing a ditch

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yep, the further you roll the track forward the easier the steering.

As you can see I have mine adjusted pretty far forward because my use consists of a lot of tight turns at slow speeds. It doesn't bother floatation too much, just have to be careful crossing a ditch

]
Makes sense, I'm going up tonight or tomorrow. There is lots of deep powder and big creek crossings, so I'll leave it as is for now and see how it works.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts