Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend bought a front wheel drive 5.3 and wants some help getting it to bolt up to his TH350......

What am I getting myself into? Is this even possible?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get it. Let's talk about it, but not tell me wtf you are talking about. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I was under the impression that engines like the LS4 were not equipped with the provision to mount a starter to the block.

It is probably not impossible to overcome, but there is a reason why those engines are not desirable.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
What does a stripped out 5.3 cost from someone like LKQ...$400? They made about 8 zillion of them. Probably cheaper to just get the correct motor rather than adapt what you've got. I am no expert in the matter, just know they are abundant.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What does a stripped out 5.3 cost from someone like LKQ...$400? They made about 8 zillion of them. Probably cheaper to just get the correct motor rather than adapt what you've got. I am no expert in the matter, just know they are abundant.
Agreed. However, I'm helping out a friend. Maybe my help needs to be insisting that he part with this engine and get a different one. Sometimes a good deal overpowers good logic.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Its the 60* pattern and has not provision for a starter on the block. One could make a adapter plate and possibly mount a starter on it different from the one linked.

Google picture

If you ran a 60* 700r4 you would need to mount the TV cable on the DBW pedal it self so that's the easiest option. But still need to fab a starter mount.

Then the front drive is different as well the snout of the front of the crank is shorter. I have heard or people running a truck balance on it with no problems though.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found some time to read up on this some last night.

This looks like a nice kit. More than he paid for the whole engine, though.

GM 3800 V6 Adapter Kit to Chev V8 Rearwheel Drive Trans | eBay

Sounds like you have to stick with the starter for that engine, due to the number of teeth on the flywheel. And it has a different bolt pattern so a "normal" flywheel won't work.

There are lots of custom mounts for the starters out there, some much more ghetto fab than others. Most of them mount to the transmission. That's going to be a bit of a challenge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts