Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it take to connect a 4l60e to a 350. The e means electric. What electrical am I gonna have to do? I plan on using a manual shifter if that makes a difference. Thats the only thing I can think of, is for the shifting. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
The "e" stands for electronic, not electric. I'd call painless and or Advance Adapters and see what they say. I don't think you can use this unless you have a fuel injected engine with the correct computer to control the tranny. But I'm not really sure, so thats why I'd call the experts.

With that said, you can use a 700R4 which the electronics can be bypassed with a lock up converter bypass kit from painless wiring.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I assumed the E was for shifting purposes only because I mean hey, it's a tranny....should be all mechanical. I may be wrong though. The casing on the 4l60e is the same as a 700r4 so shifter mounting should be the same too. The only other thing I can think of that the electronic unit would control is the idle being higher in park than in gear. like 1100 instead of 700 rpm. I will be hooking it up to a holley projection setup so it shouldn't be a problem anyways.

·
Banned
471 Posts
Abou the 4L60E

Don't forget that you also have to have computer controlling the trans shifting points, kickdown points, and also t/c lockup. I have
seen a couple of 4L60E's that were completely manual and the
owners were very dissatisfied. They had the high idle problem, and also very inconsistent shifts, when it did shift! I have also
had some experience with trans standalone systems that mount off of the trns shifter and have a couple of line pressure switches, and they have been running very well behind the TBI engines
(with no relations to the transmission!) Any questions just PM me.

Kruzrtek
[email protected]

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
you're much better of running a 1987 thru 1992 700r4 trans otherwise known as the 4L60. painless makes a simple harness to install it in any rig and still get lockup.
the 4L60E has to be run in conjunction with a computer, and needs a serise of other sensors for proper controlls and inputs, such as a vss (vehicle speed sensor), tps (throttle position sensor),.........
better yet, why don't you run a tbi engine? if you run one out of a 93 or newer rig, the computer will already be set up for the 4L60e.
on the other hand, there are 4 different 4L60e transmissions and internal wiring harnesses up till now, and if you start to mix and match, you'll be in for a real headache!:eek:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hows a 1986 700r4 for 100 bucks sound? Its the one BUZZ LIGHTYEAR has been trying to sell for a while. If the 86 is a good tranny, I'd definitely go for it.

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
i'd opt for the 87 or newer, "auxilliary valve body" style. better design, especially if you're gonna run it in anything else than a stock vehicle.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts